Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Looking for some horsepower!

pscarby68

Corvette
01 Z06 Speedway White
I have an 01 Z06 that is bone stock. I am putting on a Vararam Intake, TPC Longtube Headers and x pipe, Corsa Extreme Exhaust, Cam, and then a tune. How much HP can I estimate at the rear wheels?

Last edited:
I have an 01 Z06 that is bone stock. I am putting on a Varoom Intake, TPC Longtube Headers and x pipe, Corsa Extreme Exhaust, Cam, and then a tune. How much HP can I estimate at the rear wheels?

No way to know for sure, every powertrain in a vehicle is different, you will need to dyno it to find out.

No way to know for sure, every powertrain in a vehicle is different, you will need to dyno it to find out.

Does this sound like a decent direction to go? Trying to not break the bank as well.

Sounds like you are on the right track to me. But having it Dynoed is the only real way to know how much you are gaining. Have it dynoed first, then again after the parts are installed, and then tuned.

I'm not familiar with a "Varoom Intake" but the addition of headers and an X-pipe will improve performance.

What's not easy to predict is the effect of an aftermarket camshaft because you don't say what cam you are going to install.

Finally, with a cam and headers, an aftermarket calibration (a "tune") obviously will be necessary. How valuable the cal is depends on 1) how much of a cal change is necessary and 2) who does the cal work.

I'm not familiar with a "Varoom Intake" but the addition of headers and an X-pipe will improve performance.

What's not easy to predict is the effect of an aftermarket camshaft because you don't say what cam you are going to install.

Finally, with a cam and headers, an aftermarket calibration (a "tune") obviously will be necessary. How valuable the cal is depends on 1) how much of a cal change is necessary and 2) who does the cal work.

Vararam intake. Not sure what kind of lift, duration, or manufacturer would be needed for my setup. I want to run premium fuel without any additives if possible. Do you have any suggestions?

after a few years away, I rejoined the Corvette-crowd last June, when I came into this 2003 model (the blonde is a 1960 issue), and only recently was able to log-in again to this site (?)
Carol%20-%202015-10-30-cropped_zpsbtgvvcfj.jpg

am just beginning to think about making changes to increase the HP levels, but don't want to jeopardize the transmission / rear-end / axles / etc. (I already have a back-halved race car that gets 1 MPG), so I'll be following this topic closely

I finally completed the upgrades

I have an 01 Z06 that is bone stock. I am putting on a Vararam Intake, TPC Longtube Headers and x pipe, Corsa Extreme Exhaust, Cam, and then a tune. How much HP can I estimate at the rear wheels?

In May of 17 I did in fact install the Vararam intake, Headers, Catless Corsa Extreme exhaust, Texas Speed Torquer V2 Cam, Upgrade valve train, and a tune. All in total gave me a little under a hundred HP to the rear wheels. Absolutely love how it turned out. Thanks to Bob from Brady's Performance in Willow Street PA.

The Vararam is a modern ram air setup. Although it won't show much on a dyno, a lot of owners claim it will on the road or the strip.

Headers will add power as will the cam depending on which cam. Headers add 35-45 HP at the tires depending on what other mods are made. Some cams are a bit too hairy for the street.. The cam manufacturers print specs on their cams; where they come on and top RPM etc.
[FONT=&quot] Basically it boils down to what you want as a result. [/FONT]

A dyno tune is a necessity. Although personally, I wouldn't waste the $$ on a stock pull. Most shops charge $50 for a run stock; then make the modifications and tune it. As I did my own installation, I paid for the "real" tune.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom