Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Heavy Duty Cooling- How did this work?

You asked about a high flow water pump. I'm running a Stewart stage 1 pump in my Vette. Its just a stock casting with an upgraded impeller. I installed it when I put in the new cam and aluminum heads because I'm still using the "small" non AC radiator. My car rarely gets to 200 degrees in traffic.

Kane,

There's a difference in fan clutches between "standard" and "heavy duty". Mechanical thermal clutch fans do not engage at 100% of engine speed...and that percentage (maybe temp too? I don't really remember) is different among types of clutches. I think Hayden has some info on this on their site.

Bill

C2 and C3 Corvettes ran this way right off the assembly line. All half million of them probably. Most other cars did too but since they had only an idiot light instead of a gauge, we were unaware. Mine will rise to 200-210 if I let it sit at idle on a hot day. Always has.

Most modern cars experience similar temperature rise also, in addition to the engines operating at much higher temps to start with. The gauges do not reflect this as they are wired to sit on 'normal' unless there's an actual problem.

Throwing fans, pumps, clutches, etc. at it will probably no little effect.

I had read up on the fan clutches. Seems there are different temperatures and different % speeds for fans.

The '82 seemed to have a one year only fan clutch. It also appears that same clutch was used in the both the HD syst and the standard.

I have the gymkhana suspension- and my VIN is not one the NCM has records on. I am fairly confident I don't have the trailer package which would call for the HD cooling system.

I'm going to look into my fan clutch. It may be a standard unit. I need to check.

I don't think the temperature range was out if whack- but rather was concerned about where it would stop. 30 minutes sitting in drive in traffic and got to 200 isn't what scares me... I think it's not knowing if it will keep going that scares me.

I don't think the temperature range was out if whack- but rather was concerned about where it would stop. 30 minutes sitting in drive in traffic and got to 200 isn't what scares me... I think it's not knowing if it will keep going that scares me.

So try it to find out. Mine peaks out at 200-210ish as stated before and stabilizes till I rev the engine or start moving forward.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom