Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

is 13k for a 1992 a good deal.

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hey everyone,

I'm a C3 guy myself, but i'm tired of watching my Odometer get bigger since I'm using mine as a daily driver and it has 118K miles on it. I want a daily driver, but the idea of a 4 cylinder hurts deep inside.

Then in found a 1992 with 30k miles selling for $13,000. Obviously, there is nothing special about this C4. Assuming that there is nothing wrong with the car, how good of a deal is this? or is it a deal that is too good to be true? I just don't know anything about the market value of a C4. Any help would be appreciated.

I was trying to sell my 88 because I picked up a 99, I was looking for 12,500, it has 57,000 mi. and needs little, I didn't get much play on it and decided to keep it, down the road it's money in the bank, so I think you did alright unless the car was trashed.

Let me clarify, i haven't bought the car yet. I am just considering the car.
I am just looking for something to drive so I can give reduce the miles going on my C3.

look at flea-bay and kelly blue book. Anything that's really nice is always worth more to the user. If it's a couple $$ more than the next money pit, it's worth it to you. After all it's a Vette.

As much as I hate to say it, I think you can probably do better, it's not terrible you can probably just do better. C4 prices have dropped steadily for the last 2 1/2 years (about since the time I bought mine :chuckle). It is low mileage, but there can be issues with that (so I understand). The LT1 is a great engine and there are several guys that have over 200K without much going wrong. 6 speeds bring a bit more than autos. Check out the weatherstripping, it can be costly to replace.

Hope this helps, just remember, this is my opinion. If you are satisfied with it at that price buy it and drive it like you stole it. :cool

I would say it's over priced.

At 30k miles, just about every engine seal is going to be failing, and soon. It's the #1 reason why driving a car is better for it than not.

as mentioned, weatherstripping could be shot, too.

I am not a fan of the 700R4. And with questionable seals, I would be even more leery.

If you wanted a weekender and looks nice at the autoshow, get it... but you want a driver, skip it.

If it was my money, I would go up a few $$ and get a C5. Or at least get one with a 6spd.

With 30K miles it might be worth $13K but without knowing more it is impossible to say for sure. You will have to do a close inspection and evaluation of the entire car to determine what it needs now or will need soon and search out the previous owner and maintenance history to see what can be learned about the car and what cannot. You should also be familiar with the market enough to know what else is available in this price range.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/buying.html

I would say it's over priced.

At 30k miles, just about every engine seal is going to be failing, and soon. It's the #1 reason why driving a car is better for it than not.

as mentioned, weatherstripping could be shot, too.

I am not a fan of the 700R4. And with questionable seals, I would be even more leery.

If you wanted a weekender and looks nice at the autoshow, get it... but you want a driver, skip it.

If it was my money, I would go up a few $$ and get a C5. Or at least get one with a 6spd.
I agree....sounds high for a C-4

Get the VIN# and get a Carfax report on this Vette. Truth be told, that's not a bad price for the mileage. If I were you, I'd inspect the car from stem to stern-inside and out. Don't forget to test all the switches. Is it leaking any fluids? How do the fluids look? How do the belts and hoses look? Does the AC/heater work? Radio/CD/Cassette work? Antenna functioning properly? Alarm work? Interior lights work? Check, check, test, test. Put it on the road and ride it hard on the interstate-what was that like? How's it idling at lights in the city? If you dig the car, get it. And depending on where you live--can you really use the '92 as a daily driver? Personally, I don't take my Vette out in the rain. Don't care what the literature says, it's just not a happy experience. Snow is definitely out. Good luck however you decide. :w

As others have said check out the car thoroughly. Ask for service records. These cars will give many years (and miles) of service but only if properly maintained. A high mileage well maintained car is better than a low mileage one that has only had the oil changed.

Get the VIN# and get a Carfax report on this Vette. Truth be told, that's not a bad price for the mileage. If I were you, I'd inspect the car from stem to stern-inside and out. Don't forget to test all the switches. Is it leaking any fluids? How do the fluids look? How do the belts and hoses look? Does the AC/heater work? Radio/CD/Cassette work? Antenna functioning properly? Alarm work? Interior lights work? Check, check, test, test. Put it on the road and ride it hard on the interstate-what was that like? How's it idling at lights in the city? If you dig the car, get it. And depending on where you live--can you really use the '92 as a daily driver? Personally, I don't take my Vette out in the rain. Don't care what the literature says, it's just not a happy experience. Snow is definitely out. Good luck however you decide. :w
Snow's not out, however, I'd hold out for a 95 or 96 for that kind of money!

Thanks everyone.

I think i'm going to pass. I think i'd be better off waiting until i find something for a little less money, even if it has higher mileage. I agree that a well maintained, high-mileage car is much better than a low-mileage, abused one.

If I'm looking for a C4, is there any year(s) i should concentrate on?

Roger's Corvette Center has a 92 coupe with 31K miles and they want $16,900 and they generally get close to what they ask for their cars. http://www.rogerscorvettecenter.com/generationlist.php?GenerationID=C4

Roger's cars are generally perfect in every way also.

So, I'm saying that this price may not be unreasonable but I'm also saying that you can find other cars for less money that might suit you needs.

If you want a DD why so concerned with the low mileage? As bogus said, I'd rather have a car driven then one thats been sitting. I only paid $4500 for mine, but I have very high miles, however quite a few under 100k can be had for under 10k. There is a 1993 red/white leather at a used lot near my house, automatic. 98k miles $9000. If it is truly a dd you are after, dont be too concerned with miles. And as a former F-body owner (Lt4 Trans am), yes there are guys with over 200k on those engines and still run fine.

I'm looking for lower mileage because it will be a DD. I don't want to buy one that already has 180k on it and then drive every day. That said, I'd be happy if it was under 100k. I just happen to see one with 30k, and wondered if the low mileage was worth the extra $$$.

Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the 700R4 transmission? (maybe this is not the right forum).

My 700 is fine in my vette even with 170k on it now. I know alot of guys really go through 4l60e's once power gets added to it. But if I had to choose stock for stock, I would go with the 4l60e. Has much crisper shifts imo.

Thanks everyone.

I think i'm going to pass. I think i'd be better off waiting until i find something for a little less money, even if it has higher mileage. I agree that a well maintained, high-mileage car is much better than a low-mileage, abused one.

If I'm looking for a C4, is there any year(s) i should concentrate on?

They (C4s) became more refined as time went by, the 95s have the J55 brakes stock and some other refinements, and the 96s have OBDII if you want a 6 speed car hold out for a 96 (ALL M6 96s HAVE LT4s)

However, don't pay too much for a 96 because 97-99 are going for decent prices right now and they have that lovely C5 rear and the LSX engines are world class performers.

JMHO Good luck in your search,
Mike

If you look at C4 models closely, you will see there are actually two - C4's and C4.5's. The 84 cross fire is a very different car than a 94 LT1 with a six speed, much improvements in engine, transmission. In fact, the LT1 is said to be the 'GEN II' small block, the last GEN I engine was in the early C4's.
I'd recommend the LT1/6 speed combo - from 94 on gets you a passenger air bag and R134 A/C. My 94 had 73K two years and sold for $12.8, and was in very good condition, (I wish it still was, daily driving takes its toll, some wonderful guy in parking lot took out a two inch chunk of paint on the front bumper and ran). It now has 98K, and although it is still very nice, I wouldn't expect a big return if I were to sell it with such high mileage. For 13K, I'd have wanted the paint and interior to be very, very good.

Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the 700R4 transmission? (maybe this is not the right forum).
Nothing. Keep the fluid clean, don't overheat it and it should give good service. I didn't kill my original 4L60E (basically the same trans) until it was well over 100K miles and I had increased HP & torque by about 50% over stock and was using a high stall converter.
I've seen plenty of later LT1 cars and even LT4s with not so many miles on them for no more and even a good bit less than that '92. Give preference to '95-'96 models in your search.

I just picked up a BEAUTIFUL '91 convertible yesterday for 6500. granted it needs a set of injectors, but i got them coming from TPIS for 425 with a full gasket set and NDA shipping.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom