Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It is US against them, a call to arms!

Have I been here before?

Seems like I was having a similar disagreement a few months back with another member. OHC/DOHC vs. Pushrod, redlines vs. cubes, etc., etc. I don't think that anything new has been said here. So what's to be taken by all this?Nothing much. One guy will think this, one guy will think that. Freedom of opinion, no matter which way you cut it. Comparisons will always be made and whether they are fair or not is of little matter. That's just competitive thinking. Some guy said in another thread that the current Firebird is the most beautiful car around, which made me nearly hurl. But what the hell! It's his car, his money and his opinion. I'm a devout lover and follower of Ferrari and there's no way in the world that I'll ever be convinced that they are less than the best, with perhaps the exception of the all-out McLaren F1. It has to do with my experience with a certain Testarossa on a Sunday afternoon. It made me fall in love with great cars in general, so I have a great affinity with the Italian marque. To each, his own.

Going back to Chris's point about what mods can be made. I think that while the 12hp gain at peak might not be significant, it the area of improvement overall throughout the RPM range. Chris, I know you probably have the issue of Car Craft that the tune up the project Fireturd. I think the gain through the RPM range is something like 35hp. Also, the point of weight is of paramount concern. I'm not familair of where you can cut the weight in the C4, but I'm sure that simply doing the old-school way of drilling brackets and getting rid of the fluff, is cheap and easy. It just costs time.

I think your suggestion of going with one company and putting together a package is sound advice. I think all the misinformation comes from different people mixing and matching parts and expecting the same results. The aftermarket is catching on quickly as different companies like Comp Cams and TCI have joined forces to recommend a torque convertor/camshaft combo. Like Grumpryvette has been preaching about, homework has to be done before the money is spent. If the information overwhelms the average Joe, then there is always the tech lines. I think that some peole are too proud to admit that they need help in general, when it comes to putting a package together.

Good luck Chris, with putting something together that will be cost efficient. Whether someone does the mods or not, we all have to respect the attempt. :upthumbs

--Bullitt

Side Note:

Actually, Syclones were only built in 1991, and both Sy's and Ty's have a turbocharged/intercooled 4.3 liter V6. Syclones also have a bed load limit of 500 lbs, as opposed to 100. Only 2995 Syclones were built.

Typhoons were produced in 1992 and 1993 with 2900 built in '92, and 2200 built in '93. Their load limit was 900lbs, neither of which has towing ability.

Engine Specifications:
Here's the master spec sheet from the manuals:
GENERAL
Type: V6
Disp.: 262 C.I. (4.3L)
Horsepower: 280 BHP @ 4400 (Syclone) 285 BHP @4400 (Typhoon)
Torque: 350 lb-ft @ 3600 (Syclone) 350 lb-ft @ 3600 (Typhoon)
RPO: LB4
Bore: 4.00
Stroke: 3.48
Comp. Ratio: 8.35:1
Firing Order: 1-6-5-4-3-2
Oil Pres. (Min) 6 psi@ 1000 RPM, 18 psi@ 2000 RPM, 24 psi@ 4000 RPM

For more information check out:

SyTy Org.
SportMachines.Com
SyTy BB
SyTy Authority

That should keep ya readin for a while. :D

That's enough distraction outta me. I'm through. :L And thanks for the heads up Eric. I knew GM wouldn't be far behind, with Dodge giving the go-ahead to the SRT? division, and of course, F*RD has had SVT for a few years.

-T Jay

call to arm's

I agree with big red.I started to build my 82 up like you would in the early seventies,gobs of R.PM. compression,and things that were way outdated.SOOOO I got talked into a set of AFR heads,MSD,Demon carb,hydraulic roller bump stick,Hughes 700R4,3.73 gear,Hookers,and the list goes on.What I am getting at is I have a vette that costs less than an average car and handles and has gobs of power for about 20,000 total,parts and car.Also it gives me great pleasure to drive.I almost forgot to mention that for that amount of money you have to do the work youself.I have to remeber how fortunate I am to be able to do that.

I'm a little late getting in on this one (vacation:cool) Geting back to the original question,all I can say is I'll take on any stock 85 ricer,all comers, anytime,anyday. The point being we can not expect to stay on pace with technology decades ahead of some of our vettes.For ex, big blocks are super for straight line racing even against todays standards, but even in this case,open road they wouldn't stand a chance at top end speeds put out by almost any ricer sport coup. So What. My Benz does 140 so what?
Put any factory 2002 ricer up against the Z06 and he'll be spittin out rubber. I think we're comparing apples to oranges. GM continues to build one of the worlds greatest sport cars,The Vette. All I know is that when I drive my Shark and C4 I cherrish every moment and appreciate the car for what it is. With enough $$$$$$$$$$$ you can buy all the speed you want if that's you bag. I choose to remain stock and can really appreciate the mods you guys do. That's what makes this forum so great.
Just my .02
By the way, the cruise to COCO CAY was Ssssssswwwweeeeeeetttttttt:cool

rrubel said:

My bad... I did know that (it's right on the hood). The Typhoon/Syclone had Vortecs, right?

No, vortec is the newer style 4.3L motor. Many of the sy/ty guys have been taking the newer vortec heads and putting them on the sy/ty motors. Of course you have to do some machine work on the intake manifold for them to work.

Ya'll should feel a 16+lb. launch in a sy/ty.....there is nothing else like it.

I really don't see a threat from ricers. I've got several friends with imports and it is easier for them to find parts, and they are usually about half the price of what you'd pay to mod a Vette. The issue is they are starting from a car that runs high 15's, low 16's in the 1/4 mile. My friend with a Civic SI has put about $1600 into his car to gain .5 seconds for his 1/4 mile and he's now running 15.5's. To run in the 13's he'd have to add atleast another 5k just to break into 13's, and 12's, please. These cars can be made to be fast, but they'd spend more money to get to the 12's or 11's then we would.

I do agree with 69 that there is not really a standard package for Vette's. I've just been doing my research and working with a good mechanic to find the right solution for me. I'd like to see low 12's in my car. Doing the research and talking to people like you make it more fun for me. We all love our cars, and like to share info with everyone else who has one. Why do you think we wave? :w

I have the car I've always wanted. It's a sports car with class and muscle. You can't tell me your dream car is a Civic, Eclipse, etc.

My .02
-JimS

From a Subaru Impreza mailing list I'm on:

"Interesting end of work day... driving home...
i get on the connector to my house... some ASS in a corvette starts pulling real close to an old lady in a buick so i get around them and take off to get away... he comes ripping up on my ass... SO i take him in every turn... then i get to the end of the highway... he motioning off to a restaurant.... im thinknig cool, nice guy... WRONG get out... says whats your problem, wanna race, i got a 454 under here... i said yeah i race, i do auto-x, limerock.. i turn goood lap times, i have done 1/4 mile and i told him my time (embilished) i said i dont street race, but... and i started to say something, but he diddnt want to hear it... got in his ***** wagon and pealed rubber out... what a ****.... guess the rumors are true..."

Take it for whatever it's worth.

rrubel said:
From a Subaru Impreza mailing list I'm on:

"Interesting end of work day... driving home...
i get on the connector to my house... some ASS in a corvette starts pulling real close to an old lady in a buick so i get around them and take off to get away... he comes ripping up on my ass... SO i take him in every turn... then i get to the end of the highway... he motioning off to a restaurant.... im thinknig cool, nice guy... WRONG get out... says whats your problem, wanna race, i got a 454 under here... i said yeah i race, i do auto-x, limerock.. i turn goood lap times, i have done 1/4 mile and i told him my time (embilished) i said i dont street race, but... and i started to say something, but he diddnt want to hear it... got in his *****wagon and pealed rubber out... what a *****.... guess the rumors are true..."

Take it for whatever it's worth.

:L talk about stereo types in action!

I hate rice!

uurrrgh few things annoy me like seeing a Honda Civic with a 14 inch spoiler and oversized muffler. I've always wanted to ask why his spolier is larger than mine (a '72)? for that matter why is his muffler twice the size of mine, when its less than 1/2 the cubes?

(warning the following is somewhat offensive )

Americans should drive American cars. When ever I see one of the roach looking tin cans, I think sissy. A real man drives a man's car, made in a man's country!

To me the Corvette isn't just a piece of American pie... its the whole damn thing. All those other cars are made by countries we went to war with less than 60 years ago! (There are plenty of people still alive who remember WWII)

I don't like to race my Vette, I just like to cruise. But I can say this, when it gets out of the shop I'm gonna go looking for some rice to burn! :)

(end of offensive patriotism)

-Gooney

I recieved a new catalog from Summit the other day and it had a supplement catalog with it. It listed a bunch of parts for imports. Most of it needed engine mods to utilize it . The engine might be small but the intakes,heads, carbs ,oil pans etc,etc, were not cheap. Seeing that there are very few ricers that are of the 13 sec rangeout ofthe box, it would take some serious cash to get them there or faster. If I owned one I would probably go to the extent to make it fast just like I'm doing to my Vette.

3 things that are All American

1. Baseball
2. Apple Pie
3. Corvette's

But I don't dislike imports, my daily driver is a Toyota Camry V6. Hey, at least it has 6 cylinders!:D

Re: I hate rice!

gooney0 said:
Americans should drive American cars. When ever I see one of the roach looking tin cans, I think sissy. A real man drives a man's car, made in a man's country!

Why should we drive just American cars? Who are you to judge who is a real man by what they drive? I am all ameican, have only owned american cars. Dont be closed minded about other types of vehicles. For instance, lets just say Chris (69MyWay) buys a little import car for daily driving, does that make him any less of a man?

Wish you were closer...I have a New Beetle here that would give you a run for your money when you get your car out of the shop....Kraut vs. American on the strip...would be fun! :)

Toodles!

That letter from the Subaru Imprezza mailing list is very interesting. Maybe its me, but take a lok at the folks driving the ricers and the folks driving Corvettes, most Vette drivers I see are usually driving in a more mature style and seem approachable to talk to about their cars. I dont remember the last time i saw a Vette doing stuff in traffic like the writer reports. I guess when you spend up to 50 grand on a car you treat it well.

On the other hand, I almost daily see ricers driving like total a-holes. Maybe its living in NYC, I dont know.

And as for pulling over to talk cars, I guess I could compliment the grossly oversized wing, the coffee can exhaust outlet, the purple neon and the nice stereo pumping out distorted bass notes louder than a police siren.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/c4s4ever/

Everyone here seems to talk about the normal riced out civics and so forth. Do any of you ever come across a well built import??? There is a ton around here, I think you would have a new somewhat respect for them.

2KSonoma,

I'm entiltled to my opinion, and I'm entitled to express it.

I'll toss you a bone, and fall for your atempt to pit me against another community member. "yes it would" :)

-Gooney0

P.S. You missed my point.... I don't care if you've got a toaster that does 10's in the quarter mile. Patriotism isn't buying American Flags with little "Made in China" stickers on the back. I choose to put my money where my mouth is. I only buy American.

Re: Re: I hate rice!

2KSonoma said:
I am all ameican
2k--American has an R in it.

WarrenS--Well said. I think the demographics are a bit different for vette owners vs. ricers. Maybe it's just that the 18 year olds can't afford a vette yet. There are a lot of those gross wing, coffee can exhaust, purple neon ultra-thumpers here too. They make me laugh like when I see a kid with pink and purple hair and a bone thru his/her nose.

Gooney--hang in there bra-I know what you are saying. I buy what ever is the best value no matter where it is from, but I know where you are coming from.:D These days almost nothing is made in America anymore-not totally anyway.
--Drew:w
:bu:bu

gooney0 said:
P.S. You missed my point.... I don't care if you've got a toaster that does 10's in the quarter mile. Patriotism isn't buying American Flags with little "Made in China" stickers on the back. I choose to put my money where my mouth is. I only buy American.

OK, you just hit a real sour note with me. Define "American" WRT cars. Is it the F-body Camaro, which is made in Canada? Is it the Ford Taurus, which is made in Mexico? Or is it the Subaru Legacy, which is made in Lafayette, Indiana by a company that's 20% owned by GM? Or is it the BMW Z3, made in South Carolina, not too far from where the Mercedes ML is produced? Or the Chevy Prizm, which is a rebadged Toyota Corolla that's built in California - on the same assembly line as the Corolla itself? Or the Tennessee-made Saturn which has so many parts stamped "Made in Japan" it's a wonder it doesn't bow to you? Or a Volvo, which is made in Sweden by a company that's owned 100% by Ford? I mean, really... there *is* no such thing as an American car these days. The parent companies and their products are all a part of a global marketplace that has no room for misplaced Patriotism. Be American in ways that will actually help - join the armed forces as a reservist. Volunteer for the Red Cross. Wave to firemen and policemen when you see them. Vote. Write a knowledgeable letter to your congressman on an issue you care about. Display an American flag proudly, following the proper rules for its care, regardless of where it was made. You get the drift.

Sorry, soapbox off.
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom