Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lakewood scattershield fit?

Ed's 1970

Corvette
1970 Stingray coupe
Hi all, does anyone know if a lakewood steel bellhousing will fit my 1970?
There must be someone who has installed one of these, does it fit and how is the fit?
I was told to install one with my big block motor in case the clutch disk explodes. I have heard different answers on this..The other option is the Mcleod one and a new lightweight one which is selling on ebay.
Thanks Ed :beer

I have the same question, I may have to fit one in a C3 and I'm not sure the 15000 will clear the firewall. Also not sure if the arm is the same as well.

Yes, a Lakewood bellhousing will fit your car - however,

1. You'll need to dial it in to your crank centerline with adjustable offset dowel pins - they're seldom within specs out of the box.

2. Don't use the Lakewood clutch fork - use your stock GM fork.

3. You may need an adjustable clutch fork pivot.

Do you really need it? Do you frequently exceed 6000-6500 rpm?

:beer

I was told by a very reputable machine shop to install one with anything over 500 horse and they knew a guy who's clutch blew up in a high horse camaro recently, they said the guy was lucky he did not get injured. The stock bellhousing if very flimsy if u ask me and it's worth the extra hassle to not loose one of your legs. And if the car is ever run at the track, u must have one of these.

I thought the same thing about the rpm's, the guy said no it has more to do with power, not rpm. I don't know if this is true or not.

John,
There are no clearance issues with the scattershield? I know about the adjut ball stud, like setting up a Centerforce clutch- PITA.
I have to look at the damage to the present car and see if this will be a benefit for the driving style of the owner.

Ed if you end up installing one,post some pictures.

Gary

Sure Gary, but I read somewhere that the Mcleod unit is better all around, better fit and more precise, so I may go with that unit. I am also interested in that lightweight unit on ebay, the guy says its made here in the us, not imported, but I believe that lightweight unit is not sfi approved. I need to do more research and I will let u guys know what happens in the end.
Ed

John,
There are no clearance issues with the scattershield? Gary

The only clearance issue will be reduced ground clearance directly below the bellhousing due to the additional bolting flange at the bottom; hangs down about an inch or so closer to the ground than the stock bellhousing.

:beer

Thanks Guys,
In my case, I'm going over to check on the car today. Another friend has a good used sheild, not sure which brand it is I have to check that out as well.
I thinking about building a 12 bolt diff next up so the shield may be needed for that car as well.

Go on the internet to The Corvette Restoration Page, here a guy shows a complete restoration of a 73. He put a lakewood shield on. He gives step by step with graet pictures of install.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom