Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Having My 427 Rebuilt

Stingray74CC

Corvette
Black Cherry 1969 Stingray
I'm going on deployment here soon and wanted to treat myself to a little something when I return...so I decided to have the engine in my car rebuilt. It has been getting progressively worse burning oil/smoking and it's started a knock too!

I'm looking for suggestions as far as internal upgrades. The engine is an L89. I'm pretty sure that I want to through some roller rockers/lifters in I haven't really thought about too much else. If you guys have any suggestions I'd definitely liket to intertain them.

I can't wait to get back to cruising again. It's been too long!

Anthony

Stingray74CC said:
I'm going on deployment here soon and wanted to treat myself to a little something when I return...so I decided to have the engine in my car rebuilt. It has been getting progressively worse burning oil/smoking and it's started a knock too!

I'm looking for suggestions as far as internal upgrades. The engine is an L89. I'm pretty sure that I want to through some roller rockers/lifters in I haven't really thought about too much else. If you guys have any suggestions I'd definitely liket to intertain them.

Anthony

Bore it out to a 454! Get a high rise hood... get a dual plane intake, and side pipes!

Be strong in your deployment, and thank you for fighting for me.

You don't bore to get a 454 you change the crank for a longer stroke. That is what I was going to suggest, put in a 454 crank, the rods are the same and you are replacing the pistons anyway. A 454 will put out about 25 horse more then a identical 427 and as for revs the 454 will easily take 7000.

Anthony, If your vette is smoking and knocking DO NOT drive it. You will surely do more damage driving it in that condition. There are various factors to consider when you start this project. What is the condition of the trans, frame, suspension and overall shape of the vehicle. You don't want to put in a new beefy BB only to have it blow apart the trans or suspension, so timing ( and I don't mean BTDC ) is also an issue. A reputable machine shop, condition of the engine, how much work are you willing or able to do, funds available, what you want out of the engine/ vehicle , are some the items to consider. I just had my 66 L72 rebuilt/blue printed, so if you have the time send me a pm and we can talk. Be Safe Out There and Thanks for being there, Steve

norvalwilhelm said:
You don't bore to get a 454 you change the crank for a longer stroke.

Dude!! :eek I never knew that! I always thought you had to go larger to gain cubic inches... but now that I think about it... makes perfect sense. Thanks for the lesson Norval!

Stingray74CC said:

Anthony
Tony........ Read your Avatar/Home page. Run Silent Run Deep. Have it re-built. Bearings,rings,etal. Also, have it balanced and blue printed. That motor's a keeper. ..... Jr.Birdman/Zoomie

Thanks for the replies. I am having to whole engine done bearing, rings, pistons, crank...all of it. I'll ask for it to be balanced and blue printed as well. Will changing the crank to a 454 crank decrease the value of a '69 427?

SRTHOM13:

That's a good point you brought up. I am having the suspension done at the same time. The transmission and rear are in good shape as far as I know. It'd definitely be a good idea to get that checked out.

You're all welcome; I'm glad to serve. Gotta head out. Ya'll stay safe back here in the States and I'll try to check the site whenever I can.

Anthony

Might not increase the value but the street torque will be up as will the horsepower. As for blue printing it is not a cheap way to go. To properly blue print the motor is machined, assembled, everything checked for clearance and then pulled back apart and machined a second time to these specs. It involves alot of labor and double machining.
As for roller cams, while nice they are expensive and not that much better then a flat tappet.
For the dollar a good rebuild, convert to 454, balance, stick to flat tappet and a good overdrive transmission to top it off.
Makes for a nice around the town car with it's torque and a great open road car with the overdrive.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom