Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hedman Headers

VAroute66

Corvette
'66 Roadster
I am going through the header fitting exercise ( in my head) for my small block. I found side pipes at Corvette Exhaust System, Sidepipes, Mufflers - Sweet-Thunder.com - 1963 - 1967 Corvette , part #MY4005 Oversized 2 1/2" inner baffle tube. I am planning to use hedman headers. I am having trouble seeing how to get from the header collector to the side pipe the best way. Has anybody got any pictures of this and/or any advice? Thank you.

Regards
Dan

I run Heddmans on my small block 63 with factory style side pipes. It's not that big of a deal. Bolt the headers on, bolt the collectors onto the headers, mount the pipe at the rear and see where you need to cut the pipe and weld the collector onto it.

Rich

Hedman makes a sidepipe header for midyears that points the collector out the side. All you have to do is cut off your side pipe and weld on the collector cone. Summit seems to have the best price.

Hedman #68280

hed-68280_w.jpg

Tom

Here's a some shots of Kid_Agains Headmans connected to Sweet Thunders at our local Hot Rod Exhaust Shop...

Thank you for your input and the photographs, which are especially helpful!

V/R
Dan

Thank you for your input and the photographs, which are especially helpful!

V/R
Dan

Dan.. These shots are from Kid_Agins BB 454... But the placement should be about the same for SB application.

:beer

Viet Nam Vett,

Thanks again for the phtographs as they gave me a good idea of what is involved. Now I need to find a muffler shop that can do it. You also answered something else I was wondering about and that is if I chose to put a big block in my car, it looks that based on the spacial position of the small block header collector and that it is also 3 inches like the small block, the small block system may bolt up to the hedman big block header.

V/R
Dan

just my .02 I had a pair of Headman headers on my Z28 and i could never get them to seal the flange thickness is to thin... this was quite a few years ago but dont really care for that brand yeah... they are cheap but you get what you pay for...
Good luck on your project.. :beer:beer:beer:beer
IntercooledC6

My side pipe headers don't leak anywhere and I've had them on my cars for years.

Rodney did a hell of a job on both cars. I have the SP headers/Sweet Thunder combo on both cars. The liddle block has the Sweet Thunder's from VNV's 502 because the noise was driving him nuts. He has FAR better SP headers than I do so maybe that makes a difference.

I have to say that the connection from the header to the side pipe was NOT a piece of cake on my car. You'll see that one exhaust pipe has a dip down to properly level the side pipe. That's where the expertise comes in. I have an exhaust tubing bender but I can't make that gentle of radius in such as short distance. This is mandrel bent stuff and not a kink to be found. As JohnZ notes, the restriction on the off-the shelf SPs is that 90* bend which is flattened and rippled.

Radio? What radio?

Thanks for posting the pics, VNV! That's me under the lift in the Blue Dickies but you can't see my "Elvis Lives" nametag.

BTW, the shop is Rodney's Performance Exhaust in Egg Harbor City.

Since my small block is on the lift, I'll try to remember to take some pictures of that install also.

Late edit...my chambers are stainless which makes the sound a bit harsher/harder when compared to the aluminized steel. JUST the way that I like it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom