Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ignition shielding assembly

Ronald

Corvette
66 Coupe
Hi folks,

I finally broke down and bought a complete new ignition shielding kit (never had it before). There are a good quantity of little parts. I don't have any instructions and don't know where to start. Does anyone have a picture I can follow or instructions/advice on how I should put this together?

Thanks.

Ronald,

Sorry, but I forget if you have a SB or BB. The shielding is very different.

67HEAVEN said:
Ronald,

Sorry, but I forget if you have a SB or BB. The shielding is very different.

It's a SB

Check the AIM, another good source I have found for doing this is look at Catologs like LICS, Corvette Central, Corvette America, etc.

There usually are some pretty good blowups of the shielding in there.

Tom M

did you gert the brackets that the shielding attaches to as well? My SB only had the main dist cap shield when I got it, all others were absent as well as the brackets - getting those brackets on was the first big hurdle. I used a combination of the AIM, the LICS catalog, etc etc. need to have the AIM to understand how the brackets get attached.

Sting Ray said:
Check the AIM, another good source I have found for doing this is look at Catologs like LICS, Corvette Central, Corvette America, etc.

There usually are some pretty good blowups of the shielding in there.

Tom M

Thanks. I don't have an AIM, I do have the Corvette America catoloque with the blow-up but I still don't really get it. Sure would be nice to have a nieghbourgh with one!

ctjackster said:
did you gert the brackets that the shielding attaches to as well? My SB only had the main dist cap shield when I got it, all others were absent as well as the brackets - getting those brackets on was the first big hurdle. I used a combination of the AIM, the LICS catalog, etc etc. need to have the AIM to understand how the brackets get attached.

I got the full meal deal - (brackets, wing nuts etc. etc.) that's what is kind of overwhellming me... I don't know where to start;shrug .

Ronald said:
Thanks. I don't have an AIM, I do have the Corvette America catoloque with the blow-up but I still don't really get it. Sure would be nice to have a nieghbourgh with one!

Where abouts in Canada are you?

What year? I can take mine apart and take pics.

airfilter001.jpg

I've been down that road before.

carbproject08.jpg

It's a 66. Maybe you could just describe how you put it together. Is there a portion you pre-assemble? Thanks.

my car was also lacking the spark plug heat shields - how about yours?

here's the quick answer - each shiney shield needs a bracket to attach it to the block, the brackets themselves are best (initially) intalled near tight, so they can be twisted into perfect position which will only be known to you when you try to wing nut down the ign shielding pice - once the perfect bracket position is determined, take the shiney shield off and do the final tighten on the bolt that attached the bracket to the block. the brackets for the spark plug shields use exhaust mani bolts to attach, the brackets that hold the side shields (those that connect the rear spark plug shields to the big dist shield) attach to the block with impossible to see with your eyes where they go bolts that thread into the block. Also, if those side brackets are in missing in any way, you will also need the rubber spark plug wire seperator do-hickeys that slide into them once you have the plug wires lined up.

Changing spark plugs is usually good for a pint of blood because of all the sharp edges on the shields and their brackets.

Alright, Here we go... an afternoon project. Thanks for your help so far... I have a feeling I'll be back.

Houston do I have a problem???

Ok, here is hurdle #1! Looking at Paul's photo, I notice the coil is on the passenger side of the distributor, mine is on the driver's side. I am hoping it is because Paul's is a 67, otherwise :crazy

SB coils are always on the passenger side of the distributor, mounted in a clamp on the pass. side plug wire support; shielding won't fit otherwise. Passenger cars had them mounted to the driver's side and forward, in an angled bracket with two bolts to holes in the intake. Sounds like you need the pass. side plug wire support with the coil clamp and screw on it. What's the casting number on your intake (behind the carb)?

:beer

JohnZ said:
SB coils are always on the passenger side of the distributor, mounted in a clamp on the pass. side plug wire support; shielding won't fit otherwise. Passenger cars had them mounted to the driver's side and forward, in an angled bracket with two bolts to holes in the intake. Sounds like you need the pass. side plug wire support with the coil clamp and screw on it. What's the casting number on your intake (behind the carb)?

:beer
8919803 So... would this mean I have the wrong intake manifold?:ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom