Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

hurst shifter (pooie)

billyz06-2003

Corvette
2009 callaway crystal red coupe, 1995 pace car
i spent about 250.00 for the shifter for my 2003z06, about and hour are so installing. to say the least i'm not happy. it's notchy, the bias (left to right) is really stiff. put lightes springs in and adjusted the hex openings to left. hard to find 5th and 6th gears. will this dam thing losen up in time are is this it, is there some tricks that will help. Billy

Shifter

Hi, When I bought my 99 the previous owner gave me a box of after market items, among them was a Kirban Kwik shifter/ CAGS eliminator, I installed both, what a difference. All the gears are close/harder to find , takes some getting use to, but it is an improvment over stock...........

I like my stock shifter, FWIW, maybe go back to stock?

scoob, was wandering if you got the c-6 shifter at a dealer or where, what was the cost and installtion problems if any. Buy the way welcome to the cac, you will enjoy:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)Billy

I got the shifter from Gene Culley. I'm not sure of the rules here yet so I don't know if I can mention his website but the part number is 06z06shifter and it is $198.99 for the shifter, knob, and bolt.

The install was very easy and very straight forward; you just want to be careful removing the trim pieces so you don't break the little tabs.

new shifter

was wondering if you can get web to gene culley sure would like to get one, any thing you can do will be appricated. :):):):):):):):):):):):):)Billy

Almost like the stock but lower and less notchy. I also replaced the trans detent bolt which helped a bunch called the Antivenom mod. You can also use washers on the stock detent as well. Don

I just replaced the Hurst on my 03 Z with the 08 Z06 shifter. I just got plain tired of having to manhandle it into reverse, and sometimes 5th and 6th. I loved using it to speed shift though. The main reason I got it was because every time I went to slam the stock shifter into 3rd it would catch, which required me to repush the clutch and shift slowly into 3rd. I never had that problem with the Hurst, it just required alot of effort to shift. I love the Z06 shifter alot smoother but 5th and 6th are way over there. I have speed shifted it 2 or 3 times and no problems.

Love my shorted Hurst with C6 ZO6 knob, and wouldn't change it! You guys maybe should do some bench curls. :D
newcamera016dn9.jpg

hello jetz, finally got to answer your advice about the hurst shifter. I am not going to start pumping iron on the short side of 70. thats for you younger pups.I talked to the gug who helped develop that shifter and he even said is was to agressive, the biases where stiff, even with lightess spring set, and finding5th and 6th (which is really hard to find) adds up to a 250.00 piece of s--t. :mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:madBilly

hi mike, welcome to the cac, your car looks outstanding. I know a person in the club thats got a ZR-1. thats rob our boss and leader of this web site. you might try him.:upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbsBilly

Well I guess then you better get the OEM C6 ZO6 shifter, throws are long, and will get more sloppy with use just like a OEM C5 shifter. :D

Frank :beer

hello jetz, finally got to answer your advice about the hurst shifter. I am not going to start pumping iron on the short side of 70. thats for you younger pups.I talked to the gug who helped develop that shifter and he even said is was to agressive, the biases where stiff, even with lightess spring set, and finding5th and 6th (which is really hard to find) adds up to a 250.00 piece of s--t. :mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:madBilly

hi frank, think i may go with the 2007-2008 oem shifter. it's got a shorter shift pattern and no vibration and easy on the arm for old guys like me. good luck with your vette.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)Billy

I have a 2004 LS1 with the 6-spd and I put in a 2007 (C6) stock Z06 shifter this summer, after much shopping and investigating. It's a shorter throw, drops right in and works flawlessly. Got the idea from "Rain" on this forum. I also put synthetic ATF (Amsoil) in the tranny which really makes a difference also, especially shifting into reverse. If you want part numbers and prices I can give you that info. You will also want to get a new leather boot for the shorter shifter. Total parts were around $260.

I'm new here. 02 Z06 with hurst shifter. I also have the same problem with it being very stiff. I would love to have the part numbers for the c6 shifter. Thanks and keep up the great forum

I for one have the Hurst shifter in my Z16 and love it!!! Was it stiff at first? Definately... Have I missed a shift since the install? Definately NOT!! Will it get smoother with time? Definately!
I would never change back, or accept anything less!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom