Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It is US against them, a call to arms!

Re: Re: Re: I hate rice!

Drewser said:

2k--American has an R in it.

Hey, thanks man...I am glad you cleared that up for everyone. I guess no one knew what I meant?

transam turbo cars........

were built in 80 with the 301 i believe was a indy pace car (i owned a 77 formula it had a big block 301 in it was only 2 years for that motor 77 and 80 i believe. rest were 350's unless you got the 400 or 455's hooshya daddy model...lol :BOW )and in 87 they built a 3.8 V6 turbo car was another indy pace car. the 87's were all white. i seen one down the ocean back in 93 in my iroc hay days ;) going from memory here :s

back to the subject

The L98 has a lot of torque, but struggles to breath at the top end. So is there a conventional way (besides replacing the motor) to solve this problem?

The LT1/4's don't have this problem and the LT5 certainly doesn't have this problem.

The L98 has a lot of torque, but struggles to breath at the top end. So is there a conventional way (besides replacing the motor) to solve this problem?

I have seen L98 cars run very strong with
1.6 rockers
long tube headers with low restriction mufflers
cleaned up heads(basic valve job, nothing serious)
polished plenum
aftermarket fuel regulator
modified air box / inlet

Low 13s

So if someone were to ask me, the total non-expert-just-learning L98 owner what a package of must-have mods would be, this would be my list (in no particular order):

1. remove MAF screens
2. TB airfoil and coolant reroute
3. MAT relocation
4. K&N filter (I hesitate at the open housing; we get LOTS of standing water here)
5. roller rockers (1.5, 1.6, heard both)
6. adj. fuel regulator
7. catback exhaust
8. 180 t-stat (not 160)

No clue what the sum total HP would be, but excluding labor and the exhaust these should cost under $500 easy. Most of them I've done or will soon be doing.

Did I miss anything easy and obvious?
[RICHR]

hmmmm........

Hey Rich,

I'd like to hook up sometime if we could so you could point that stuff out cause i'm looking to do the same things but the vette is like the star trek enterprise don't know where anything is!..lol i am mechanically competent though :D

adj. fuel regulator: what exactly is that? around how much does that run for and is it easy to install?

Can removing the MAF screens really do that much for you? What about the high performance MAF's or high flow catalytic convertors?

What about getting rid of the 2 small convertors? Those have to restrict flow like a mother!

The big block wasnt a 301 , it was a 403 olds engine .I had one in 79 in a TransAm....the 301 was the turbo

I was thinking

How could a 4 banger make more power per cube than a bigger cubed engine?

I got it, V8's have more rotating mass, in terms of more pistons, rods, and crank to turn per firing than a 4 banger.

Ask about torque, HAH lets talk BBBIIGG BBLLOOCCKK BABY!!! aint no euro going there!!!

What do you guys think?

Frank

I just had to put in my part on this post:cool

Well, I'm not going to get into the whole "American" argument. Some opinions don't warrant a response.

Anyhow, there was a manual on F-body modifications concerning the TPI motors that I'm sure would benefit Corvette L98 owners. They were advertised in the back of most magazines, but I can't remember what it was called or if they are sold anymore. I wonder if the Camaro Performnce Handbook written by David Shelby would be of use? It covered '82-'92 mods. All of the suggestions so far on the modifications are right on. The weak point of TPI units are the runners. People have gone to the trouble of replacing only the throttle body, to learn that they still are not developing better airflow potential. So the advice to replace the runners first, is better thinking.

Bullwinkle- The fuel regulator determines the level of PSI that the fuel reaches the injectors. Adjusting is necessary to achieve higher flow if needed with aftermarket performance parts. If you want to run Nitrous, it's a wise idea. Units range from $70-$100 for TPIs (depending on manufacturer) and more for LT1 applications. I guess difficulty would have to be judged on access and your capabilities, but it's a bolt-on affair for the part itself.

Whatever your opinions are, some of these posts have strayed a bit too far off. There's an "Off-Road Lounge" for a reason.

--Bullitt

Well my standpoint on this thing is

A fast car is a fast car! ANY WAY YOU CUT IT!!!

The only cars that I respect right out of the box are Supras and RX-7's. If a Civic can do it, hey I give them proper respect!

Respect is something that has to be earned. Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds all have earned it at one time or another. These things are the new kids on the block.

I think what upsets people is how ridiculus some of these things look with the crazy color schemes and wild "wings". I do admit there are idiot drivers on both sides of the fence, thats something that I agree on. The other day I was at a gas station and there was a nice looking firebird, the guy standing next to it thought he was all that. He cranked it up and it was a six WT? These "ricers" think because they have a fart pipe and so on its the s**t and can burn anything on the road. The point is the coin flips both ways.

just my .02 cents

Frank

Re: hmmmm....

Mad-Mic said:
i'm pretty positive that they made a 301 big block it was the smallest they made. i know in 77 they did have it in some formula's

Buick, Olds and Pontiac were never big on the whole big block/small block thing. This is mostly due to the fact that externally all their motors were identical, meaning a 350 was just as deep and wide and would bolt right in where a 455 would, great fun for the street racer. "Sure, mostly stock 350"... Fill in the rest.. :)

The 301 was an Poncho motor, and probibly the worst they ever made. It was unique amoung all their motors, and not a very good design or performer overall. It's most desirable atribute was that it could be assembled on the same line as all their 4 cylindrs could, it was designed in an attempt at better gas millege.
It was first offered in 79, and shortly after in it's well known turbo version, it was such an "awsome machine" it produced a grand total of 200hp. Not the brightest days for the F-body, and the 301 was about as far as you can get from a big block and still have 8 cylinders made in the USA.....

your absolutily correct on all that info......Do you remember them putting in the 403 olds? I think it was 77 thru 79. The called it their 6.6 also along with the poncho 400. I have no idea what that was all about,one of them GM things.I owned one . Great torque , but kind of a slug.......It was in the TA btw...

Yeah, they got the 403 early as 77, it was a decent alternative to the 400, though I still prefer the "real" pontiac motor. Both were decent street motors, and on heck of a lot more than anyone else had at the time. People forget that compared to the camaro, vette, and mustang's of the day, the TA was the only performance game in town for a long while there. That 403 came along about when the Smokey and the Bandit craze struck, I've often wished you could get those cars with the earlier non-emmesions choked motors, that would have been great. I'll probibly build one eventually, but nice examples are getting expensive already.

I still think it was the TA's downfall to start using chevy motors, they were better all around cars from day one compared to the camaro.

warren s said:

The solution to the problem is an aftermarket intake manifold.
I've a friend who did all the standard hop ups (cam, heads,exhaust, headers, fuel pressure regulator,etc.) on his L-98 but it still falls on it's face at 5200 rpm. After long hours of research,which could have been greatly truncated with one call to TPIS or Lingenfelter, the answer was the Accel SuperRam. This manifold is similar in design to the LT1-LT4's from GM and will open your car up for some real top end fun.

If it is a horsepower kit you're looking for, something engineered to make your build up easier, call or go online with either TPIS or Lingenfelter. They can get you as much horsepower as your little heart desires or as the budget can bear.

I did the research and built my LT1 based on the TPIS 405HP kit and have been extremly happy with the results. I have had no problem dispatching the sub-compact "competition" in my area.
Cobra's with superchargers and Vipers are another story but as with any project, I'm far form complete.

I'll go through my notes and make a nice LT1 build up list in the next couple of days.

Steve

Does Street Legal Performance (SLP) no longer make TPI performance stuff? A few years ago they had quite a system worked out for the F-body guys running that motor.
?

/edit/ I see Summit still list's SLP's intake runners for $270, wonder how they compare to others on the market, there an older design. /edit/

Re: hmmmm........

Mad-Mic said:
I'd like to hook up sometime if we could so you could point that stuff out cause i'm looking to do the same things but the vette is like the star trek enterprise don't know where anything is!..lol i am mechanically competent though :D

I'd be happy to share what I know; most of it came from the fine folks here anyway...
[RICHR]

BullWinkle said:
Can removing the MAF screens really do that much for you? What about the high performance MAF's or high flow catalytic convertors?

I picked up two of the books that TPIS sells, one showcasing all their mods and the other talking about perf-tuning SBCs in general (nice chapter on the TPI engines, but more geared towards carbs). I loaned that out, but when I get it back I'll post what they say.

Anyway, the TPIS-written book shows the amount of airflow gained by doing various mods including the MAF screens (and they go one step further and remove the interior cooling fins). Their high-performance MAF is simply a regular MAF with these items removed. They claim about a 12 CFM increase but I don't have the book in front of me at the moment. That equates to a couple of HP essentially for free.

[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom