Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! How can I replace Hurst handle with stock look chrome ball T?

johnhom1

Corvette
64 Red Coupe, 68 Red Coupe
I just acquired a 1964 coupe small block with a 4 speed manual transmission.

I has a Hurst shifter with a T-Handle. I don't like the look and ordered a Chrome ball and T handle from Eckler's. It is supposed to fit the Hurst shifter, but I can't see how it would fit as a replacement handle.

Does anyone have advice on how to get a stock looking ball and handle on this setup?

Thanks - John in PA :duh

Zip Products sells a replacement, stock appearing shifter and ball to fit your Hurst linkage.

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the tip! :)

John,

I could be wrong...

To bolt on the replacement look-a-like handle, you need a Hurst shifter with a bolt on handle.

You may have a really "old" style Hurst shifter. The really old style does not have a bolt on handle.

Pat

Hi Pat,

You are right, the mounting system is different. It does not fit at all.
Where do you think I can get a replacement handle that looks stock corvette for an old style Hurst linkage?

Thanks - John

Hi Pat,

You are right, the mounting system is different. It does not fit at all.
Where do you think I can get a replacement handle that looks stock corvette for an old style Hurst linkage?

Thanks - John

I have never seen one.

I ran into the very same situation with my '66. I bought a used Hurst shifter with the bolt on handle, cheap on eBay. Took the best parts from each to make up a good shifter. Then bolted the look-a-like handle on.

Some would say it would be just as easy to install the correct GM shifter and be done with it. Me, I like the Hurst and being able to remove the handle before pulling the trans or engine is a plus.

Pat

Pat,

That is an interesting thought, just going back to all stock replacement GM shifter.

Do you think the the Hurst is that much better as a shifter over the original GM?
Additionally, does installing a Hurst setup devalue the car at all in your opinion?

Thanks - John

Pat,

Do you think the the Hurst is that much better as a shifter over the original GM?
Additionally, does installing a Hurst setup devalue the car at all in your opinion?

Thanks - John

John,

I can't comment on which is better because I have never had an original GM shifter in a Corvette.

De-value the car? I doubt it. Switching back to original wouldn't be a big issue. If the car was original in every other way, it might knock a bit off.

If you plan to have the car judged by NCRS, you will lose some points for the Hurst.

Hurst shifters were much better than the factory shifters in Chevelles . I would think they used the same quality in all the cars.
I have a factory installed hurst shifter (4 sp) that came from something like a late 60s GM. It has the bolt on handle but the bolt pattern runs front to rear not let to right.I would assume yours bolts to the trans and not the body?
I do have a factory shifter from a 74 vega which bolts to the body. It has the round handle with the T handle reverse lockout release and bolts on with the front to rear bolt patern.
If it would help you out ,any part or all of it you can have for cost of shipping.
I would even consider trading the hurst I have for your hurst.

Glenn
:w

Glenn,

How hard is it to remove from my 64? I think it bolts to the transmission.

Pat,

That is an interesting thought, just going back to all stock replacement GM shifter.

Thanks - John
I rebuilt 2 GM shifters with the GM kit and both of them rattled (especially with A-C running) and occasionally left me in 2 gears - unable to move without crawling under the car and putting the trans in neutral.

Since installing an antique Hurst shifter 13-14 years ago: no noise, no being stuck in 2 gears.

I have since sold the spare rebuilt GM shifter and bagged the other for some future purist owner.

To bolt on the replacement look-a-like handle, you need a Hurst shifter with a bolt on handle.

You may have a really "old" style Hurst shifter. The really old style does not have a bolt on handle.

Pat

Correct - in order to use the "look-alike" Corvette bolt-on handle, you need a later-design Hurst shifter with the bolted (instead of welded) handle attachment.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom