Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help With Cat-Back Kits!!

M

Matts95LT1

I now have the resouces to upgrade my stock system. Looking for any info that I can get on the Corsa Cat-Back and the Borla Cat-Back. Corsa is priced at 900 and Borla at 1100-1200. Both advertise higher flow but only Borla advertises a horsepower increase, why is this? Does the Borla outperform the Corsa? Some of you guys have bought these systems, help me out if you can. I have a stock 95,
thanks
mj

Matt, I don't know why Corsa doesn't state any HP increases, though, like Borla, will be minimal. Even the best system on an LT1 like yours will only offer maybe, and I mean maybe, a 10hp gain over stock. I have heard of many people using the muffler elems. with great success. They are cheap, sound great, and offer the same performance as the big names.

I hope this helped answer your questions, maybe someone else will chime in.

Eric

Very Cheap!!!

I just bought some KBD Eliminators and they sound KILLER. They are basically four short little glass-packs with 3" chrome tips, so you get a straight through design. Just keep the cats for your torque. At $150, they are a good buy. They also help clean up the underside of your car. The only thing about them is that they can be a little difficult to get perfectly lined up at the back but I'm sure any good muffler shop can have em on straight in no time.

Go to http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=27925&dept_id=1329
I would show you a pic but I havent any of my new system yet....perhaps I will make a page as a shrine to my Vette!

Ohhhh....I should have looked at the year you have. BLAST!

Matt

I have the Corsa Power Pulse system, and I would NOT recommend that system. For what the system costs, the quilty of fit was poor and needed some fabrication, I actually had to do some cutting and welding. I would go with the Borla.

If you want more specific detail I will mail you my work number.

Flowmasters Flowmasters Flowmasters.......they are the cheapest full system, which changes more of the stock exhaust system than just muffler eliminators do (less restriction). They sound good, and they are 400-500 bucks cheaper than corsa, B&B, and Borla.

I do believe the biggest thing that seperates the Borla/Corsa from the FlowMaster is that the Borla/Corsa are stainless steel while the FlowMaster is aluminized.

I guess it really depends on what you need. Do you really need to get a stainless system? They also have FlowMasters with stainless tips so you're still lookin' good!

mj,
When I looked at Corsa I sent their tech folks a note asking why they didn't show HP/TQ along with the increased flow ratings. I asked for a specific dyno output on an LT1 Vette. They sent me an image of a dyno run on a stock 95 LT1 / 6sp. It gained 10hp and 10ft/lbs from 2Krpm-5Krpm+. Measured at the rear wheels.
Graham

Has anyone done an X-pipe? Bassini does not make one, but I know you can get them custom made ($100 at a local shop here in Denver). Just curious. I was thinking of running that and then straight out or maybe mufflers or eleminators if it was too loud.

I am just curious if anyone is using anything different for a crossover/H-pipe/X-pipe type deal. The resonanace bugs me (loud outside is ok though.)

Mike

I agree with Trance, I installed the Flowmaster catback system on my 91 ZR-1. Took about one hour on a hoiste and everything fit perfect. Sound is mellow up to 4000 rpm, 4000 rpm to 7000 rpm it gets loud. Money did not play into the decision, it was made on the sound of the system.

warren s said:
Matt

I have the Corsa Power Pulse system, and I would NOT recommend that system. For what the system costs, the quilty of fit was poor and needed some fabrication, I actually had to do some cutting and welding. I would go with the Borla.

Sorry to hear you had trouble Warren,
My Corsa fit damm near perfect right out of the box on a 96 Vert.
I've had it off and on many times for other mods and maintenance on other parts requiring exhaust system removal.
Never had a problem with re-installation.

Matt,
Corsa sound is better than Muffler Eliminators on a LT1 (my opinion)
Corsa's are a straight thru design, both the resonator in the middle of the car, and the mufflers at the rear.

Flowmaster's are not a bad choice either, but you will need an exhaust shop to install them.

Everbody will have differnt opinions on exhaust systems, Best bet is to check out cars like yours that have differnt exhausts in person, check your local Corvette Club, check car shows in your area, ect..., Most owners will gladly fire up there Vette so you can hear it.

I have just went with Muffler eliminators from Mid West,polished LT1 tips,intallation was easy,The sound is awsome,$125 for the kit,another $80 for my muffler guy to do an awsome job welding and aligning up,so total package, $205,opps sorry $225, I gave him a $20 bill for a fine job done,so for that amount of dough U cant go wrong,I have sound, better performance and Looks great,It cleans up the underside not having them garbage cans hanging there. good luck and happy Motoring..RoCkOn..PeAcE

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom