Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How I mounted my GPS in my C5

s'noJob

Corvette
2004 Arctic White Coupe
Here’s how I mounted my GPS in my C5. It happens to be a Garmin nüvi 855, but I imagine the procedure would work with other GPS units as well.

Instead of mounting the GPS in the center of the windshield or elsewhere in the central area of the console, I chose to locate the GPS to the left of the dash cluster next to the “A” pillar with the unit’s supplied suction cup mounting system.

The wiring configuration provides very little “cable clutter” and there’s no need for drilling holes, as the setup uses existing dashboard attachment screws. The cable can be removed in about ten seconds leaving no traces of having been mounted.

In practice, I found the GPS is just as user-friendly and less distracting than a centrally mounted unit, and provides better central forward visibility.

Photos 1, 2 and 3 show the placement of the device and photos 4 through 8 show the wiring layout. Photos 3 and 4 show all the visible cable when in use.

attachment.php

pic1

attachment.php

pic2

attachment.php

pic3

attachment.php

pic4
The wiring starts at the 12v DC plug and drops underneath the dash area. (For those with “speech recognition” GPSs, note the mounting of the remote control unit on the steering wheel.)

attachment.php

pic5
The first mounting point is an existing screw underneath the dash. I used a plastic wiring clamp and modified it, (clipped it with a wire cutter,) to allow the wire to be held in position, but to be easily removable.

attachment.php

pic6
The wire continues to a clamp mounted to the other existing screw to the left. I imagine any cable slack could be looped around here.

attachment.php

pic7
Then the wire works its way up towards the dashboard.

attachment.php

pic8
This photo shows how the wire wends its way through the gap between the door and the dash cluster. The wiring is not affected by closing the door, and terminates at the GPS unit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom