Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with motor vacuum

Fred's Vettes

Corvette
1969 Blue/Black 1969 Green/Green Project
I am having a problem trouble shooting a rapid fluctuating needle between 13" and 16"Hg. The vacuum tends to smooth out on acceleration but is very erratic at idle.I'm taking the reading directly from the manifold port and find no gasket leaks. Do valve guides sound like the problem ? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Fred

Have you adjusted the idle mixture screws for highest steady vacuum, or are you just reporting what you saw when you connected the gauge without adjusting them?

Hi, the carb is adjusted and still have a very erratic needle between 15Hg and 12Hg. I'm leaning toward a valve leaking. Haven't done a leakdown test yet. If you have any ideas let me know, Fred

I am having a problem trouble shooting a rapid fluctuating needle between 13" and 16"Hg. The vacuum tends to smooth out on acceleration but is very erratic at idle.I'm taking the reading directly from the manifold port and find no gasket leaks. Do valve guides sound like the problem ? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Fred

Fred,

When you say that you find no gasket leaks, did you mean that you checked the intake manifold gaskets for leaks? If not, then use WD-40 (while using the little red straw to minimize the mess). Spray at the joint between the intake edge where it contacts the cylinder heads. If the idle speeds-up or smooths out, then you have a leak. Carburetor cleaner works well also.

Now, it is important to check the spark plugs, for if they're fouled, then you'll misread symptoms, and it will send you on a goose chase. You don't need to put new ones in, but if they're fouled, then you must clean them out with a wire brush. While you're at it check the gaps.

A bad Idle fuel/air mixture adjustment can cause this. Q-Jet carburetors usually require between 2 2/3 turns out from bottoming to 3 1/3 turns out INITIALLY. Holleys usually require an initial of 1- 1/2 turns.

Sometimes old and cracked-up ignition wires will cause this as well. The number of misses increases dramatically. As you loose and gain cylinders in every cycle, it gives the appearance of a rough idle or surging.

On stock advance timing cannisters, the advance is set during manufacture. I've heard of defective cannisters causing this. If it is a after market cannister, the neutral setting is about 7 turns in after having back-out the setting screw. You will need a 3/32" Allen wrench for this.

A leak-down test would be good at this point if none of the above fixed the problem.

GerryLP:cool

valves adjusted too tight? check to make sure the cam is good too and no bent parts.

I'm leaning toward either mis-fireing ignition, or too tight lifter adjustment. In any case your vacuum should be up around 18" at idle.
Let me know if you need an extra eye on the problem. I'm just a half hour away. And I have a cutaway valve cover for doing lifter adjustments.

I'm leaning toward either mis-fireing ignition, or too tight lifter adjustment. In any case your vacuum should be up around 18" at idle.
Let me know if you need an extra eye on the problem. I'm just a half hour away. And I have a cutaway valve cover for doing lifter adjustments.

Pete,

Can you post a picture of those cutaways? I need to make a set. Or can they be bought that way???

Jim

just use an old valve cover, these are rather crude but have served me for years ;LOL
DSC02716.JPG

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have double checked the intake for leaks and it is fine. The carb adjustment is at the highest idle vacuum and rpm. I'm replacing the plug wires as we speak and the plugs are new with no miles on them. This is on a year long frame off project and just another bump in a long road. I have a cut out valve cover with the clips also ,so will do another adjustment when the wires are done. Thanks again, Fred

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom