Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How much have you spent on restoring your Vette, to date ??

I spent $20,100 on the car and TTL a year ago.

I've put about $500 in parts (plugs, wires, dual point dist, coil, new tach cable, balancer, timing chain/gears, oil pump, new gaskets, hoses and belts).

I'm getting ready to pt about $3300 in suspension, brakes, steering parts, interior parts, ignition shielding, mirrors, and seatbelts.

Eventually I want to rebuild or replace the motor.. probably another $5000 there.

After a transmission fire in November of 1997...

Approximately $65,000 on my watch.

My insurance company picked up well over $50,000 of the bill, otherwise my Vette would be dead.

I sure wouldn't want to add in a few motors, transmissions, paint jobs, seats, repairs from wrecks etc, the total would be ugly. My odo has turned over 280,000 miles but the odo didn't work for more than 10 years of the cars life when Dad used it as a commuter.

Now the "original" front suspension is getting ugly, it's almost time to throw some more cash at the car.

When ya start keeping track, it starts to get slightly less fun. :D

Very true.

Concerning cars as a hobby, a wise man once told me, "If you have to ask how much it costs then you can't afford it".

I have spent $48.73 so far.. whew !

I spent #3000.00 on the car and towed it home. Since then I've spent roughly $20000.00. I figure I've got another $5000.00 or so to go. Best thing is my wife says go for it! Only problen so far is I haven't even gotten to start it, let alone drive it yet. Hopefully sometime early next year!

I spent roughly $23K plus $5K or so to go. Only problen so far is I haven't even gotten to start it, let alone drive it yet.
OUCH!!! :W

Started with a 1980 with no motor or trans. $3500. Bought a 1981 that had been rear-ended. $3100. Used that engine and drive train plus the glass T-Tops and a few other parts. That was the summer of 2002. Since then, with the help of my neighbor, have replaced the engine with a Summit crate engine, and rebuilt the entire front & rear suspension, steering, brakes A/C, carpeting, heater core, windows assembys, exhust system, plus other things I have probably forgotten. Just got back from the Mid America Funfest. 4793 mile round trip without any problems. Spent $8500 since the summer of 2002.

1976 L-48 I purchased for 6500. I have done almost all the work myself and while I have all the receipts I have tried not to count. Off the top of my head at least another 5 grand for exhaust, suspension and interior.

B

Thanks, you guys make me feel a lot better. I have about $40,000 total into mine. I think it is now in better shape than out of the factory.

Guess I'm Lucky

Man you guys paid alot for your cars up front! Everything I could find for the past 5 years that was in any shape in my area was 12k starting. I was LUCKY enough to find one in durn good shape for 6800 this spring and I jumped on it. I have spent about 2000 on it so far but nothing that it NEEDED, fixing small things for now like sensors and relays, adding floor mats and ttop bags, new Eagle GT and Shocks, The big one was replacing all the weather stripping. I plan do do the seats and carpet next spring, and paint it the year after that, then look into doing the engine and transmission. They run durn good now but has alot of leaks BUT NO SMOKE : )

I think by the time I get done with it, I will have about 12 - 15k in it fully restored and I dont think thats bad at all, I love doing it myself, you get to know your car like you would a child. You get to be part of this cool community here and elsewhere. People check you out all the time and other vettes wave at you when you pass on the road. I love the car more every day, and thanks to everybody here that has offered up tech help, I think Im going to write a book!!!! : )

Guess we are not counting: fuel, tuneups and maintenance, insurance, care products, DMV, storage, clothing and accessorizing, bribes to wifey (her vehicle and costs), and trips to the mechanic? Just getting my 90 vette to pass Califorina smog cost me $2000 this year. That's a long story that is chronicled here in a different thread.

Both of my vettes are nice but are drivers, not show cars. No damage, minimal stress marks and road rash-chips. On average I think I spend 2-5k per year to be a Vette guy, minus most of the things I mentioned above. I've had my 74 coupe for over 34 years and the 90 for 17. So if we take 34 times 3k, we get 102k on a very conservative guesstimate.

Now that sounds like a whole lot, but consider most cars we buy or lease on payments. Take $400/month over the same period: $400/mo times 12 months/yr times 34 years = $163,200. Don't know if it's reasonable to assume people would always be on a payment or not, but folks I know rarely hold on cars more than 3-5 years out here in status sensitive always driving Southern California. Im sure mileage varies across the USA, yet owning a non-show vette comes out close to just owning or leasing commuter vehicles that cannot possibly give the pride of ownership we have in our American sports cars.

In closing, if we added up what it costs for being married or to have children or most other hobbies; who would do them? I just try to live a balanced life and not place my hobbies above what is truly important and eternal. Nuff said.

I,m in the middle of a body on restoration and i've spent around 6000. in parts. Needs paint, seats and carpet
DSCF3058.jpg,DSCF3067.jpg

I don't even want to know......Paid $10,500 for the car

So far, 5 months in the shop for everything new underneath, new 375 HP 350, rebuilt trans...then it will be off to paint and then the new interior.......I really don't want to know what I am spending.

I am hoping to keep it under $25,000.

Karsten

About 25.000 euros but I stopped counting some years ago. I think with a different engine and upgrade trans it will be an extra 8000.

Greetings Peter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

I must be nuts

Back in 2006 I said I was up to $40,000. Two years ago I put Vintage Air in my 76. Right now it is with John Boos of Boos Performance. He is putting in an LS6 engine, 4L60E transmission, Radiator and cooling fan to match. Plus wirring brackets mounts, gauges, conversions, fuel pump and lord knows how much else. I will have another 20 to 25 thousand into it. Can't wait to get it back.

Back in 2006 I said I was up to $40,000. Two years ago I put Vintage Air in my 76. Right now it is with John Boos of Boos Performance. He is putting in an LS6 engine, 4L60E transmission, Radiator and cooling fan to match. Plus wirring brackets mounts, gauges, conversions, fuel pump and lord knows how much else. I will have another 20 to 25 thousand into it. Can't wait to get it back.
Man, you sure do love that '76! :L

:upthumbs

Just C3's well 7 C3's I don't even need to know ! than add 8 C4's... Well its all a labor of love what other hobby would let you own so may Corvettes :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom