Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Have you seen this kind of VIN plate?-picture

FC4pilot

I was looking at 1985 vette and the owner showed me the clean & clear IL title but the VIN on the title is maching the one inside the drivers door issued by the Illinois State police. The VIN plate under the windshield on the driver's side is missing. Have you seen this before? The current onwer bought the car three years ago like that he said.:ugh:ugh
This a bad picture for not showing the number. Sorry.
IMGP4187_ca.jpg

I've certainly heard they do that when the original is missing or damaged for whatever reason. Havent seen an Illinois one however and I find it pretty interesting so thanks for posting it!
Just from internet gossip and no practical experience it may be OK when sold in that state in future but other states may have a problem with it so therefore the market is limited as no doubt you realise because you thought it irregular :w

I find the placement rather stupid due to its location. The whole idea of having it under the windshield in the first place is its not "easy" to remove from a cars chassis. They are suppossed to be "special rivets"...but really.....That door could easily be switched to say a stolen car in otherwise better mechanical condition of the same color.

thats a dept of revenue replacement vin tag. also its mounted on the door frame not the door.

I've never seen an Illinois VIN plate like that. ;shrug

My 90 has the original vin under the windshield but also has a Texas tag something like that on the drivers door jam.
When I bought it car fax showed it was clean,,, shows what car fax is really worth.
This summer when I had damage repaired, six coats of paint came to light on the rear half of the car.:boogie I was pretty sure it wasn't a virgin when I bought it, now I know. I did buy it right at the time , was buying a driver not a show car.

Glenn
:w

My 90 has the original vin under the windshield but also has a Texas tag something like that on the drivers door jam.
When I bought it car fax showed it was clean,,, shows what car fax is really worth.
This summer when I had damage repaired, six coats of paint came to light on the rear half of the car.:boogie I was pretty sure it wasn't a virgin when I bought it, now I know. I did buy it right at the time , was buying a driver not a show car.

Glenn

Shall I take it that the car was in an accident/stolen or what? What is the purpose of the second VIN plate?

You can be pretty sure the car is salvage or a theft recovery with a 'cleaned' title. See if you can get the tank sticker or the build sheet. I think the build sheet is hidden in the frame around the front suspension somewhere. That way you can get the original VIN and find out what happened.

Scott

Shall I take it that the car was in an accident/stolen or what? What is the purpose of the second VIN plate?

Anybody's guess on that. Most likely a theft recovery. I figure most of the coats of paint are due to Texas hot sun on red paint.

Glenn

Yes I have. Pennsylvania, like a number of states, take a car once it's been stolen and recovered, they issue a 'New' serial number with a special made 'State' id plate. I had to take my car to a Penn. State police garage, and once there they verified the Chassis number Which was the old one issured by Pontiac, then they afix a 'new' serial number plate to the door or dashboard and remove all traces of the old serial number except for the chassis number. Once done, you car is legally registered and numbered in Pennsylvania and if ever stopped by police in another state, the police can affirm the new serial number and owner.

Yes I have. Pennsylvania, like a number of states, take a car once it's been stolen and recovered, they issue a 'New' serial number with a special made 'State' id plate. I had to take my car to a Penn. State police garage, and once there they verified the Chassis number Which was the old one issured by Pontiac, then they afix a 'new' serial number plate to the door or dashboard and remove all traces of the old serial number except for the chassis number. Once done, you car is legally registered and numbered in Pennsylvania and if ever stopped by police in another state, the police can affirm the new serial number and owner.

Can a car with this kind of VIN be sold nationwide?

Carfax with nothing on it tells you exactly that - nothing. It's not a government record, so it's not reliable. Imagine that - government being good for something!!! :L

Carfax with something on it tells you only what's on it. NOT what's NOT on it.

VIN like that? Better get some asbestos vette driving gloves (and some asbestos undies too!!! :L )

I have a friend in Chicago that does auto recovery for an independant insurance fraud company and she says the plate is legit...shouldn't have any problems selling anywhere!

I have a friend in Chicago that does auto recovery for an independant insurance fraud company and she says the plate is legit...shouldn't have any problems selling anywhere!

Thank you for your input.

You can be pretty sure the car is salvage or a theft recovery with a 'cleaned' title. See if you can get the tank sticker or the build sheet. I think the build sheet is hidden in the frame around the front suspension somewhere. That way you can get the original VIN and find out what happened.

Scott

I agree. Don't pay full price for a car with "stories". Remember, the car you buy today, is the same one you'll have to sell tomorrow. And these things are all over the place.

I agree. Don't pay full price for a car with "stories". Remember, the car you buy today, is the same one you'll have to sell tomorrow. And these things are all over the place.

Thank you, I just run away from this deal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom