Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

how best to start body prep?

CHEV66JB

Corvette
'59 Corvette #5366
Hi all,

I am eager to get to work on my '59 rear clip, and was wondering all of your thoughts on doing prep work on the body. The body has been stripped of its original silver paint prior to my buying it, and I wondered what you all thought I should do next?

I have a DA sander and an air compressor, and wondered the following:

1. since this is my first time w/fiberglass, do I go with the most minimal grit sanding discs?

2. how would be the best way for me to primer the body, and what is the most recommended type of primer? I don't have a spray gun at this time, but wouldn't mind buying one if I can get some instruction from "the experts" 8^]

Thanks,

CHEV66JB
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jbiii/project_59.htm

Well quite an adveterous task at hand building a car from the clip.But I am not a body man NOR a corvette exspert but I feel the best way to staighten a corvette body is with a sanding block not with a da If a da is used improperly it makes waves in the finish because most people only use a tiny section of the allready small surface area of the sanding disk on the da.

Good luck and keep us posted

Re:

Thanks IH2LOSE,

Yeah, it's a bit of a challenge, but I pretty much did it with my '66, and will never have the "extra" funds lying around to buy a complete '59, so this is the best I can do.

When you mention the sanding block, do you simply mean one of those small 3-4" rubber blocks that has slits in the edges to hold the paper? Wow, that will take some time I think.

CHEV66JB

You need to Read, Read, Read and then find a trusted mentor. Fiberglass has some idosyncrasies that you wont run across on steel cars. Is the gel coat intact? If not the two schools of thought are regel or at a minimum a polyester primer (Evercoat) to nail down all those loose ends even before you start your fill and sand. Other wise they WILL come through eventually. I've also heard the purists say to leave the ripples. There is nothing finer than a mirror finish though. I took all of the filler out of mine and glassed the boo boo's. I prefer hand sanding with a somewhat soft foam sanding block, flat on one side -curved on the other - about 8-10" long. The paper is held on by you. Also cross hatch your sanding strokes 90 degrees to each other. You are in for a LOT of work - but very rewarding when you are done...

Re:

Thanks for the info Elsey- I know I will definitely have alot of work ahead of me, but it will be the last project car I do, and I'm only 32, so I still have plenty of time to learn, right? I just want to make sure I do it right. I just finished most of the bodywork on my '66 Chevelle, and although it's metal and not glass, it's taught me about the order in which to do things.

As for the gelcoat, you can see the rear clip at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jbiii/ Just click on the "Project 59" link. My guess is it's no longer there, since the whole body has been sanded down to the original fiberglass. But, feel free to take a look and tell me what you think-

I am very excited about this project, and even if it takes me 10 years to complete, 'Vettes are just plain worth it 8^]

Regards,

CHEV66JB
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jbiii/

PS anyone who wants to see pics of the '59 my dad had when he was a kid can go to my link above and click on the "Dad's '59" link. Enjoy!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom