Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Loss of Vaccuum Assist

milehigreg

Corvette
1989 Dark Red Coupe
Lost vacuum assist on my 89 coupe. Brakes are still functional but it takes a lot of leg power. As soon as I depress the brake pedal I can hear a noise (air). Easier to hear inside the car. From the engine bay I can hear it and it sounds like it's coming from inside the vacuum booster.

Check valve stuck closed?

Check valve stuck open?

Hole in diaphragm?

Closing the loop

I don't like to leave threads open ended, so here's the resolution to the problem. I ordered a reman power brake booster from thepartsladi on ebay. Just couldn't bring myself to pay the additional $200 for an AC Delco. It is a cadmium plated metal unit made by MMB. It is a bit smaller in diameter than the black plastic one I took off. The one I took off was not original, I know this because the socket was left on one of the nuts up under the dash from the last time the job was done. The guy ( dealer) I bought it from 5 years ago told me he had replaced it.

So, I did it in less than 2 hours. I was able to do it without removing the seat and without disconnecting the master cylinder. I no longer have to provide the power to my power brakes. :upthumbs

Glad To Hear It

Glad to here you got your problem resolved ! Also thanks for "closing" the thread, I'm with you on the "not leavin' them open ended" :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom