Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

gps inputs

jimbo64

Corvette
1964 RED CONVERTIBLE
Am thinking of using gps system in the car we travel most in or possible hand held unit so it can be used in all. Anyone have any experience with any of these or can recommend what to buy or stay away from. What's a good one cost and do they work?

Am thinking of using gps system in the car we travel most in or possible hand held unit so it can be used in all. Anyone have any experience with any of these or can recommend what to buy or stay away from. What's a good one cost and do they work?

I do not as yet own a GPS, and although I have been in, and used vehicles that have, this will be a very difficult question to answer.

You have no idea of the large number of manufacturers, and models that there are to choose from. I believe that it would be akin to asking 100 gear heads which is the better car, and you will most certainly get 100 different answers.

Here is a site that might be of help in your choice.

http://gpsinformation.net/

Stepinwolf

have built-in NAV system on my Mercedes SL500, and use a hand-held in the other cars - it is a Garmin StreetPilot (can't remember model) and works great for travel! In fact, I like the handheld better than the NAV system!

BTW - if you need to model, let me know and I can post later tonite

have built-in NAV system on my Mercedes SL500, and use a hand-held in the other cars - it is a Garmin StreetPilot (can't remember model) and works great for travel! In fact, I like the handheld better than the NAV system!

BTW - if you need to model, let me know and I can post later tonite

What is the model number--what size screen does it have, can 12volt recharge or does it have changable batteries. Will need to use on very long trips so not sure what to buy. Something that is easy to follow and accurate. Also thanks guys for the quick replies. Jimbo64

An Alternative

Just picked up a new cell phone that can use Verizon's NAV system. I know it is an awful small screen, but I figured when I was moving I would be listening to the spoken instructions. It is about $3 a day by the day, or $10 a month which you can turn on and off. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but what checking I've done a good GPS is $500 and that will buy a lot of air time.

Good Luck...........................Griz

I have through a bunch of GPS systems, mostly on boats. The Garmin units were always the highest quality and most expensive.

I have the factory GPS in the team car, a Mercedes, a Garmin for the bikes and TomTom for the cell phones and PDA. The TomTom is the easiest to use followed by the Garmin. The one I like least is the factory unit in the Benz.

The TomTom maps scroll smother than any of the others. Quality of guidance is about the same on all of them.

I have older Garmins, Street Pilot 2610's and they are fine, if pricey.

Don't know who makes the factory systems but here's my experience:
Infiniti - sucks. VERY slow response time, easily gets confused.
Lexus and Acura - different screens but both very fast and employ split screens (the Infiniti would switch between one or the other).

I'm not all that hung up on displays per se, but the recalculation needs to be QUICK. That pays off handsomely when traveling 65 and trying to figure out what to do next when you are foreced to take an exit.

Guys, gals, thanks for the quick responses. Have pretty much settled on the garmin 660. Originally leaned toward tom tom 910 but understand their tech service gets a big 0 at least in most of the magazine and personal reviews that I have read. 100's. Garmins brighter screen and larger screen size would be a plus also I think. thoughts. again thanks. jimbo64

I have a Magellan and it works reasonably well. None are perfect, but it is great on trips. My wife works out of town on a regular basis, and it gets her to the motel, the airport, etc.

...my bride was watching QVCHSN or one of those the other day and they were featuring a Magellan for $395....looked pretty decent....TomTom must be kicking their :Buttslap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom