Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How much HP will I gain?

This coming from the same guys that told you your QJet was a 500 cfm??? (Sorry... :chuckle)

ahahahahah lol. no not from the same guy. lol that was funny.

well there might be no problems with my points system. The thing is I do alot of milleage every summer. maybe it's normal. last year I've put new points on April 1st. and in september 31st the points gave away. I was stuck on the side of the road. They didn't want to open anymore. we were able to set the points again and I was able to finish the drive and get back home. So if I need to set the points every now and then, well I prefer going to electronic.

IMG_0617.JPG

"...well there might be no problems with my points system. ..."

Hey Tepot,

I have a Pertronix Ignitor LS electronic ignition ( # 1181LS) that you can have (just cover shipping, please). I removed it from a distributor that I received as a gift last year. I took that distributor completely apart, but have not yet reassmbled it!

This should fit all 1967-1974 Chevy eight cylinder engines with single points. It allows conversion to an electronic ignition while keeping the stock look (no "black box" or or the big distributor, etc.)... here's the description at Summit: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PNX-1181LS&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I don't have the cobalt magnets, but if you want this module, it's yours. I'm sure you could get the magnets directly from Pertronix.

Just send me a PM if interested...

Ralph

I've put new points on April 1st. and in september 31st the points gave away. I was stuck on the side of the road. They didn't want to open anymore.

You have to lubricate the cam with a little bit of grease. If it's dry, you'll wear the point rubbing block down in about ummm 6 months time.

I believe that the bottom butterflies are opened and closed purely by mechnical linkage. The upper plate is controlled by vacuum.

I agree!
Don't take Bubba's word for things, do research.

Make sure the choke is fully open before staring down the secondary bbls., as there is a lock out that does not allow the secondaries to open until the choke is off. You will find, if everything is correct, that the bottom (secondary throttle plates) will be open when the throttle is completely depressed. The TOP AIR VALVE will only open upon demand, due to vacuum.

A well tuned/rebuilt Q-Jet will be as smooth as FI.

ahahahahah lol. no not from the same guy. lol that was funny.

last year I've put new points on April 1st. and in september 31st the points gave away.
You have a Sept. 31st in Canada? Maybe the time travel burned up your points!! Just kidding. . . From the looks of the pic, you're in a good club if that many people stopped to help you. Take care.

Craig

Hey Tepot,

I have a Pertronix Ignitor LS electronic ignition ( # 1181LS) that you can have (just cover shipping, please). I removed it from a distributor that I received as a gift last year. I took that distributor completely apart, but have not yet reassmbled it!

This should fit all 1967-1974 Chevy eight cylinder engines with single points. It allows conversion to an electronic ignition while keeping the stock look (no "black box" or or the big distributor, etc.)... here's the description at Summit: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PNX-1181LS&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I don't have the cobalt magnets, but if you want this module, it's yours. I'm sure you could get the magnets directly from Pertronix.

Just send me a PM if interested...

Ralph

thanks for the offer but I've already bought the conversion kit from corvette america a mount ago. too bad. I would've take it for sure.

Hi, just an update for you guy's.

I've finally decided to go with an edelbrock 600 cfm but will keep my rochester quadra jet in case I want to go back. I'm pretty sure the Edelbrock 600 cfm won't have any problem feeding my 350 ci. engine. I've also aquired a new edelbrock intake manifold performer EPS /Endurashine finish. that should look very nice under the hood.

so next week everything goes in. The comp cam XE268H cam shaft, intake, carb, swaping points system to electronic and then sandblast and paint my headers. I plan do buy Ceramic headers later on.

I'll give you an update when the installation of all those is complete. I also plan to take the car to a local Dyno to see what can of improvement I gain. I can of hope to reach at least 250 HP and over 300 torque

Oh and by the way. I've already checked for the cam and it does sound very nice and won't affect any vaccum accessories. supposed to make a good difference in performance too I guess. can't wait

Thanks
Daniel

I'll give you an update when the installation of all those is complete. I also plan to take the car to a local Dyno to see what can of improvement I gain. I can of hope to reach at least 250 HP and over 300 torque
You might get that at the crank, but not likely at the rear wheels. :)

You might get that at the crank, but not likely at the rear wheels. :)

ahah yes I was assuming at the crank. there's no way i'll get that to the weels without changing the heads.

By the way. Is it possible to just change the heads an leave the existing pistons I have. just so it is only bold on and go. will I gain alot of HP or will I have to change pistons too?

I'd kind of be interessted in a Edelbrock performer cylinder heads. that would be interesting.

Which Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold can be installed where you don't have to modify the hood for clearance and the OEM QJet carb bolts right on?

Which Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold can be installed where you don't have to modify the hood for clearance and the OEM QJet carb bolts right on?

I have the performer intake right now with the stock quadra jet carburator on it with a 3" air cleaner and I got no problem whatsoever with hood clearance but it's a little close.

Right now I've got the Performer EPS. it's about a quarter inch higher than the performer but when you install an edelbrock carburator. the gasket is not as tick as the gasket needed for the quadra jet. So it should fit. Worst case senario. just go with a 2 and a half inch filter instead of a 3". Note that the performer RPM won't clear the hood. it's more high rise.

I was looking at the videos on the edelbrock web site about carburator installation and they mentionned an adapter plate to use a quadrajet carb on an edelbrock square bore intake. for some reason mine doesn't have this. I wonder why. They must of have made their own custom gasket when they installed the carb. but you should look into it if you ever go to an edelbrock intake and keep your carb. and yes that adapter plate will raise your carb about 1".

Jeff,

I have the Performer manifold, and it clears perfectly with a 2" air cleaner. Your '79 has a hood that allows a bit more clearance... "Luckeeey" (in Napolean Dynamite's voice :D ) - so you should be fine.

I used to have the Performer RPM manifold - that also fit with the 2" air cleaner.

Im using a Performer intake with a Holley carb and a 3 inch air filter with no problems with my stock 70 small block hood.The trick was to buy the original LT-1 air cleaner that has a very dropped base.It gave me another 1/2 inch hood clearance over the cheap generic 14 in drop base air cleaner.

Ralph, I seem to only find the performer intake manifold at Ecklers. Might anyone have a quick link to an Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold and gasket set for a stock 79? Waht does everyone think about the one piece pro form gasket for oil pan and intake?

Ralph, I seem to only find the performer intake manifold at Ecklers. Might anyone have a quick link to an Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold and gasket set for a stock 79? Waht does everyone think about the one piece pro form gasket for oil pan and intake?

Jeff,

I'm a loyal Summit Racing customer --- they have a flat handling rate and don't charge for shipping. So the more you buy, the better the "deal" --- not always a good thing!:D Plus, they have lightning fast shipping and excellent customer service.

Anyway, here's a link to the Performer manifold:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-2101&autoview=sku
Also, click on the "Suggested Parts" tab for info on gaskets, bolts, etc... I used the FelPro "Printoseal" gasket (both times!).

I used the blue Fel-Pro oil pan gasket. It was recommended on a CAC post, plus my machine shop also recommended it... it worked perfectly. Here's that link (I believe this is the one for your year):
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FPP-1880&autoview=sku

Hope helpful...

Ralph
:w

Ralph this is perfect. When using this type of gasket NO RTV is needed? Thanks...Jeff.

Ralph this is perfect. When using this type of gasket NO RTV is needed? Thanks...Jeff.

I'm not certain if RTV is not needed, but I still used it... so far, so good.

By the way. Is it possible to just change the heads an leave the existing pistons I have. just so it is only bold on and go. will I gain alot of HP or will I have to change pistons too?

I'd kind of be interessted in a Edelbrock performer cylinder heads. that would be interesting.
'ASSUMING' you currently have 76cc chambered heads, and are running 8.2-8.5:1 compression ratio, a swap to 64cc heads will increase the squeeze to approx 9.5:1, which'll still run on 'good' pump-gas (SUNOCO-94, AMOCO-93), possibly be-worth 20 HP, based-on compression alone, would work-well with your cam, and take some weight off the nose of the car:
and, yes, the pistons will remain IN the block, while the heads would be bolted ONTO the block.
:beer

Did you use it on just the front and rear corners or all over on both sides?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom