Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP NEED DISTRIBUTOR WIRE ORDER PHOTO

EOLIVER

Corvette
1989 DARK BLU METALIC SIX SPEED CONV
I installed a Hypertech Super Coil in my 89 Six Speed Conv this morning and I followed the haynes manual on the cap firing order but appear to have gotten it screwed up. I have wired it based on the #1 terminal as stamped on the inseide of the cap and continuing clockwise and now no start

Did you replace the rotor?
Is it tightend down by the two screws and is the ignition harness attached to the cap?
Did you properly place the two leads from the coil into the cap so the ignition harness is connected?
Is the carbon high tension button in place under the coil?

The firing order is still 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Thanks for the reply C4 cruiser. The hypertech coil arrived in the box already assembled, do you have to switch out the part you talk of? I did replace the roter with the one that came with the coil. I had marked the wires ion driver side with tape and placed the passenger bank plugs by using the haynes manual (obviusly a mistake and I will be ordering my GM manual ASAP) and at least is fire up although rough idle. At that point I found the firing order you provided on line, located the #1 cylinder on the cap (stamped on the inside of the cap) and started my routing clockwise. So at this point what I really need is a photo of the cap setup

you need to determine where #1 is actually at not go by any picture. The easiest way is to remove the #1 spark plug and have someone bump the motor over while you hold your finger over the hole when you feel pressure that is the compression stroke, line up your timing marks on the balancer and pointer and then start putting your wires in order from where the rotor is actually pointing. The distributor could have been put in a different place then stock on a 18 year old car.
good luck
Craig sr.

BOSSVETTE is correct. If you removed the distributor during installation of the coil, you may have gotten it out of position for #1. If you didn't remove it, #1 will be where the rotor is pointing when you have #1 at TDC. Find TDC and see where the rotor is pointing. That's the #1 position. Start installing the wires from there. You can also determine when #1 is at TDC by shining a light into the spark plug hole and actually see the top of the piston. When it starts to go back down, stop there and note the position of the rotor. That'll be close enough to get the wires installed and then all you'll have to do is time the ignition.

If you didn't remove the distributor but merely loosened it up for some reason, all you should have to do is re-time the engine once everything is back together since it ran before you started fooling with it. It will still start if not timed properly but it will run rough as a cob.

Thanks for all of the help Jeb, bossvette, c4cruiser, I simply removed the #1 plug and bumped it until it lined up on #1 and volla, she started right up without hesitation. This member of the great forum never fail to come through for fellow corvette owners. Thanks again everyone.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom