Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How To Defeat the 1 to 4 Skip Shift- a guide for the mechanically challenged

Do you really have to disconnect battery?

Hi,

I got my CAGS last night and will install in the next few days.

I'm wondering why the battery negative cable needs to be disconnected. Of course its always "safer", but I can't believe there is any current in the unit being worked on with the ignition key off. Am I missing something? I just don't want to go through an extra step if it isn't really needed.

Thanks!

ps: New vette owner / new to the forum - I can't believe how useful this forum is! I'd be lost without it.

ilovit.jpg

JCE-Vette,

First, welcome to the CAC and congrats on your new vette.

Second, I'm not sure about disconnecting the battery. I did it because the instructions said to. You know how females are, they always have to read and follow the instructions :L

Tammy

Thanks Tammy!

Well, I installed the CAGS today.

I didn't remove the battery cable, no problems appear to happen if this isn't done - you decide if you want to save a step.

Two items for others who do this...

1) The instructions and base note of this thread clearly says the skip-shift solenoid is on the DRIVER side rear. I did know this but when I got under the car, I saw two different connectors that "looked" like the right ones on the passenger side and just when at them. Fortunately the CAGS will NOT fit on either of these (fortunately for me).

2) The instructions that come with the unit don't mention a key point that the base note clearly states - that is "take the CAGS plug seal kit from Ecklers and disconnect the white male connector." The Ecklers connector looks like there are several things that could come off or be seperated, but I didn't see in the directions that come it with that you are supposed to "disconnect" it. I came in the house and re-read the base thread and it became crystal clear.

I knew MsSchroder (Tammy) did an exceptional job in describing the process, but now I know it first hand - Thanks!

JCE-Vette,

Thank you for the warm words. I'm glad it worked for you :)

It sounds like they haven't improved their instructions a lot from when I did it :L

Tammy

cags bypass surgery

Thanks so much. It worked for my and my LT-4 '96
I rolled the front end up though.
That tie wrap was too tiny. I used it anyway.
The instructions were not clear. I had to come back and re-read your input.

James,
I'm glad it helped.
Funny you mention CAGS bypass surgery. I work for a medical software company, and there's a procedure called a Coronary Artery Bypass Graft. CABG for short... seems like there is some connection here :L

MsSchroder said:
James,
I'm glad it helped.
Funny you mention CAGS bypass surgery. I work for a medical software company, and there's a procedure called a Coronary Artery Bypass Graft. CABG for short... seems like there is some connection here :L

I am post in here for the reason that some day I might need it on my 2007 Z06 :L

Btw way what about the Exhaust bypass switch for the 2006 Z06, any one have news on that? :W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom