Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

In Jail or Not in Jail? That is the Question

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
From Josh Oliver, TheGMSource.com:
----------------------------------------------

Earlier today it was reported that the gentleman who produced images of what is believed to be a prototype for the 2009 Corvette SS had been fired from his job, and subsequently arrested by local authorities.

We did a little research of our own and can confirm, with the utmost certainty that the gentleman in question was NOT arrested or placed in police custody.

TheGMSource has been able to confirm that a civil complaint was filed today by General Motors in Romulus, Michigan. We can also confirm that no criminal charges have been filed by the Romulus Police Department and that an investigation is still ongoing.

What is expected to happen next is a detective will be assigned to the case if it is deemed necessary. While we can not state specifics, we are told that the civil complaint is in regards to "a prototype being pictured by an employee."

So, to set the record straight. The gentleman in question was NOT arrested, nor placed in Police custody, and criminal charges are pending depending on the outcome of the ongoing investigation.

Stay with us as more news becomes available we will have it for you.

Josh E. Oliver
JOliver@TheGMSource.com

• Admin
From AutoBlog.net:

UPDATE: After speaking with a representative from General Motors personally, we can say unequivocally that the automaker claims not to have taken any action legal action against anyone in this matter. That's from the horse's mouth, people. Whether or not other companies, entities, or suppliers have done anything is not known, but GM appears to be staying out of it completely.

UPDATE 2:
Turns out we didn't know for a fact that the man in the middle of all this is an employee of EMO Trans. The shipping company also contacted us to inform us that the man in question is not an employee of theirs and they do not know him. Furthermore, EMO Trans also claims he is an employee of a company called Central State, which is a handling agency for the German airline Lufthansa.

• Admin
From TheGMSource.com

attachment.php

I sure like GM's first class security. Brain dead company in that matter if its all true.;LOL

He must have one heck of a nice camera phone to take those pictures...

-Mac

Shutterbug took 'Vette for joyride

A Romulus loading dock worker not only took spy photos of a top-secret Chevrolet Corvette -- he took the super high-performance sports car for a test drive, according to a police report.

The employee drove the prototype car, valued at $1 million, around a parking lot on Monday, and used a camera phone to take some 23 photos of the vehicle, the report states.

The report was obtained Friday by the gmsource.com automotive blog and posted to its Web site. Romulus police would not release the report to The Detroit News on Friday afternoon, saying it was part of an ongoing investigation.

The incident took place at the Central States Trucking Co.'s facility near Detroit Metropolitan Airport the day before the vehicle was shipped to Germany

Several photos showing the Corvette's exterior and engine began appearing Thursday on auto enthusiast Web sites. The police report specifically said the pictures were sent to fast-autos.net.

Pictures were removed from that site at Central States Trucking's request, but remained on other sites, such as www.jalopnik.com.

The car was identified as a prototype of the 2009 Corvette SS, a 600-plus horsepower supercar dubbed the "Blue Devil," after General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner's alma mater, Duke University.

The police report said the loading dock worker was fired and civil action may be pending. He had worked for Central States Trucking since June.

A source close to the situation, who asked not to be identified, said it is odd that such a highly sensitive vehicle was packed in such an unsecured fashion, to the point it could be driven, rather than completely crated.

Automakers have struggled in recent years to keep a lid on photos of cars in development as Web sites aimed at auto enthusiasts have proliferated.

GM spokesman Terry Rhadigan would not confirm that the photos that appeared online were of the Corvette prototype. He also said he didn't believe it was GM that called police about the illicit photos. He said GM is continuing to investigate how the photos were leaked.

"Clearly this is a security violation," he said. "But we're still in the midst of investigation. As far as any next step, we're not in position to talk about that."

A receptionist at Central State Trucking's Bensenville, Ill., headquarters said company officials would not discuss the situation.

Rhadigan said he didn't know how police came to value the car at $1 million and said not all concept cars are valued at that amount.

A production Corvette Z06 starts at $70,000.

The Internet has been abuzz in recent weeks with speculation about GM's rumored development of a 600-plus horsepower Corvette supercar.

Article Link

Has "The General" learned something about marketing and creating a buzz?

I think so. ;)

I think this is hitting the nail squarely on the head.

Talk about a marketing blitz.

If they didn't set this one up intentionally, they should have.

:cool

I think this is hitting the nail squarely on the head.

Talk about a marketing blitz.

If they didn't set this one up intentionally, they should have.

:cool

I think that GM wished it could create that kind of buzz with no expenditure of cash. If charges are brought, it will be by the freight forwarding company. GM hires them to do a job, and take care of the other business that may come with it. Nice pics though!!!!!

If GM didn't want it to be seen they wouldn't put so much obvious black plastic on it, even somebody from a native African tribe could see this is something special. Also, this isn't the only 1 million dollar car transported through the air and do you think if a old Ferrari is transport a airport co-worker can drive the car around a bit? No of course not! Its on a wooden transport frame for transport, locked no keys inside (even wrapped in plastic.) If GM wanted to keep this a secret they would have shipped it in a closed box. Now the "spy photos" will be all around the world (internet) and every car magazine and some big car programs on tv. How much more advertisement do you want for FREE? This is what awakes possible buyers around the world!

Groeten Peter.

It seems that "Barney Phyfe" was guarding the car.Get real, they knew what they were doing. If they didn't want it to be known, they would've altered the car/shipping container. FREE PUBLICITY-DUH.

If GM didn't want it to be seen they wouldn't put so much obvious black plastic on it, even somebody from a native African tribe could see this is something special. Also, this isn't the only 1 million dollar car transported through the air and do you think if a old Ferrari is transport a airport co-worker can drive the car around a bit? No of course not! Its on a wooden transport frame for transport, locked no keys inside (even wrapped in plastic.) If GM wanted to keep this a secret they would have shipped it in a closed box. Now the "spy photos" will be all around the world (internet) and every car magazine and some big car programs on tv. How much more advertisement do you want for FREE? This is what awakes possible buyers around the world!

Groeten Peter.

I agree completly.. Free publicity.. :eyerole

I agree also, but I wouldnt think criminal charges would be filed to me it seems more like a civil case than anything. It might be different there that here. I do have to say though I had non corvette owners calling me asking me if I saw them so it certainly is creating a buzz

Not a bit impressed with SS

In my opinion it's still a plain old Z-06. I was expecting a lot more to be honest with you. Besides the performance factor it's just OK.

GM should be talking with Callaway about putting on a new nose for sure,

I wouldn't spend that kind of money for a vette:W that still looks like a plain C6, for half the price minus the gearhead scoops that you can pick up in a JC Whitney catalog made in China!;LOL

GM, please get somebody into your design room that knows styling and not designers who worked on the Yugo's!:boogie
Alan:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom