Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It is US against them, a call to arms!

Hey Nuke,
Good to hear from ya again. Good luck with your hunt for a mid year:_rock

These are the guys Speedcraft just down the road from my house that are putting out some fast imports. If you cruise the site, you will see the massive intercoolers on the civic that they are building.

It appears they are getting around 320 hsp out of the V tech with the turbo kit. Imagine that in a car under 3,000 lbs! No remember, these guys are putting Vtechs into civics and then the turbo. Now you are talking 320 hsp on a gutted out CRX pusing 2,400 lbs. That equates to F50 Ferrari 0-60 acceleration and sub 12 second quarter miles.

Check out the posted prices. $6,800 is a lot of money for some of these mods, but cheaper than installing twin turbos on a C4.

warren s said:
The L98 has a lot of torque, but struggles to breath at the top end. So is there a conventional way (besides replacing the motor) to solve this problem?

I have seen L98 cars run very strong with
1.6 rockers
long tube headers with low restriction mufflers
cleaned up heads(basic valve job, nothing serious)
polished plenum
aftermarket fuel regulator
modified air box / inlet

Low 13s

What if you substitute some of those with a camshaft and some large runners?

I am sure a cam change would help as an addition to the previous mods. As for the larger rummers, it a minor gain at best but would help.

I have actually seen those mods work at Receway Park, I do know there is a tremendous differance between what works and what people say works- Out of many L98s I have seen run fast and was able to talk to the owners, I dont recall any cam changes to hit the mid 13s.

Cool, thanks. I am interested in the cam that Summit sells for the TPI. Do you know how much, if any gain I would get and how much a mechanic would want to install it?

Jedi86

Tough question. In real life, on an engine with some other mods such as a free flowing exhaust and intake, the right cam can give you up to 30hp. In a stock engine and exhaust you would see less, and at a differnt part of the power curve. So to directly answer your question i would say between 20 and 30 hp.

The cam would be about a five hour job (my guess) and most shops charge abouit 60 per hour for non-electrical work so that would be 300 bucks.

If you are going to do a cam, I would also get a new tining chain and gears, and obvisouly a gasket kit.

warren s said:
Jedi86

Tough question. In real life, on an engine with some other mods such as a free flowing exhaust and intake, the right cam can give you up to 30hp. In a stock engine and exhaust you would see less, and at a differnt part of the power curve. So to directly answer your question i would say between 20 and 30 hp.

The cam would be about a five hour job (my guess) and most shops charge abouit 60 per hour for non-electrical work so that would be 300 bucks.

If you are going to do a cam, I would also get a new tining chain and gears, and obvisouly a gasket kit.

Thanks! Gears? Like in rear end gears?! I don't think I could afford that, me being 18 and all. But, with like 600 dollars more, I could skip the cam and go to a 383.

I have the stock 3.07s on there now. I have to get the car fixed right, before I put any mods in the engine. I was thinking about a cold air intake, larger runners, a new cam, and some roller rockers. Maybe a chip if I get enough money together. That should put me into the 13's right?

Vortex...

Does anyone in here have the Vortex Rammer Cold Air System?

I was just reading in the catalog and it claims up to a 22 HP increase.

Jedi

I would go with a good exhaust, cold air box and 1.6 rockers and maybe a new chip.

With the 1.6 rockers its like chaging to a new cam almost. Cold air in and hot exhaust out would be a great help. I am not a fan of the larger runner deal, they are very expensive and dont return much extra flow. You can actually take off the runners you have now and just polish them . Grind out any casting flash and rough edges. Just be very carefull, its a thin wall piece of aluminium. The money for new runners would be better spent on cylender head work, that would give you a good shot at the 13s.

What is your current best time? How many miles on your car?

Well, I haven't really taken my car(76,000) to the track but I bet I could hit low 14's in it. So you think that 260.00 could be spent on headwork and such? Around that price? Where would I take it for such a thing? Yeah, if I ever get some new valve gaskets, I will be sure to throw on some 1.6's. Are they hard to change at all? Sorry, I am kinda new to the modifications of a Corvette. Thanks alot!

Actually I dony know where in your area to go for machine work on those heads. But if you are already in the low 14s you should be able to touch the 13s with the other mods. The rockers are not a hard job, there are many books that detail how to change rocker arms on a small block chevy motor.

I would go to a local track to get a "base line" time before you do anything just so you know if what you did actually worked.

Hey Jedi86, go to a local car show or hot rod showroom and look for "Drive" magazine; the advertisements are mostly California bussiness' and many machine/speed shops are around Sacramento.
There is also a drag strip in Sacramento that you can run on Wed nights, I think. I've never been, but I remember that it was pretty cheap and I am planning to head up there this summer myself.
I'm no engine builder but; I'd suggest throttle body forward and exhaust first. See what you've got and then go from there as you learn more. Read alot and get out to the track.
Good luck, Chris N :s

I think you guys have the wrong idea here. I just read in C&D about the new cobra stang. Well it registers a sub 13 quarter and 4.5 0-60. They compared it to the 01 06's 4.3 13.1 times.

I said what a second! one car is a 01 and the other is 03. Who knows what the times will be for the 03, zo6? I bet they will be better in the quarter then 13.1.

My point is only apples to apples comparisons work. Horse power is all about the money. You give me enough money and I will give you 500, 600, 700 or better HP. We all know that.

BTW in the same C&D there was a write up on the triple 500 new Viper. 500 cubes, 500 HP, 500 torque. It boasting 4.0 and 12.4.

I ain't going home to hang myself. If it gets to me I'll just order a crate.

I'm not sure about anyone else but for me it's the overall package of the vette that puts that grin ear to ear on my face. It's the botherhood that you feel when you see another vette and you get that wave. I was at a light the other day when a stang cobra pulled up next to me the the guys looked over and said how great looking my vette was, that's respect, how many rice burns can say that. I test drove the WRX before I bought my vette, yes it is fast, but when you sit in it and then sit in a vette not even close. Besides my vette is a investment that will only go up in value if I take care of it, can the same be said for the others. I've already beat a WRX and many others that wanted to be King of the road and that's the differience,we are the King of the road already.

I was reading on another web site and it seems like the ricers really don't have much respect, or fear of the C5 either, unless it's a Z06. Those little things are getting faster and faster, not to mention other cars out there. I think that if this keeps going on, then Chevy will increase the engine displacement, finally!

Well do they have any respect for Porsche's, BMW's, Maserati's etc. Probably not since their ploy is by some cheap crap build it up and add Nitrous.

Rule 1 is you can only compare like years. My old SHO could beat a 66 Porsche but who cares. And this may be a bias for me only but I am not interested in nitrous HP. I want the HP to come from the basic engine. Anyone can add the bottle it requires no great skill or much $$.

You can dress up a pig but in the end it’s still a pig.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom