Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headers

Garagetoyz

Corvette
78 Silver Anniversary 4 spd Crate engine
Hello all..I have a 78 silver anniversary with a crate chevy 350. I want to install dynomax mufflers with silver coated headers , but Im not sure which ones to buy.A lot of ppl make them but last time I installed headers on a car the oil filter and the spark plugs were a big problem. Any ideas of which brand to install would be appreciated greatly.

On my 79, which is close to yours, I installed Hedman headers. The only problem was the oil filter, I drop down one size in length, the normal filter fit, it was just a pain trying to get it in and out. Other then that, everything is perfect, fit, easy install etc. I'm sure other headers will work ok also on your 78. I have Hookers on my 72 & 76, but they also have minor issues with the filter and rear plugs. But not a big deal.

I don't know why you'd run into any problems with the oil filter on a crate 350. I tried Hedman headers on my engine and I ran into problems with the steering box. I ended up going with Hooker (Super?) Comp headers. No issues anywhere. You should be able to call a place like Summit Racing or other aftermarket seller, tell them what your setup is, and they can tell you what headers will fit. You'll need to know if the heads have straight or angled plugs...

Garagetoyz said:
Hello all..I have a 78 silver anniversary with a crate chevy 350. I want to install dynomax mufflers with silver coated headers , but Im not sure which ones to buy.A lot of ppl make them but last time I installed headers on a car the oil filter and the spark plugs were a big problem. Any ideas of which brand to install would be appreciated greatly.

I just installed the Dynomax long tube ceramic coated headers on my 350 with a set of Edlebrock angle plug heads and didn't have any problems with the oil filter, however had the heads not been aftermarket with angle plugs, I believe there may have been plug problems. If that is the case, each time you change plugs, you may have to drop the headers loose. A pain in the a$$ to do if you can avoid it with other headers.

Garagetoyz said:

I have those headers. They're the Dynomax "Cyclone Cermamic Coated" headers (part #86008) and will fit 1963-82 Corvettes. Some notes... if you have A/C, you'll also need to use bracket part #88304. Also, these will fit angle heads, factory location only.

I installed these headers without any problems. I found it easier to install by coming up from the bottom of the car (using the next to highest setting on the jack stands). They look great, and so far they have maintained their shine.

With respect to the spark plugs, yes, it is a bit of a pain to get to some of them. However, if you've been following my woes here in CAC, then you know that I've had to install/remove install/remove install/remove install/remove my plugs... so it's not thaaaaat bad.

:beer

I put headers on my black 79 like 20 years ago, don't even think the brand is even made any more(Blackjack). But changing sparkplugs has never been easier, maybe 15 minutes max, nothing at all in the way. Mike

Hooker super comp ceramics here....no dings or anything funny to get them in....went right in from underneath of course...send me your email and Ill send you pics

I went with the Summit $89 headers. I was very pleased, great fit. They didn't interfere with the oil filter or anything else. I also picked up the Hooker dual exhaust kit. I had to modify it to work with the Summit headers. I added some Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers and all worked great.

I am checking out all your your suggestions as I type this.. thank you to all. Headers look amazing on a vette IMO. I think I'm leaning towards the dynomax because a local shop (dougs street shop) is going to install them and this is what he recommended to me yesterday,although I like the look of Hedman and the Hookers so I've got some thinkin to do.... and after all the work I've done to restore this car I want to do it right.. Last time I ventured into headers it was a real pain, heated the oil,plug trouble, leaking gaskets,etc. Seeing all these posts with no real issues I'll give it a go again. Now if I can just find that money tree in the yard...

I have dynomax headers with straight plug Edel. RPM heads on my 76. The install was very easy. A walk in the park compared to installing headers on my old 95 Formula Firebird. Plug clearance could be better, but still not too bad.

Scooter76 said:
I have dynomax headers with straight plug Edel. RPM heads on my 76. The install was very easy. A walk in the park compared to installing headers on my old 95 Formula Firebird. Plug clearance could be better, but still not too bad.

That answers the question I had about the plugs. As stated earlier, these headers can go in from the bottom after the engine is installed, making that part of the changeover much easier. Dynomax looks like a good option, with fairly simple installation...have fun!

I looked under my car after its long winter slumber and found surface rust aaaak. I have access to a lift .any suggestions what to spray on?

Garagetoyz said:
I looked under my car after its long winter slumber and found surface rust aaaak. I have access to a lift .any suggestions what to spray on?
Surface rust on the headers? I'm assuming they aren't ceramic coated or chrome. That being the case, the best way is to drop 'em and sand 'em down by hand, then shoot fresh hi-temp paint on 'em.
Sucks, but...

I kinda jumped topics a bit srry..I have rust underneath the car....Calipers and all on the frame rails,springs etc, now I know it wasnt there last year. Spring unwarapping is supposed to be a happy time:crazy .There is a lot of products on the web but it would be a big help to get a recommendation from here.

Garagetoyz said:
I kinda jumped topics a bit srry..I have rust underneath the car....Calipers and all on the frame rails,springs etc, now I know it wasnt there last year. Spring unwarapping is supposed to be a happy time:crazy .There is a lot of products on the web but it would be a big help to get a recommendation from here.
I'd probably start a new thread either in this forum or in the General Lounge since this could apply to all of our cars. Maybe start in the this C3 section though... you'll get better exposure having your question in the main section rather than buried in this thread about "headers".

I just got back from Summitt Racing and came home with these Hooker Super Competition Headers. Product Description Link

hok-2134-1_w.jpg

I thought thats what I already had on my car, except in the regular black. Turns out, I had just the regular Comps, not the Super Comps.
I did a visual between the current pipe routes and these new ones... I maaay run into problems with the driver side header hitting my steering linkage... Whoops! I guess we'll find out soon! But boy, them sure are purty!

Not sure about your year C3 but my Super Comps went in jst fine...no "bumps" or "bruises" if you know what I mean....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom