Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help!- Need specs for side yolk clearance.

Craig1979

Corvette
1979 L82
Trying to resolve a potential wear issue with the side yolks of my 1979 rear supension. I've got about .065" of in-out movement of the side yolks into the center differential. Anyone know if this is excessive (indicating worn factory yolks)? Anyone know what the factory specs should be for this clearance (there certainly must be some operating tolerance)? I'm thinking about buying a factory Assembly Instruction Manual (like from MidAmerica), would this type of info be listed in the manual? Anyone have any input on the value of the Assembly Manuals for the do-it-yourself repair type? Thanks for the clearance specifications anyone can provide. (I'm trying real hard to correct a freeway "wander" condition with my car). Craig

WELL I JUST CHECKED THE ASSEMBLY MANUAL,GM SHOP MANUAL,AND A CHILTON MANUAL AND NO SPEC ON THE SIDE SHAFT END PLAY.THE READINGS YOU'RE GETTING SHOULD BE WITHIN SPEC.FOR SOME REASON THE NUMDER.125"COMES TO MIND.I JUST INSTALLED A NEW REAR INTO MY CAR AND THERE DEFINITELY IS NOTICABLE ENDPLAY.DONT FORGET THOSE SIDE SHAFTS ARE PART OF YOURE REAR SUSP.
OYU MIGHT EVEN TRY LOOKING AT THE STEERING BOX IN YOU'RE CAR.THEY DO NEED TO BE ADJUSTED PERIODIALLY WHICH MOST PEOPLE IGNORE ALSO GIVING YOU THAT WANDER YOU ARE EXPERIENCING

I just bought a AIM for a 1979 Corvette. I'm a big beliver in "Any help is a big help". I find that locating sections in the manual is tiring and you will not find sub-assembly buildup, like the differential, in there. If you will e-mail me with a couple of pages that you would like to see I'll scan them and let you decide if you want to get one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom