Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ken's Engine Project... Part VI - 2004

Sorry to hear that you're still having troubles Mike. That's hot roddin' for ya! ;)

Took the manifold off today and here's what I found: (click 'em to enlarge 'em)

Here's the main offender:​

I am wondering about the other ports though; it appears that they were leaking as well, but mainly sucking oil. It pays to use good gaskets to start with. I'm gonna have to get on Will's ass about this because he's the last one to install the intake gaskets. :hb

That looks like an lt1 to an lt4 intake to head fit .

Good old chevrolet controled seapage.

It's the next best thing - it's a TPiS Mini Ram on Edelbrock E-Tec heads. :hb

On my 86 I chose to go with an LT1 motor with LT4 intake and afr heads and gen 7 system.

Motor should be here next week it should be in long beach on monday.

then the L98 goes in the trash.

No, no, not the trash! There are plenty of people who desire the L-98. ;)

Who would want a torque monster like an L98?I can count the 84 to 89 vets here on one hand that might use it.
It spins the tires real good but with BFG'S A VOLKSWAGON can do that .
I am going to switch the nitto's from the 94 and put them on the 86 and see if I can hook it up. I put a dana 44 in with 3.33 gears.
I am going to thrash the 86 with the juice when the lt4 gets here.
Where you live I can't see why ?the problems with the engine.
I have one trans shop and no engine shops that know one thing about fuel injection.

Trash??!!! no way . how many miles on it? nothing else could make a good power plant for an econo rod. What ya need for it ?

OH! wait, your in the middle of the pond ? guess shipping would eat the wallet. :duh

It's an Island chain, I could take a few links out of the Island chain and float it your way shiping would be cheaper.;LOL

Ken you are scaring me!:eek
What am I going to find when I pull the TIPS bigmouth off of thunder? I am still waiting for the tester that jpanek recommended to arrive in the mail before I start pulling things apart.
It is raining here so I would not be driving Thunder anyway. All of that HP and Torque does not mix well with wet roads and (Politically incorrect) drivers.;LOL
:w

Spanish, my problems with the gasket ain't got nuthin' to do with TPiS - it ain't their fault, it's either mine or Will's. Someone wasn't paying attention when they bolted the intake to the heads. :L

Ken said:
Spanish, my problems with the gasket ain't got nuthin' to do with TPiS - it ain't their fault, it's either mine or Will's. Someone wasn't paying attention when they bolted the intake to the heads. :L
Did I mention that Franki and I drank quite a bit when we did the engine swap? As a matter of fact we got got down right:Silly . Now I should be afraid...very afraid!:eyerole
I started another thread about Gaskets but I will throw it out here as well. What brand / part #s are you guys using?
:w

Felpro's seal mine (most of the time ;)). :w

Oh, of course, Mr. Murphy couldn't allow me to finish this job without something going awry. I felt one of the intake bolts go slack on me just as I reached the torque spec. I didn't **** with it any - I just left it alone and moved on. I'll cross my fingers and take my chances I guess. :eyerole

Heili coil time ? Do we need to say a little prayer for the threads in the hole? ;worship

It's on the road again.

But not without Mr. Murphy having one more shot at me. This time it was an O-ring on the crossover tube that wouldn't seal. As soon as I turned the key it started spraying gasoline everywhere again. Damnit, can't anything ever go right the first time, and not have me rework everything I do. I took my time too, and followed everything to the letter, including lubricating the O-rings before installing them. Sometimes I just can't win!

In the meantime, Everything is tight as far as I can tell. :bu

Ya know, I had a guardian angel sittin' on my shoulder again today. When I first turned that key and had fuel spraying everywhere, I also had a cigarette burning in my lips; I had just lit the cigarette before attempting to start it. Needless to say I was very lucky! :eek

Also of note: the stock fuel pump certainly wouldn't meet my current requirements for fuel supply. Before checking after each attempt to find and fix the leak, I pulled the fuse for the Bosch racing pump and just relied on the stock in-tank pump to pressure up the system. That pump barely allowed a trickle from the leak, whereas with the Bosch pump on it was spraying leak a broken fire hydrant! My engine drinks a lot of fuel (45 lbs-hr injectors), but what it doesn't need obviously returns to the tank.

Maybe good reason to quit smoking? :blow The stock pump that weak or the aftermarket pump that high of pressure ? Is there room for a double O ring ? I have found on some applications that it helps

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom