Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM's V8 Production Down by Half - Should Next Gen Corvette Adopt a V6 to Keep Up with the Times?

Should The Next Gen Corvette Keep Up With The Times And Adopt A V6?

• Yes

Votes: 41 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 341 87.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters
Never less than 8

I dont really get it! are you driving a vette as a family car or a fun thing to enjoy? cuz I love the sound and kick you get in a V8 vette, nothing has ever compared to it, and the things you cand do and add to that engine are verry diverse, since i was young loved and wanted a vett and most of all work in a v8 , you can never have that feeling in a v6. ajjajaja but if you want 6 get a mustang!!!!!

No. The clear answer is no. Listen to your customers.

Speaking as an owner of cars with all the engines you mentioned:

Leading lines like "or should it stick with the heavier, less fuel efficient V8...." don't bode well. Your mindset is your business. The wording is conflicted with "success of V6 engines such as BMW's inline-6...", please proof read your work.

If you would like to develop a Corvette Prius, getting more than the 30 mpg vette, develop a separate line and see how it sells.

Don't listen to me, but it would make sense to see that Cadillac and Corvette have been the most profitable divisions.

Eliminating one car line, by such a change, would be consistent with GMs business plan over the past 10 years.

Why not!!!!

I think that it would be a great idea as long as it was in the 4 door, bench front seat with the rear seat having those clips for the kids car seats in the back window area corvette. Maybe built in tissue box holders and stain resistant seats and carpet, DVD screens built into the back of the front seat, etc....
:ugh

C7 Corvette

This would be an excellent oportunity for GM to develop a more European approach like
OLDS did in the 90's with the Aurora program had much success in other applications
and aftermarket concepts like Shelby Type 1 and so on... Sure, Take the V8 options
only downsize the Litres say 4.4 or something in that range then add on a supercharger
then w/DFI you have both MPG's and up to 400 HP on tap when needed.
Of course you can always opt for the Higher output LS Engines that w/be available

Corvette is an Icon it should never have a V6.The first Corvette was a 6 cylinder inline and leave that mistake as is for all time.

I absolutely agree!!! If a corvette is ever built with a V6 in it, I won't own one! No way, no how, never. Give me V8 Detroit Muscle all the time baby! :thumb

This would be an excellent oportunity for GM to develop a more European approach like
OLDS did in the 90's with the Aurora program had much success in other applications
and aftermarket concepts like Shelby Type 1 and so on... Sure, Take the V8 options
only downsize the Litres say 4.4 or something in that range then add on a supercharger
then w/DFI you have both MPG's and up to 400 HP on tap when needed.
Of course you can always opt for the Higher output LS Engines that w/be available

Oldsmobile is no longer in business....

People dont buy Corvettes for fuel economy.

Taking the V8 out of Vettes is the same thinking that resulted in the laughable sports cars of the post muscle car era of the 70's-80's (Mustangs, Challengers, etc)

As a side note, the new Chevelle concept car that looks like a Toyota Celica is downright insulting to the Chevelle marque. I hope the GM marketeers pull their heads out of their posterior and shoot that project between the eyes, or at least degrading the Chevelle heritage by so badging that econobox.[/QUOTE]

Kind of like what GM did with the 85 to 88 Chevy Nova. memba that? :ugh They took what once was a respected V8 powered muscle car and made into a small 1.6L 4 cylinder shitbox! :puke

Who are we kidding here ?

The Chevy bullet-proof 'small-block' V-8 will have to stay with the next iteration.....let's not get stooopid !

Save the Wave..........

Mac

The more I think about it... the more I really get concerned that GM might really go with a V6. I don't like that idea... but I really see little choice for GM these days.

:cry

Obama Announces 54.5 mpg CAFE Standard by 2025 - Popular Mechanics
:ugh

PM article linked above said:
Obama Announces 54.5 mpg CAFE Standard by 2025
The new Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standard is now official, and it's aggressive. Today, President Obama announced that the CAFE standard would increase from a target of 35.5 mpg in 2016 to 54.5 mpg by 2025.

:eek:hnoes

That's a jump of almost 20mpg! :W

Really, the long term goal of the current folks in office is to get rid of performance cars.
Their view is that we don't need sports cars, performance cars, or anything that isn't a hybrid. It's about ideology- unfortunately- and less about others and their interests. That's why Pontiac was killed off so easy (first of all, GM wasn't making much from it and second the administration offered money for each brand GM put down as part of the terms of the bailout).

So, really... I have a hard time seeing the venerable V8 survive in the current climate. Yeah, we have six speed autos... but how many gears can be tacked onto a tranny before the returns diminish? How long can we go before the appetite of a large displacement engine eats more fuel than its anemic cousin? I hate it- but so much of the independence that the Big Three once had has been eroded in the last four years. So much so that it is hard for me to see things like they once were.

Could any of us have seen the Prius morph into its own line of cars four years ago? I doubt it- we were too busy cracking jokes about it being a wind-up car. :chuckle

"Change" is here for as long as folks keep electing these people to office. Republicans and Democrats alike.

The impact of a 10 mpg difference for 13 - 30,000 Vettes isn't that great when you are selling a couple million units a year. Pray for the success of the Cruze, Volt and other gas sipping models to offset the Vettes and Camaro.

The impact of a 10 mpg difference for 13 - 30,000 Vettes isn't that great when you are selling a couple million units a year. Pray for the success of the Cruze, Volt and other gas sipping models to offset the Vettes and Camaro.

Amen to that... amen...

Why stop at a V6? Why not an I-4 if you want fuel economy? In fact, why not twin slanted I-4's? Oh wait, that would be a V8. Nevermind.
Before I got my vette I tinkered with Opel GT's. The poor mans vette. They are not the same. GM should keep the V8. Anything less would be an Opel.

6 or 8 cylinders

Personally, I would never purchase a 6 cyl corvette. 4-6 cyolinder engines are always disappointing. My Plate Frame says "If You Passed Me, I Let You" for a reason. When someone challenges me and I push the RPM past 3500, I don't care what they are driving, I have to slow down to let them catch up. 0-65 is mine. I don't care what leaks because I drive a convertible. It is sitting in the garage with the top down. I put it up to wash it. If I want MORE luxury I will buy a Cadillac. I used to own a 1960 Austin Healy Sprite. It did not come with a top.

Sports cars are supposed to be SPORTY. Corvettes are at the top of the roost. If you can't afford the gas, sell the car to someone else who will enjoy it. Why move us down with the chickens. You do know what is in the feathers of the chickens on the lower roost.

6 8 6

Vets went from six'es to v-8's for more power, so why not a six if it has more power and can hold the price down?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom