Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM original Kustom headers?

Paranoid

Corvette
1970 454 4sp Coupe
Anyone have any info on these pipes? supposedly used on L-88 Vette's and also available over the counter from GM The Item numbers are 3960709 and 3960710 and is stamped into the flange.

Looking for any additional info anyone might share. The primaries run a little different than the Hooker sidemounts and are said to mount without clearance issues. Here's a pic, the silver are Hookers and the black are the Kustom sidepipes.

Thanks
Len

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
Len,

I drove HEAVEN to Flint, Michigan in the winter of '68-'69, right to the Kustom factory. I bought a set from them that Friday and installed them right in the parking lot on that very cold winter afternoon after their closing time.

That's right, I installed them in the parking lot with the car poised over a shallow drainage ditch.....just deep enough for me to crawl under. The biggest inconvenience was disconnecting the clutch cross shaft.

They stayed on my car for approximately 30 years until they dissolved into powder. ;)

The company went out of business many years ago. I agree, they did fit better than Hookers do.

Here they are in use on my car in the early 1970's.

Paranoid

Corvette
1970 454 4sp Coupe
Thanks Bob. That's a funny story, ah the good old days, changing parts on the street or in the bushes. :L Makin mods to your car over the weekend so you can drive it to work on monday.

I wonder if there's a difference in performance with either set of pipes.

Corvette
'67 Marina Blue Convertible
Kustom Equipment was also the supplier for the '67-'68 Camaro Z/28 factory "shipped in the trunk" headers, and for the factory-installed headers on the Cosworth-Vega; was in their shop several times in 1975 when they were making the Cosworth headers.

:beer

motorman

Corvette
2008 Crystal Red Tint Coat
Kustom Equipment was also the supplier for the '67-'68 Camaro Z/28 factory "shipped in the trunk" headers, and for the factory-installed headers on the Cosworth-Vega; was in their shop several times in 1975 when they were making the Cosworth headers.

:beer
i was kustom header dealer back then and i thought they were in standish mich. of course that was a long time ago and a lot of brain cells have died. :D

motorman

Corvette
2008 Crystal Red Tint Coat

Mac

Administrator
Corvette
1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
This may seem like a silly question but are any of the current manufacturers making something like the Kustom header? If it fit better, wouldn't it make sense?

-Mac

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
The Kustoms are a cleaner design. Someone should start making an exact copy.

Bob,

How could you see what you were doing with all of that hair in your face?

tom

A

Altered

I was doing a search and found this post. A little dated post but thought I might mention a possible reason for the difference in design that makes the Hooker look worse is they could be equal length headers. Back in the day that wasn't much thought of but you know how technology has to always ruin a good thing. :crazy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom