Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L-48 Replacement Engine #s

Greekman

Corvette
'67 327/350-'73 LS4-'76 L48-'79 L82
Well after having my '79 for almost a year now I am wanting to begin researching the history of my car.

I know that I am the fourth owner of this car and do have all the names in order and hometown locations of the previous owners.

The biggest question I have is my engine.

All I know of the engine is that it is a replacement engine a "GM Goodwrench 350" and the ID # MG31800 on the engine pad in front of the passenger side cylinder head.

Does anyone know of any reference materials or have any information on this engine by the ID number?

I have been told by a Chevrolet Parts Rep that this type of engine is a general duty all purpose 350 cu in V8 and that it was rated around 230 hp.

I would like to know what year this engine is or when it was sold and the true horsepower rating it produces so I can trace to possibly which owner had the engine replaced.

It appears to be a typical L-48 which is what my car appears to have been manufactured with.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Your Chevy parts man probably has the best available info. Sounds like a generic 350 engine. Those are rated at GROSS HP, so the 230 hp would be about 180/190 NET hp, about the same as the base L48. For the year, check the casting date. It is at the back on the passanger side right above the bellhousing flange.

tom...

GM Engine 10067353

Been down this road before. GM does not keep records on crate motors. I've been on the phone with several anylysts at GM tech Division,same answer all the time..No records.Sorry. I have a detailed list of part numbers of the indivdual components used in the engine you have if you are interested. I can fax it to you if you would like. Send me a private message with a fax number and I'll make sure you get it.

Dave

If you know of a dyno, you can find out exactly how much power your engine is actually producing. Or, at least, exactly how much is getting to the rear wheels.

Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom