Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How are the 1996s holding up?

KingCorvette

Corvette
Just wondering? My buddy has a 1996 auto LT1 Torch Red coupe.
He has only 18k miles. He was asking me if these vettes hit a certain
mileage and then things need a lot of repair. His 1996 is flawless and
if he sold it now he could get a good price. If he keeps the Vette the
more miles will decrease the value. Hes not sure to keep this mint
1996 or sell now and get into a 2002-2004. What do you think?
And how are your 1996s holding up?

I have a 96 auto LT1 Z51 withh 73k miles and it is holding up Great (knock on wood;))... I would not sell one with 17k miles... I would use it because the 96 is the last C4 and you will not find anything new that is like it...

Just wondering? My buddy has a 1996 auto LT1 Torch Red coupe.
He has only 18k miles. He was asking me if these vettes hit a certain
mileage and then things need a lot of repair. His 1996 is flawless and
if he sold it now he could get a good price. If he keeps the Vette the
more miles will decrease the value. Hes not sure to keep this mint
1996 or sell now and get into a 2002-2004. What do you think?
And how are your 1996s holding up?

Mine has 42,000 miles and runs like new. Looks good too. I'm sure a well maintained 96 will last a long long time. One with only 18K is virtually new. Right now he knows what he has. Buying a used 2002-2004 does possibly present some risks as does buying any used vehicle.

Simple solution...your buddy should test drive some 2002-2004 Vettes. If he likes one more than his 96, then buy it and sell the 96. Otherwise keep the 96.

But if he's going to fret about the value decreasing on the 96 as he puts on mileage then he should sell it anyways as the pleasure factor will be ruined by his worrying about the decreasing value. Besides, even if he goes for a 2002-2004, its value will still drop as he drives it and if he worries about that, then he is right back where he started. Fact of car ownership, even Corvettes, is that as you use them and put on mileage the value tends to drop. I say, forget about the money. Test drive a newer Vette and enjoy your decision whichever way it goes.:v
RG

Read my signature carefully. I believe it says it all! :beer

WHILE ON THE FENCE ABOUT YOUR '96, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!

This is my opinion, these cars are built to drive and enjoy, if you cant do that then, you shouldn't own one. Its that simple. Can you tell I hate trailer/garage queens??? Besides I bet if a Corvette could talk it would want to go for a drive. :lou

I could not have said this any better! :beer

WHILE OUT DRIVING YOUR VETTE, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!

Just bought a 1996 Polo Green LT1, 51000 miles and loving every minute of driving it. I am one to keep it clean and garaged but I also like getting it out and having lots of fun. Keep driving and I look forward to seeing yall on the road.

I think what everyone is saying is that the 96 LT1 Corvette is a really nice driving machine... It would be a shame if it sat in the garage and didnt get used properly...

Forget how much its worth. If you like the car, just use it and enjoy every second of it... Thats what Vettes are for!!!!!!:cool:thumb

If nothing else, he should keep the 96 and maybe get a high mileage C5 for a daily driver. Drive the C4 when he wants, and keep loading up the C5 with more miles.

I bought my LT1 with 61k miles in Feb of 2007 and I now have about 69k miles. It will probably reach 70k early next year. I have only put about $500 into it in repairs so far and will be replacing the shocks and tires next year. All in all, I don't think that is too bad in repairs for a 13 year old car! With the low mileage on your buddys car, I wouldn't worry about putting mileage on it and enjoy the ride! With care and maitenace, the LT1 engine will last a long time and many miles!! :)

So far Ive only had to replace a parking bulb and have driven the car daily. I do hear much on the Opti system on the C4 of a issue. I will be taken the car in for a pressure check and look for any leaks. I have notice a small amount of transmission fluid about the size of a dime on the floor, was told it was from the shift lever seal. The car runs great and i will continue to drive and enjoy it.

have a 95 pace car with 9600 on it, needless it say it runs great and starts before one revalution of the engine. it seems to be a fine machine. we are very happy with it at this point............................Billy:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w

I do hear much on the Opti system on the C4 of a issue.
The Opti is always the first thing to get blamed when a LT engine starts running rough or won't start,:L I believe it's a silly rumor started by a bunch of "Parts Changers" that don't understand the importance of grounding and wiring connections of Electronic Components!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

:thumb :D

I agree with gmjunkie on the insure all electical items and grounds are in great working order. That comes with knowing your car and not waiting for it to break down before it becomes an issue. I do keep on top of the coolant and waterpump leakeage as that seems to be the opti worst enemy. Good pressure check never hurt anything, just alittle time. I believe that i picked up a great C4 and the pride shows in the past owner. See you guys on the road.

I can't imagine why people don't drive these cars! I guess they are saving them for people like me. :D Like it was said before, if he is worried about the miles he'd better sell it, but me....me, I'd drive that baby.

If you save the mileage on it you are depriving yourself of the fun of driving it. The next owner is gonna drive it so drive it like it was meant to be driven and ENJOY!! If you are an investor or a collector that's fine but I know a guy that has over 40 vette's and he drives one of them. What a waste!!

Besides you never know if your going to wake up tommorrow.

I think it's the care they receive that matters most. If anything needs fixing, just do it correctly. Most people (not Corvette-literate) think my '96 is almost new :) and in 10 more miles I'll only have 114,000 miles. It's great on gas, 16 city, 25 mpg driving to Phoenix. It seems pretty durable and comfortable too. So I give it a big :thumb

I only passed 111,000 miles last night. Seems like I have a few to drive to catch up to you! :thumb

And all my miles have been driven by me. Great miles, great times and most important GREAT friends! :beer

WHILE DRIVING HOME FROM FUNFEST, BE SURE TO SAVE THE :w!

I was watching HD theater last night, they were showing the Bloomington Mecum auctions. There were some really neat cars, but the one that made me wonder was a 1988 Roadster Silver/Black top/Red interior, it was one beautiful car.....5 miles....yes. you read that right 5.8 miles. Who could do that? It sold, for about half what the window sticker showed...so what did the person gain? They never got the enjoyment of driving it and it was not a great investment, just saved it for the next guy. I don't get it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom