Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP Replacing speedometer cable

shotzie988

Corvette
NONE LOST ALL
;help I have ordered a new transducer and cables for my 1981 I checked the cable to speedometer it works fine. How do I replace the transmission cable. I'm new to this all Can it be done by jacking up one side how can I find where the cable hooks up to tranny. you can send *a Private Message or reply in this thread. t also when taking the speedometer cable off the speedometer I pulled lose a Vacumm hose under my dash now my lights wont go down it's from the pull down switch where if you want you can run down the road with lights off but raised both are conected at the pull down switch

**Edited to remove email address at the request of shotzie988. - Jane Ann

Glenn,

Again - welcome to the Corvette Action Center! Hopefully you'll see replies to your post as the New Year celebrations slow down. ;)

You'll find we have a great group of people here and a wonderful sense of community among our members.

Please send me another PM if you need help again!
:wJane Ann

Glen, If your trany is a auto, the spedo cable is located on the side of trans. Drivers side just in front of the cross mount frame. For the headlight bypass. The hose with the blue stripe goes to the bottom port. (closest to the floorboard)

Thanks

I did find where the cable went to the tranny and I'm going to head off to the vette place on Wed to have them fix it my hands are just way to big size 17 ring. LOL . As for the lines I gave up on them I have them fix that also while I'm there to order complete carpet set and seat covers ans door panles also but thanks for your help
Glenn

HELP Update

:boogieThanks for the info I've never ran into this before. Just about to loose my mind. I cant get the transducer off and if I do I don't see how it will come out without taking out the water bottle for the windshield wipers. I a big guy anyway with BIG hands size 17 ring. I don't know if you live near buy or know anyone who does but I found a old man who owns his own upholsteries shop and he said he would re cover my seats both of them from scratch at $375.00 that also includes embroidering of the word corvette on both seats

STILL NOT WORKING

:confused
Well I have had it with the cable deal. Remember I told you the one from tranny moved when car was moving and the one to speedometer would move if you turned it with your fingers. Well today I put on a NEW transducer and hooked it all up just right started down the road and NOTHING ? still will not work I thought I would just drop you a line and let you know how things went with the swap out. LOL no good
Take care

I think the cruise transducer has an adjustment. I would have to look in my manual if I can find it.
tom

Testing the speedometer side of the cable by twisting it doesn't ready tell you if it is intact or the tip is broken off at the gage, without actualy pulling the gage side cable out from the transducer side and seeing if the square off tip is still attached. Some years ago I had to replace my 81's gage side cable, found that undoing the transducer mountings, allowed me to properly insert the new cable and get it inserted in the transducer without strugling in the tight quarters with the transducer mounted. I actualy ended up remounting the transduce in a slightly different position on the fender well to eliminate some of the sharp bend in th cable going to the gage. I haven't had cable problem since (~48 K miles ago). Hope this helps!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom