Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is there anyone using dampers on thier cars?

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
I just got my copy of the NCRS Restorer. They had many great articles, one being on the use of balancing dampers instead of the harmonic balancer. Basically to eliminate any movement (vibration) being transferred from the crank shaft though the cam and rods in older motors.
Just cureous if anyone has used these products and do they think they're worth while??

I am sure someone smarter than me will post otherwise, but as far as I know, harmonic balancer = balancing dampner = crankshaft dampner. I think the article was just showing an neat aftermarket balancer.

I had to keep looking at the cover to make sure I was reading The Restorer and not Hot Rod. I guess I can see the value in this type of article but it isn't what I expect to see in a magazine dedicated to correct restorations. Balancer technology has progressed greatly since our old iron ring and elastomer units were made but then so has every other part of the engine. There is no doubt that these parts are better than our old stuff when building a non original driver or custom engine. My question is what's this have to do with restoring a Corvette?

Sorry for the rant. Maybe I'm just too much of a purist when it comes to our restoration society's restoration magazine

Tom

I'm with Dave on this one, :beer

because weather we like it or not, " times are a changing "

Stepinwolf

But restorations to the way they were when they left the factory are not and that is what the NCRS is about.

Tom

I have not received this mag yet but even though it is a purist society:W.It is just an article about better and newer technology;). doesn't mean you have to use it on your 100 point car:w. jmho steve

I just got my copy of the NCRS Restorer. They had many great articles, one being on the use of balancing dampers instead of the harmonic balancer. Basically to eliminate any movement (vibration) being transferred from the crank shaft though the cam and rods in older motors.
Just cureous if anyone has used these products and do they think they're worth while??

You already have one - EVERY engine does. Although many folks call them "harmonic balancers", they have absolutely nothing to do with engine balance (except on externally-balanced 400SB's and 454's). They are tuned to dampen crankshaft torsional vibrations, and are selected based on crankshaft material (cast vs. forged), expected operating rpm range, and a number of other factors. The one that came on your engine will work just fine (unless it has deteriorated or has been damaged).

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom