Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

If you've got the gift as a photographer...

My list of things I need to improve is really long. This thread is helping me organize my ideas and techniques that I need to remember when shooting.

Here is one of my biggest faults: I am a true wizard at composing the main subject with trees or other distracting objects coming out.... if I try really hard, I can get the technical parts mostly right, but a true "eye" is something that I came close to, but just don't have it mastered. I also have a bad tendency to put the subject in the smack dead center of the photo, a habit that I have found nearly impossible to break. I've always gravitated toward symmetry, even though that doesn't always make the best shot.

Someone mentioned that with photographing our vettes, the idea is to zoom in on the subject and get the background out of the way. In most cases, I agree 100%, but here is an example where I think the composition is really nice- and where I think the emphasis on the background actually helps draw the eye to the vette in the bottom right. I like this shot- by our own blackvette2003.

2003_Black_Coupe_Colorado_Resize.jpg

you did a nice job getting the car out of the center.....looks good to me....of course anything that has a Corvette looks good to me and then to top it off, I really like the west and that back drop is awesome...where was that?

Herb

you did a nice job getting the car out of the center.....looks good to me....of course anything that has a Corvette looks good to me and then to top it off, I really like the west and that back drop is awesome...where was that?

Herb

I didn't take it! :L The photo was posted by member blackvette2003 in the Site Help and feedback section. I thought it demonstrated some ideas that I could take some pointers from :upthumbs

A few years ago, in the excitement of pushing the car off the trailer and into the garage, after coming home from the paint-shop, I stupidly left the Grand Prix in the way of the photo.

42lskdg.jpg

Can one of you photo-shoppers go back in time and remove the Grand Prix from the driveway for me? :gap

A few years ago, in the excitement of pushing the car off the trailer and into the garage, after coming home from the paint-shop, I stupidly left the Grand Prix in the way of the photo.

42lskdg.jpg

Can one of you photo-shoppers go back in time and remove the Grand Prix from the driveway for me? :gap
here is my shot at it....bigger file with more pixels would help....but here ya go....

1-vi.jpg

My list of things I need to improve is really long. This thread is helping me organize my ideas and techniques that I need to remember when shooting.

Here is one of my biggest faults: I am a true wizard at composing the main subject with trees or other distracting objects coming out.... if I try really hard, I can get the technical parts mostly right, but a true "eye" is something that I came close to, but just don't have it mastered. I also have a bad tendency to put the subject in the smack dead center of the photo, a habit that I have found nearly impossible to break. I've always gravitated toward symmetry, even though that doesn't always make the best shot.

Someone mentioned that with photographing our vettes, the idea is to zoom in on the subject and get the background out of the way. In most cases, I agree 100%, but here is an example where I think the composition is really nice- and where I think the emphasis on the background actually helps draw the eye to the vette in the bottom right. I like this shot- by our own blackvette2003.

2003_Black_Coupe_Colorado_Resize.jpg

Composed nicely. Generally when the background becomes part of the subject matter you do want it in focus and should try to compose the main subject (in this case the Corvette) in the lower right or left portion of the veiwfinder.

A rule of thumb that I use is to place an imaginary "tic-tac-toe" grid in my veiwfinder. Where the horizontal lines intersect the vertical lines (4 intersections) is where I try to place my main subject, or sometimes slightly more into the corner imaginary box nearest to the intersection. I find that many images look better if the main subject is in the lower left portion of the picture since we read left to right, your eyes naturally draw their attention to the right to observe the secondary image...that being the background, or location.

Sometimes images work well right to left also, it just depends on the subject.
But for instance with the image above the tendency is to notice the location first then, "oh there's a Corvette there too"...making the Corvette the secondary subject. Which is ok, if that was the intention of the photogrpher. Basically, decide what the main subject is and compose so there is no questions to "what exactly is the main subject". Avoid competing subject matter. But it's a nice apealing shot anyway... It still works.

I was cleaning my desk at home and found "ten Tips For Great Automotive Photography" from Hagerty Insurance (my classic car insurance company). Here is what they say....

1. Clean the car (no kidding!!!)
2. Keep it on the road (cars drive on roads, take the car off a road and you take it out of context)
3. Police your location (watch out for weeds, paper cups or that stray white Grand Prix)
4. Lenses (buy the best lens you can afford)
5. Tripods and cable releases (keep camera still when taking photos to get the best crisp shot)
6. Put the sun behind you (shooting into the sun is very difficult and often results in a dark image)
7. Shoot off center (remember the rule of 1/3rds - the eye is typically drawn to a point or position 1/3 of the way up or 1/3 of the way across the photo)
8. Don't have things growing out of the car (do your best to minimize the incursion into the cars shape or fade the object into the background as much as possilbe)
9. Vary your height when shooting (don't be afraid to get dirty and lay on the groun or think about a step ladder to get up high)
10. Film Processing (ok, this is dated but if you don't have digital, you get what you pay for cheap processing usually means chemicals that have been used once too often!)

There ya go, right from Haggerty Insurance!!! Actually some of the tips aren't too far off from Popular Hot Rodding when they recently ran a contest, many are similar.

just recently got my '56 on the road and took a few shots, this one kinda different ..

IMG_2462s.JPG

just recently got my '56 on the road and took a few shots, this one kinda different ..

IMG_2462s.JPG
just a couple of comments.....first...great shot....there are a couple of things that I would remove via photoshop....the person walking in the far left background at the tail of the car as well as those mail boxes or whatever they are and you have a pole growing out of your far right hand side of the hood....get rid of those and the shot does not have any extra stuff in it pulling your eyes away......

regards, Herb

Hi, you guys have some fantastic cars.:D
I had the pics below taken at a circuit for a magazine feature and the best thing I learned was to be creative with the angles from which the pics were taken: the first was interesting watching the photgrapher hanging (harnessed) off the back of a pickup at 50 mph to get low enough to take the picture whilst the centrifugal force from the track banking tried to pull him out of his vehicle entirely...
TPvetR3059-1.jpg

And a nice engine close-up:
TPvetR4089.jpg

Not to change the thread, but where has the Rowdy1 been? Not many post from him.

And after looking at the picture, it made me wonder, just how many miles does the Rowdy1 get to a set of tires? ;) :L

I was able to get out and take a few new pix of my Corvette today. I wanted to find an old building for background, preferably brick, with or without an ad on the side. As I was short on time, I didn't have time to search so I headed to a neighborhood in town I was familiar with.

This shot was taken next to a building where I worked summers while in college. The only issue was that the sun was in the wrong spot, forcing me to take my photos in the shade. I tried to lighten the picture some, and also tried to crop it placing my Vette in the lower section of the photo.

Suggestions?

:w Jane Ann

Top up...

HPIM1363_A_B.jpg

Top down...

HPIM1372_A_B.jpg

I like it.

I think the car looks better shot in the open shade where there is good color saturation in the red. Bright sunlight would have made the car too glary. Notice the reflections in the side panels of the car...it adds some interest. Good composition too. The only thing I would do different is try to lose the corner of the building. If possible move the car forward a bit. And for an added touch, shoot the same shot after a rain shower when the pavement is wet. It darkens the dull hardscape and adds reflection. You've got a ggod thing going with that location. Just try a few more ideas and angles until you've exhausted the location.

corvette06025.jpg
[/IMG] here is one of our favorites..............

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom