Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How hard is it to recover old seats?

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
My '81 needs new seat covers, however the "mounted" covers on new foam are a no go. First reason, the price. Second reason, the new foam adds too much height to the seat and my head hits the t-tops (I'm 6'2 and all torso). So, I thought maybe I would buy just the covers and install them on the old foam. How difficult is this to do? This is for 78pc-82 seats. Can just anyone do it? Is there a certain trick or tools needed? Thanks for all replies.

-Tatortot

Last edited:
22229 hi, not sure if this will help but I go to this site periodically: http://rowleycorvette.com/repairs.html
You can get to the home page for them of course, at page bottom if you want to see what else they do. regards. Actually, you have the 81 right? I just got an 82 and need to sew the drv seat cushion... might you know how I can get it out of the car? I can lift the bottom up just fine but it appears to be attached in two spots on the back portion and I can't see how to un hook it. Thank for any info :>)

The seat back cushion is held in place with a wire spring frame like the seat bottom. Take the bottom out first by pushing rearward on the front part of the cushion to unclip it from the two tabs holding it in place and pull it out forward.
The seatback also has tabs holding it in place, you will need to put your fingers up under the cushion and push up the wire frame from the bottom to unclip them. They are really strong so you will have to use a lot of muscle.

:w NewVetter,

The bottom cushon has two indentations on the bottom plastic frame that a V shaped wire from the seat bottom fit into.

If you look at the photo attached you'll see in the upper left a breakdown of it. To unhook it you need to PUSH the bottom seat cushon from the front back toward the back cushon and lift up. The two V shaped locking points will release and allow you to remove the seat cushon ;)

The back support cushons are another story ;)

Good Luck... I've had my completely apart and had the bottom of the driver side bolster replaced by a local interior hotrod shop.. then cleaned everything up and did some touch up on the frame before re-installing everything. It's not a really difficult job, and well worth the efforts ;)

Bud

attachment.php

Thanks Bud,
Pictures help a lot.
I did my own seat covers and it was about 8 Hrs. / seat.
I saved a few bucks, but it's worth spending $$ to get somebody else to do it.:)

I relpaced my covers on the old foams. the problem is the new covers are made for unmatted foam. They fit but you may need to build up the sides with half inch foam.

Here is what you need. The new covers of course, some half inch thich foam, buy the rod set and hog ties ("c" shaped stapes), hog tie plyers and a "L" or "j" shaped tool to grab the ties so you can pull them through and onto the bar.

Its time consuming but actually very easy. You will notice the rods are of all different sizes. Match them up with what is there first so you know which rod goes where.

Use a pair of tin snipes to cut off the old hog ties.

Remember seats covers already on foam included the rods and hog ties...they are finished product. Compare the price of the finished product to the price of all the things you will need. I think you will find the cost is similar. You can buy a four inch bolster or a two inch bolster make sure you get the right one.

Willcox has the best prices. http://www.willcoxcorvette.com

Jim

Jim

Thx guys for removal inst. I just now tilted drv seatback fwd and instead of pushing up from bottom, I grabbed the 'top of the bottom' seat, where it comes up and meets the upper seatback, and pulled upward, came right out:>) I have two seems that let go, one where side meets bottom and other where smooth front part of bottom meets up with the very bottom where you sit. so then this 'covering' that I see kind of stapled on to the foam is replacable by me... hmm looks like a little bit of a job. Will investigate. Was hoping to sew it up myself but that looks like a no go unless can get at it from underside. Will post what I end up doing. THX again all. Regards!

If its just a seam you can sew it. Order some hog ties and get your self a set of hog tie plyers first. Cut off the existing hog ties...remove the cover from the foam and repair it. Then reinstall with the hoge ties...just that alone will make hug difference in appearance.

Jim

Wow it sounds difficult.... Maybe I should rethink this. 8 hours per seat? And if I need to buy foam as well, that defeats the purpose. I had new seats on foam, had them installed, however the new foam was just too much, and I could barely fit in the car. I returned them. So it sounds like I'm kinda out of luck. Could an upholstry shop do this for me? I mean, I buy the covers, give them the seats, and they make them fit? Does it have to be an automotive upholsterer? Thanks for the replies.

-Tatortot

:w Tator,

Sounds like you went with the 4" bolster... :nono go with the 2" bolster and I think you'll find them to be a lot more comfortable... ;)

Bud

Bud,

It wasn't just the seat backs, the foam was not compressed at all, so my knees were hitting the steering wheel while it was in the up most position! It was almost unsafe to drive. The seat was in the lowest, most far back position, I just couldn't fit comfortably.

cj5nutz,

The resotration program they have is only for pre-78pc seats. I would have sent them off right away if it was a possibility.

-Tatortot

22229stingray81 said:
Bud,

It wasn't just the seat backs, the foam was not compressed at all, so my knees were hitting the steering wheel while it was in the up most position! It was almost unsafe to drive. The seat was in the lowest, most far back position, I just couldn't fit comfortably.

cj5nutz,

The resotration program they have is only for pre-78pc seats. I would have sent them off right away if it was a possibility.

-Tatortot

Thats a bummer !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom