Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How does the C4 platform stack up against current pony cars?

B

Brett

This might be difficult to answer, but I am curious how the C4 platform compares to current pony cars, such as the new Mustang, and the upcoming Camaro/GTO (even though it isn't out yet) Zeta platform.

Obviously the C4 had a superior platform to pony cars of its day, but has current pony car technology caught up/exceeded? For example, would the new Camaro potentially handle better than a C4?

And I'm speaking more from a handling/put the power to the pavement standpoint, not straight line acceleration times.

This might be difficult to answer, but I am curious how the C4 platform compares to current pony cars, such as the new Mustang, and the upcoming Camaro/GTO (even though it isn't out yet) Zeta platform.

Obviously the C4 had a superior platform to pony cars of its day, but has current pony car technology caught up/exceeded? For example, would the new Camaro potentially handle better than a C4?

And I'm speaking more from a handling/put the power to the pavement standpoint, not straight line acceleration times.

My 95 handles better than the Mustangs (I suggest you take a test drive in each to see which you like better) as for the Camaro I don't know but if history is a judge the C4 will probably carve the cornvers better. As for the newer goats my C4 handles better.

The reason why I state my C4 vice C4s is there are some BEAT C4s out there. The only C4 I know for sure is mineL however, my suspension is nolonger stock!

Well, this post is purely speculation on my part. Now the disclaimer said here's my take. Even though the C4 chassis design is 20+ years old it was light years ahead of anything at the time. Not many cars today can pull 1g in turns the way the 84 could. My brother has a BMW Z3 and he thinks it handles pretty good, but I think my 94 handles and performs much better. The newer cars you mention have more power but will they outperform a 11-14 year old car, I don't know, but, the C4's were very well balanced cars power/weight/performance.

The C4 at about 3300 pounds has a weight advantage of 300-700 pounds over many of the high performance cars of today. The new GTO weighs about 400 pounds more. The same goes for the new Charger and Mustang. The dealers are quick to advertise the 400+ horsepower but they don't mention the cars handle like a brick compared to lighter more agile cars like the C4. The average car buyer doesn't know this, but if you've driven a C4 or later corvette for any length of time you will immediately see the difference in handling and performance. The engine of the C4 is pushed back to the firewall so that the engine weight falls behind the front wheels. Look at it on paper, flip the engine to just in front of the rear wheels, move the cockpit up and you have a mid engine car, all else kept constant. So the C4 has basically the same 50/50 weight distribution of many mid engine cars only difference is the engine and driving position are switched. The weight of a mid engine car and the C4 corvette is mostly between the wheels and not above the wheels like most cars. They needed to move a lot of the weight to the back of the C5 and C6 just to achieve the balance the C4 had so the powertrain was modified to move the weight back. So I'd say a C4 can easily run with many of them, even though it has less horsepower. Add a few mods to your C4 and it can easily be made to blow the doors off these newer cars in both accelleration and handling. And the C4 rides a lot lower to the ground (lower center of gravity), has wider tires (better grip), and has better weight distribution than most of the cars of today. I agree the corvette was way ahead of its time.

The C4 at about 3300 pounds has a weight advantage of 300-700 pounds over many of the high performance cars of today. The new GTO weighs about 400 pounds more. The same goes for the new Charger and Mustang. The dealers are quick to advertise the 400+ horsepower but they don't mention the cars handle like a brick compared to lighter more agile cars like the C4. The average car buyer doesn't know this, but if you've driven a C4 or later corvette for any length of time you will immediately see the difference in handling and performance. The engine of the C4 is pushed back to the firewall so that the engine weight falls behind the front wheels. Look at it on paper, flip the engine to just in front of the rear wheels, move the cockpit up and you have a mid engine car, all else kept constant. So the C4 has basically the same 50/50 weight distribution of many mid engine cars only difference is the engine and driving position are switched. The weight of a mid engine car and the C4 corvette is mostly between the wheels and not above the wheels like most cars. They needed to move a lot of the weight to the back of the C5 and C6 just to achieve the balance the C4 had so the powertrain was modified to move the weight back. So I'd say a C4 can easily run with many of them, even though it has less horsepower. Add a few mods to your C4 and it can easily be made to blow the doors off these newer cars in both accelleration and handling. And the C4 rides a lot lower to the ground (lower center of gravity), has wider tires (better grip), and has better weight distribution than most of the cars of today. I agree the corvette was way ahead of its time.

Nice job! Always felt the C4 was ahead of it's time. I like the balance.

nothing new

the c4 was not any radical new creation, just a matter of taking long known and proven technology and putting in into one package...newer Cx models have raised engine compression ratios and shaved weight to help sales by notching up performance (too bad newer styling has hurt), but the c4 is timeless, unless the laws of physics change.

the c4 IS too heavy, but power assists, carpeting, music(?) systems, etc ,etc,-- all add weight...necessary for ''general'' sales appeal, fortunately readily removed by the true performance buff who the ''general'' buyer types emulate.

c4 rear axle ratios are horrible for all except those few who have access to a venue where 150+ mph speeds are not suicidal...cafe fuel consumption, sales appeal of never-to-be-used top speed capability, etc., over-ruled the installation of rear axle gearing that will give superior acceleration...fortunately, again, remedy is close-at-hand.

just roll up your sleeves on a few weekends, and current ''ponies'' AND near-future ''sporting models'' will only get fleeting glances of your C4 tail lights....and be ''emissions legal'' at worst, ''greener'' if you drop weight and corresponding fuel comsumption.

Current Rustang is 4-500# heavier and has a live axle at the rear. If you ask me, the C4 will out handle the new Rustang anywhere. It's a brick!

The Camaro concept car has independant rear axle but I don't know what the final weight will be. We'll have to wait and see on that one. Ditto the new Challenger.

As already mentioned, the current GTO's, SRT8's, etc., are all 4-700# heavier than a C4. When it comes to handling, weight is a killer.

The C4 hands down. They are built out of race car type components.

BUT the newer cars beat the C4 in the squeak department, I will give them that, the Mustang gets the squeak award and the C4 will get the checkered flag.

I give the new pony cars the brick award. ;LOL;LOL;LOL

Give me any C4 with a good frame, $15000 and a few weekends; I will give you a Beemer eating, Porsche ****ing, Italian Intimidating animal that will out accelerate, out brake and out corner any of the new pony cars and most of the mega buck Euro exotics.

Or give me a low mile stock ZR-1 and I will give you a mile of :D:D:D:D:D:D.
(still looking for the ¨right¨ ZR-1 after selling the wrong one):W

The dual overhead cam 32 valve ZR-1 sounds better than any car in the world when its pulling hard. :BOW

Some time ago I compared my '92 with the current Jag roadster and found my 10 year old base engine car was the equal to their new design. A ZR-1 would have them for breakfast.

I had often thought of a newer C5, but after a "few" road challenges from 2 GT's and even an 97 C5, I will stay wiht the 10 year old LT-1. Next up, Gear change..... I had thought of going to 3.73's over 4.11's, but now I am thinking of the 3.55's.......... A mistake?

Give me any C4 with a good frame, $15000 and a few weekends; I will give you a Beemer eating, Porsche ****ing, Italian Intimidating animal that will out accelerate, out brake and out corner any of the new pony cars and most of the mega buck Euro exotics.

Or give me a low mile stock ZR-1 and I will give you a mile of :D:D:D:D:D:D.
(still looking for the ¨right¨ ZR-1 after selling the wrong one):W
:beer:beer:beer:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom