Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It is US against them, a call to arms!

That's my feeling too.

I would dearly love to get a C5 (still not in love with the C6 looks) Z06. But I can't seem to convince myself to get rid of my 1991. We put so much love and care on the car so we can't fathom the idea of trading her in or selling her. Then, we have this crazy idea of Hot Rodding her up. I love the sleeper, though one can hardly call a C4 Corvette a "sleeper"!

Many people in SoCal love to have the latest and greatest. So, there are tons of C6's running around, as well as Mustang GT's, Porsches, BMW's, MB's, etc. Many of them are very fast. Although most of them do NOT challenge our Vette, some do. They figure it's NOT the latest model but they're not sure how fast it can really go. So most of them don't challenge. Unfortunately, I've had a couple of occassions where I was not able to uphold Corvette pride. Afterall, it does only have 250 bhp! So what my wife and I are discussing is to make our 1991 a hot rodded street terror of south Orange County, CA. ;) We're thinking a 383 stroker, ported and polished heads, intake, but still have a quiet exhaust. So it sounds stock (and hopefully still pass emissions testing). Then, when needed, release 350 bhp and maybe 450 ft. lbs. of torque! It will really surprise a few folks

You could do something like I have on my exhaust
I have true duals 3 inch all the way from the headers to the rear bumper with electric cutouts.. With the power level that you are talking you would not need a 3 inch system it is custom and very expensive but you could install duals and the electric cutouts
I have the cutouts at the rear and when closed the exhaust is routed through mufflers but when open it is straight through both three inch pipes are into the 3x7" rectangular extensions under the bumper.
Looks and sounds stock :D
My car made 1038hp to the rear wheels on the dyno.
Sounds like it would be fun where you live.. I live in a small town but even if I go to the larger city's around here I can't get a run. The cars reputation spread really fast and even when I go to towns 50 miles away and they ask where I live and when I tell them they say I have heard about that car.
I guess I need to sell it and build something else.

Okay, I gotta bring this one back from the dead.:L

I think that every few years, this thread becomes more relevant because of the improvement that cars have made.

More specifically, I'm talking about the new 5.0 Mustang that has come out. In factory form, the 5.0 will dust a factory 5.0, LT1 and probably even the LT4.

Guy I know must be on drugs. He claimed that he "smoked" one of the 5.0's in his stock '96 LT1 automatic. I told him that the 5.0 either let him go or didn't know they were racing.

It's not a knock on the 'Vette, technology moves on but for people to say that the 'Stang is "just" a 'Stang and that they're plain, common, etc..., that's just plain arrogance.

My issue came up a couple years ago, either build my L98 or get something newer. I elected for something newer as it'd be cheaper in the long run and faster with more creature comforts.

Okay, I gotta bring this one back from the dead.:L

I think that every few years, this thread becomes more relevant because of the improvement that cars have made.

More specifically, I'm talking about the new 5.0 Mustang that has come out. In factory form, the 5.0 will dust a factory 5.0, LT1 and probably even the LT4.

Guy I know must be on drugs. He claimed that he "smoked" one of the 5.0's in his stock '96 LT1 automatic. I told him that the 5.0 either let him go or didn't know they were racing.

It's not a knock on the 'Vette, technology moves on but for people to say that the 'Stang is "just" a 'Stang and that they're plain, common, etc..., that's just plain arrogance.

My issue came up a couple years ago, either build my L98 or get something newer. I elected for something newer as it'd be cheaper in the long run and faster with more creature comforts.

Edmond- perhaps it is the 5 year leap.

Every 5 years or so- technology leaps forward. The LT1 is nearly 18 years old and the LS1 isn't too far behind.

What the LT1 and LS1 era cars really have going for them is weight- I haven't seen any LS1 or LT1 Vette or Fbody weigh in over 3500lbs.

The new Mustang, Challenger, and 5th gen Camaro are really heavy. All that weight slows them down considerably while the LT1/LS1 cars need only to benefit from better tuning and less invasive/expensive mods.

I have driven a new 5.0L Mustang with the 3.73 gears. IN stock form will run low 13's and high 12's with skilled driver. Hot Rod got one into the low 12's with slicks. 5.0L Mustang is FASTER than any stock LT1/LT4 period. The NEW Mustang is a legit performance car, unlike the older ones this is the real McCoy. Ford did their homework. Challenger and Camaro are junk in comparison with performance. Period. The 5.0L engine is very impressive, I spun WITH traction control on in first three gears could not shift fast enough, redline right NOW!!! The factory heads in the motor out flow ALL production heads and MANY race heads. The LS V8 is great because of the heads the new 5.0L Mustang is for the same reason, great heads with lots of airflow.

A C5 will probably get out ran if the driver in the mustang has any skill. A C5 Z06 should still be faster. The C6 no comparison, the C6 should still be faster if the person behind the wheel can drive.

Yes, it is faster than any LT1/LT4 C4 but the Mustang is also at least 14 years newer. ON a tight road course where HP doesnt matter so much, I bet a C4 would give a 5.0L Mustang even with the Track Pack fits for lap times.

FYI, new Mustang GT 5.0L weights about 3600lbs, Camaro SS about 3900lbs, and the real porker Challenger SRT8 is about 4100lbs. ADD LIGHTNESS!!!

The New 5.0L Mustang is an animal, wish I could put one next to my Vette in the garage. Maybe in about 10 years when they are not 35K. Or I could buy a C5 Z06 for 25K. Just saying.:D

The New Mustang GT is about 3600lbs, Camaro SS is about 3900lbs, the Challenge SRT8 is about 4100lbs. ADD LIGHTNESS!!!

Screw those things...

Thats why the "stock appearence" is so very important to the Corvette owner/driver..

All I got to say about the new 5.0 Mudstain is bring it on so I can open a can of whipass on it. :D

Even the current Corvette's will be surpassed in performance one day by many vehicles. It's bound to happen. What irritates me is the arrogance of some people after they get whooped. You know, the typical comments such as: "it's only a Rustang," "I get more attention from girls in a Corvette anyway," blah blah blah.

You get beat, you get beat and it doesn't matter by who. Those are the same guys who will brag if they beat a Celica but change their attitude when beat by a "lesser" car.

I found it amusing when I was told that story about the LT1 beating the 5.0 but the guy was insistent that he beat it. :ugh Maybe he was racing the 300HP V6 variant?

Sure, the C5 Z06 may be faster now but technology will pass that by as well.

Ultimately, why can't it just come down to being happy with what you've got instead of making everything into a richard measuring contest? :chuckle

Even the current Corvette's will be surpassed in performance one day by many vehicles. It's bound to happen. What irritates me is the arrogance of some people after they get whooped. You know, the typical comments such as: "it's only a Rustang," "I get more attention from girls in a Corvette anyway," blah blah blah.

You get beat, you get beat and it doesn't matter by who. Those are the same guys who will brag if they beat a Celica but change their attitude when beat by a "lesser" car.

I found it amusing when I was told that story about the LT1 beating the 5.0 but the guy was insistent that he beat it. :ugh Maybe he was racing the 300HP V6 variant?
:chuckle

I'm with you, street racing is like fish stories and Fox News: so what.

Show me your time slips.

This would be the very reason I elected not to build my motor back stock when that time came. Granted it was premature, nevertheless the decision was an easy one. I don't go out and street race like a jackass, but it is comforting to ME to know I have more power under the pedal. Is it faster than a new 5.0, won't know unless a special circumstance arises.

I'm certainly playing the game now about the next vette purchase. Will it be a late C5 Z06, or a C6. If I hold off another two years maybe I could break into the early C6 Z's but then I have to wonder how hard they were beat on.

This would be the very reason I elected not to build my motor back stock when that time came. Granted it was premature, nevertheless the decision was an easy one. I don't go out and street race like a jackass, but it is comforting to ME to know I have more power under the pedal. Is it faster than a new 5.0, won't know unless a special circumstance arises.

I'm certainly playing the game now about the next vette purchase. Will it be a late C5 Z06, or a C6. If I hold off another two years maybe I could break into the early C6 Z's but then I have to wonder how hard they were beat on.

Agreed. I did the same thing and damn glad that I did. I don;t go out screwing with Z-vettes...but just about anything else is fair game. Skill has a little to do with the competitions as well.
Call me old fashion, but it seems like LOVING your Corvette and believing that its the best thing on the roads is simply Pride of Ownership. Something that some folks just don;t have, appearently. Those that don't, are often the same ones that don't wave....

Sure, the C5 Z06 may be faster now but technology will pass that by as well.

Ultimately, why can't it just come down to being happy with what you've got instead of making everything into a richard measuring contest? :chuckle

Exactly, people are like your Corvette only has 300HP? Well, lets go back to 1993 and see how much your car had. Apples to apples. I only compare stock cars to stock cars, because when it comes to mod on mod, money wins most of the time. My 1993 Corvette in 93 was one of the fastest cars avalible today it is no where near being one of the fastest, but is it still fast even by today's standards, YES!!! Can it still handle and brake with newer sports cars, YES!!! So I have nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for. Heck, a 84 Z51 with good tires and a skilled driver could give a lot of cars a fit on a tight road course or auto-X just because the car is fundamentally sound. :beer

This is a great thread. Even though its a few years old. It still hits hard on some common themes near and dear to all of us.

I love my Corvette! There is nothing like the sound of a Detroit V8 idling or revving up to speed. The Vette sounds and looks cooler than most anything on the road. It always attracts looks and stares, and sometimes a small crowd. Back in the day, and now, Corvettes stand out. They are RARE compared to the numbers of Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers that are turned out by the hundreds of thousands.

I have to smile when ever I am first in line at a traffic light. Frequently I get challenged by someone revving in the adjacent lane, wanting to test me off the light. Most of the time I just wave them off, preferring to cruise along at my normal speed. Just enjoying the fact that they respected the Corvette and they wanted to test their vehicle against mine. Occasionally I will succumb to the moment and the testosterone, letting her go, feeling her pull hard through the gears, reveling in the roar of the V8 ....she seldom disappoints.

When I was younger I had a bunch of street racers, 64 Chevy Impala SS, 66 Chevelle SS, 67 Impala SS, etc. I loved working on them and racing them. I went through most every edition of Hot Rod magazine for every tip possible that would wring a bit more speed out of them in the quarter mile. I worked on lots of weekend dragsters and spent a ton of money on "weak links". Trust me, when you build big engines with lots of horsepower, you have to build everything super tuff to handle all of that power. Otherwise you get towed home a lot.

There is a local car meet here that attracts cars of all types. I enjoy attending it immensely. I show my car, and meet and talk to the other car owners. We have them all, Corvette owners, F-Bodies, Classics, Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Stangs, Cobras, GTO's, Classics and Current stock.

Love em or hate em, you have to respect what the import MFGs and the local guys that love them are doing to wring HUGE horsepower out of 4 and 6 cylinder engines. TSupras creating 800 hp! Civics running 400 hp! It's really pretty impressive to an old wrench turner.

Equally impressive are the stock engines available in the new Corvette, Mustangs and Camaro. Really expensive and impressive!

One thing everyone at the car meet has in common is that we ENJOY CARS and working on Cars. We look at each others cars and engines, we share ideas, we compliment each others work. WE LEARN and WE DO. It's great!

Dave, Round Rock, TX

This is a great thread. Even though its a few years old. It still hits hard on some common themes near and dear to all of us.

I think this thread is even more relevant now because Chris somewhat forsaw what the future would bring. Kinda spooky!:L

Cars are quicker/faster these days, no one can dispute that. But for someone to deny that is like denying that they're getting old and can still run with the young kids and play sports like they're 20 again. I know guys like that, they usually regret it the next day.;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom