Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I'm embarrassed to ask, but...

72 Bluz

I can't identify what type of mufflers are on my car. Haven't seen any name or brand visible. Where can I look to determine this?

Thanks.

Hey this is a really good question. I'm not sure I can help, but here goes..

If it is a GM replacement or NOS there should be a number stamped on the muffler, I think it is usually on either end of the thing. That would be the GM part #. My Flowmasters have "Flowmaster" raised lettering. There are so many different types of mufflers out there. There are the round ones.. "Cherry Bomb" , there are Thrush and the list goes on and on.

If you have a local Muffler shop, a quick trip to their shop and one of the "Old Timers" look at it might be the fastest, bestest way to figure it out.

If there is a # on either end of the Muffler a trip to the local Chevrolet Dealers Parts man might shed some light.

Good Luck and PLEASE let us know HOW you find out what you're running for Mufflers. I for one am curious.. ;)

Thanks, Bud

The Mrs. is going on a trail ride tonight, so I should have time to crawl around and get down and dirty. Xena likes that, you know. :D They look stock to me, but I'm sure they are not. Probably a Midas special. Sounds good now, wonder what Flowmaster 40's would sound like?

Check out Ravin mufflers! They are sold at midas, but they are performance mufflers. They have a 33 series which is supposedly better cfm than the flowmaster 40's. They do sound better than the 40's though, and that is a hard muffler to beat.

mufflers?

I think midas have little dimond shapes stamped into the casing and I know the mufflers i have have the word 'Turbo' stamped into the outer shell and they came from a replacement kit from Mid-Amer? Hope I helped if at all. :s

What I found

Found a raised "I" on each end. It was about an inch tall. Could have been a roman numeral 1. Felt around the muffler for any numbers or logo, that's all I could find.

Thanks.

That 'I' just means 'Inlet' and is the direction of the flow of the exhaust. It shows the machanic which way to mount the muffler.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom