Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L98 ASP underdrive crank pulley install

tntcorvette

Here is a quick write up on the installation of my ASP underdrive crank pulley.

To install the pulley you must:

1. Prevent the crankshaft from moving. This was done by dropping the automatic transmission dust shield and inserting a screwdriver into the flexplate and preventing it from rotating. The screwdriver was between the flexplate and the transmission body.

2. Remove 4 bolts holding o.e.m. pulley in place. Easy thing to do. Then pry off with long bar or such, careful not to hit the harmonic balancer. I did this by using a long thin bar and wedging it against the o.e.m. crank pulley and the water pump housing.

3. Refering to step one, move the long screwdriver to opposite side of flexplate/transmission housing to prevent the crankshaft from moving in the opposite direction. You will be turning your socket wrench the opposite direction for install.

4. Clean and inspect bolts. If they are fine, apply permatex threadlock on the bolts and install new underdrive pulley and torque to factory spec's.

5. Install new shorter serpetine belt, remove screwdriver from flexplate, and reinstall dust shield. Lower car from jackstands.

One thing I had to do extra, is remove my cooling fan because my R/D Racing camber brace, which I love, would not allow me enough room to wiggle out the o.e.m. crank pulley from the lower engine bay area. Removing the single fan was easy via 4 bolts.

Attached is a picture of the o.e.m. pulley and the ASP underdrive pulley.

BTW, I got the ASP pulley from summit racing for $51. I'de say money well spent.

Enjoy!!!

*EDIT* For some reason, the picture of the pulleys is 146,000 bites and the max to post here is 85,000 and I cant get it to shrink. So if somebody want the picture and can shrink it and post it here, let me know and i'll email it to you.

Send me the pic and I will knock it down to size and post it for you.

speedkarts@terra.es

Have a safe and happy New Year.

picture is sent. Thanks for your help and happy holidays too!

Just as a quick FYI, you can rent/borrow a special gear puller kit specifically for removing the crank pulley on an SBC (it connects where those four bolts were removed from). If you're not careful, you can very easily damage the harmonic balancer which can wind up causing trouble later. Same goes for installing the new pulley - don't bang the new one on or you might damage the crank bearings.
[RICHR]

I totally agree. I actually installed the center bolt first, then the outter bolts, then torqued the center bolt and then the outter bolts.

:beer

just to give you guys/gals a update, the underdrive crank pully is working out fine so far. Funny thing is when I look at my motor run it really looks like the accessories are tuning slower. I guess that is so because they are turning slower.

But my car idles at 800 rpm in drive so maybe that is why I am not noticing any problems or such.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom