Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Pulled the Trigger! 42 Years in the making!

Texasred03

Corvette
2003 Torch Red
I am sure it has been said a million times, but after 21 years in the military, and raising 2 wonderful children, I was able to start 'Vette shopping. 2 Onths later, and I must have looked at over 200 'Vettes, in the process, and was about to just give up. I was not being too picky, and I was looking at C3 and C4 Vettes. It seemed like they were either priced off the chart with more miles than a back country mail truck, or just plain worn out at a "low" price. CAR FAX loves me, I bet I have 80 cars in my office here. I had just got done driving a 1982 with 78k on the clock, and this was a mess! from end shimmied, rattled like no other I had ever seen. It was a mess. I relented to the fact that this would be an "OK" project and offered 8k. They wanted 14K :mad I will not repeat what I told them (No sense in being banned on the 1st post, but as I was leaving, I look across the expressway and see this Red 'Vette. My wife says, "let's go look" I told her "No way, these $%^ clowns in this town are thieves, I am not looking that. It looks like a C5 or C6, they are going to want 25-35 K minimal!" She replies "what will it hurt?" So off we go, and I am already hotter than fish grease, and sure enough it is a 2003, torch red, leather, and it looks really good.... The salesman comes down, I get the mileage (33K), and sure enough he wants 24K. Some how my wife is now in the passenger seat grinning from ear to ear, I am not happy I am still mad from across the street, and I pull out my phone, open the glove box, and open my database of RPO's (it has everything EXCEPT) the active suspension, and is an automatic). I start looking at my other spread sheets on the phone, and get the CAR FAX, No issues at all, and 33700 is the correct mileage. I almost start to think this might have a chance. I pull the wholesale price up, and it is 16K or so. I then added 1700 to the bill, they said WAY too low, so after about 3 minutes of looking at the car, and REFUSING to drive it, the next took, and it was less then 20K. :drool: I then took it for a drive, and the paperwork was totally done, They allowed me to crunch every number on my phone to make sure, and we closed the deal! :happyanim: Not one smile from me yet. I get on the car, and as I drive away. I stop, get out, thank them for what I think is an awesome deal! This is a dream come true, I Love this car, I just stare at it in the driveway, It is awesome to drive, I never thought in my wildest dreams I would be in a C5! Oh I drove my new 'Vette back across the way, pulled into the dealership that just made me mad, and parked it next to the Blue 82. I walk in, and the salesman asked,"Change you mind huh?" I said YEP! decided to go across the street and buy that ONE next to your POS! :flipa:woot: then went a got a cup, filled it with coke and said,"Man getting a great deal sure does make me thirsty!" :chuckle Yeah, that is totally childish of a 52 year old man, but ...... I GOT MY 'VETTE!!!!!:dancenaughty

Welcome

Welcome. your experience sure is crazy. I think some of these sales people think they can ask whatever they want just because it's a Corvette. I have been fortunate that I have good luck with my dealings in the Corvettes I have purchased. I know you will be very happy with your ca.r

Thanks all. I think I got a great deal. This may be one of the very few times, I put the key in the ignition and drove away with thinking I could have done better somewhere else. To add to this. The driver side window motor was acting up, when I got it, and they ordered a new motor, no questions asked. They made it very easy and simple, the stunner is it is from a dealer, not a private seller. The car is just simply amazing! I am going to Georgetown Texas Airport tomorrow to do a photo shoot, and will be shooting the 'vette with some vintage aircraft!

Congrats and welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome story! As you've already discovered, the C5 is a fantastic model and a very good choice for your first Corvette. Congratulations, and we look forward to some pictures.

Elaine

Congrats on your NEW (to you!) Vette!

Thanks for the kind words regarding the dealership. Nice to hear they are taking care of your window.

You will enjoy that Vette and the CAC! Wonderful place with wonderful people!

:w

Atta Boy....! You're going to love that C5. Can't wait to see some pics when you get around to it......welcome to Corvette world.....

I Pulled the Trigger! 42 Years in the making!

Welcome
and congratulations on entering the world of Corvettes :cool!:

Bill :w

Well, welcome aboard! I think you must have done pretty well. You'll love the C5 they are an awesome car. :w

Welcome to CAC!!!!!
great story!!!!!
enjoy the new toy!!!!!:thumb

:welcomeand congrats on your first Corvette!

We're glad you've joined us here at the :CAC and I think the more you look around the more you'll like this place and our community. We've got some great folks here! :_rock

We can all relate to that "staring at her in the driveway" behavior. . . been there done that. :L

Check out this forum - C5 General Discussion - for general topics related to the C5.

And this one - http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-general-discussion/100848-new-world-c5-corvette.html - which is designed with the 'new' C5 owner specifically in mind.

We'll look forward to those pix.:thumb
Oh yeah - don't forget to wave at other Corvettes now. Whether the owners wave back or not, we have to keep the tradition going.
:wJane Ann

Thanks all!

Here are some pics, I also tone mapped a few shots to play some. I have also created a workbook on Excel, that has a cover sheet with the original ad, and a log book for oil changes and repairs, then all off the RPO codes, and fault codes, Sales paperwork, the CAR FAX, and several pages of known issues. I will be adding the Build sheet and Dealer sticker soon!

680424_4344279882571_1688955162_o.jpg

277377_4344281002599_363869618_o.jpg

665940_4344284202679_1179221970_o.jpg

56829_4344285522712_1616351434_o.jpg

Welcome to the Forum Texasred03. :w She looks great. Enjoy your Corvette.

Welcome from another 2003 Torch Red Coupe owner

Welcome to the forum, and I like your taste in Corvettes. :)

Here's a picture of mine.

Ghost12000x1794.jpg

WOW...the second shot just went up my spine!; how georgus she is :thumb Your 'shopping skills are pretty good as well; loved the treatment of the structure ;)

RBS5 I like that look, and those wheels. I will keep that one quite from my wife! Thanks djsroknrol, I have a program call color [FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]strokes, and it allow me to convert the pic to B/W and then color in only what I want, and then blur the background. I use a wacom Tablet and pen to get somewhat accurate. I am the photographer for car show company here in Texas, and is pretty neat to finally have my Vette, and be able to shoot around with it now too. [/FONT]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom