Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

K&N Filter... what a p.o.s!

Just found that AC Delco has a web site with parts search stuff on it.

The LT1 does use the same filter as the LT4. And it looks like it's the same filter for all the model years 90-96.

So why is my K&N filter that is supposed to replace it such a different size? Maybe it really is a defective one.

- Skant

Those funny little foam pieces only go on the back side to keep dirt from slipping under the filter in into the intake. Just a better seal. My K&N on the 96 LT4 fits just fine. I have a cut air lid, so its easier to look at the filter from the top side and line it up right before install. I don't know if you're doing this or not, but definately pull the whole intake ducting out of the car to intall it, rather than trying to slip it into place with the box still in the car. Thats more pain than just pulling it out.

K&N FIlter

Mine doesn't fit exactly right. I have to fight with it every time I take it apart., so I sorta know what you are talking about. But it's not off so much that I can't use it. For what it costs it should be a better fit. Sounds like yours is a little more off.

It's not his ability of 'installing the filter'. The filter is a POS. I bought it from ZIP also, along with the Cut lid. It took me hours to get them to FIT and not look like total crap. I was really ****ed that it took that long, and didn't just 'fit'. I know exactly what you mean, and you'll have even more fun puttin the lid/k+n back on the intake!! You'll notice the k/n wanting to pop out.

Skant's K&N probs

Look, since your car is pre-owned..., is it possible the last owner did something funky to the airbox?!

Believe me, I have a friend who purchased a '96..., lo and behold, the previous owner had installed his own cold air induction system with a HUGE air box from what looked like some very large truck! Made that sucker fit too.

You live in California, correct? There are plenty of places there that sell K&N products. Check them out. Call around. It's good to have two anyway. You don't necessarily need to order from ZIP.

Compare prices with Mid-America, Eckler's, Corvette Central, etc. They all have web sites too.

By the way..., I've installed a K&N filter also. Getting the filter in was no problem, but making my airbox go back to square one nearly gave me a hemorrage. (The previous owner of my car had performed a bit of surgery on the *&^%$ box that wasn't noticeable until I removed it.)

Good luck. It's all good. YOU have a Corvette!!!

K&N Filter

I also fought installing the filter. I made 3 attemps before I felt comfortable that the foam strips hadn't rolled when assembled. The K&N grease that is applied to the strips makes the job messy. Besure and remove the entire air
box and turn upside down on a flat surface while doing the assembly. Follow the instructions closely. The filter fits in the lid,not the opening where the foam strips are located. The filter sits on top of the greased strips.

vee93: I purchased a new airbox lid at the same time, and the filter doesn't fit properly into either of them. And yet the stock filter (which does have the correct stock part number) fits both perfectly. So I don't think it was altered.

It sounds like a goodly number of people have had trouble getting it to fit. Some, like me, gave up on it.

I'll put it this way. If I was determined to make it fit, I would succeed in making it fit. But based on other postings about dyno numbers, I'm not convinced that the K&N makes an improvement on the Corvette application (it definatley does on other vehicles with smaller filters!). If someone posted that they dyno'ed their LT4 before and after K&N only and it showed a few more horses, I'd go out there and make my filter fit.

But what I've read shows different. The dyno showed the K&N adding nothing at all. The filter is just so big, that K&N, stock, and no filter have the same results. No restriction to flow whatsoever is coming from the filter.

So I don't feel compelled to go through the effort of making this filter fit. I still can't see any reason for it to not have been constructed to exactly the same size as the stock filter and just drop in without any special efforts or alterations.

I'm not willing to fight with it, jury rig it, or spend any effort altering it when there aren't any apparent gains to be had. As far as I can tell, it's a fairly useless product on the LT1/LT4 Corvette. And it's just floating on the name.

On other vehicles it's a definate boon. Don't get me wrong. It had a noticable effect on my K-5 Blazer. But I think the usefulness of K&N depends on the particular application.

- Skant

Skant,
I never used a K&N before. I didn't think it would make enough difference to worth the high price. I just put one in on my LT4. I have a noticeable improvement that was immediate. For me, it was worth it.

That's odd. I installed a K&N in my 96 LT4. Fit great. Now on my 91 L98, i had a similar issue to yours. The foam strip provided was not think enough. I could see very small gaps around the area were the filter contacts the housing. I went to Home Depot and bought the thicker stuff. Work fine after that.
The only thing i can think of is the filter housing is bent in some way or form.

Skant said:
Just found that AC Delco has a web site with parts search stuff on it.

The LT1 does use the same filter as the LT4. And it looks like it's the same filter for all the model years 90-96.

So why is my K&N filter that is supposed to replace it such a different size? Maybe it really is a defective one.

- Skant

Sure is. I kept the filter from my 91 when i sold it. I put the same filter in my 96 LT4. Works fine.

Always had good luck with a K&N filter here.

8388 said:
Always had good luck with a K&N filter here. [/QUOTE

Hey Sam, didnt the K&N give you like 33rwhp on your ZR-1? :gap

I love my K&N Filter. It fits snug and I actually noticed a small improvement after I installed it (or at least I think I did!) And you gotta like the fact that you can actually hear more airflow being sucked in.

Some people claim that there's no HP gain from a K&N, but I've seen back to back chasis dynos that show a small improvement. I've seen as much 8 rwhp, although not really a whole lot, no one walks away from more hp.

Modded engines seems to benefit the most.
-SAM-

More flow = more go... that's the name of the game.

Take your blow gun (no funnies here!) and hold it a foot from the paper element standard filter. Then try it with the K&N. Feel more air penetrating the filter? Yep. My dishwasher loves cleaning'em too. I only run them through without the dishes and then run an extra "rinse" cycle, so it's still safe to eat at my house! :)

I just put one in my '89 conv. It fit great. I guess It depends on the model year.

Well, I won't join the battle of whether they allow more airflow or not; seems you get differing opnions depending on who you talk to and on which board.

All I can do is tell my personal experience.

I installed one in my 86 a few years back after doing the full TPIS mod route by cutting the lid, etc.

I was in a testing and tuning mode then, after rebuilding the engine, changing cams and doing other mods. Had the PROM re-burned a couple of times until Diacom gave me the numbers I was looking for.

I then pretty much forgot about it and drove off happily into the sunset. Last year I hooked up Diacom again and saw that my Interator and BLM values were running low. BLM was at 108 during closed loop and Int values around the 124 range. 108 tells me RICH and the ECM is pullling out fuel.

Did all the regular checks to make sure everything was on spec, and it was, and I mean I checked everything!

I then removed the MAF, turned it upside down and shot the sensor wires with carb cleaner. Reinstalled everything and BANG; BLMs returned to normal.

So I concluded I was experiencing coated MAF sensor wires. Asked around on another board and found that someone else had the same problem.

Seems the red gunk the K&N puts on the filter medium migrates to the MAF over time and coats the sensor wires. So I cleaned all of it off my filter, shot the MAF again, and every month of so I run Diacom. So far the values remain normal and it's been over six months now.

Don't want to start a war, just my experience.

Jake

i have a moroso holder....

it fits it like a glove.....on top of my holly carb.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom