Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LS7 Rocker Arm Failures

I have an '07 Z and am concerned with this issue too. :W

From all the information compiled in the 2 yrs of watching the forums, I would say we don't really need to worry about this problem.

Just check your magnetic oil drain plugs when you change your oil, and if you hear any out of the ordinary noises from the engine, take it in to your dealer to have it checked out.

Remember, you have a 5 yr. 100K miles warranty. :upthumbs

augydog :beer
Took mine in for a ticking sound. Dealer said it was normal.Of course Same dealer had to have his guys look up in my owners manual to located the 2nd oil drain plug. Did not inspire confidence in me. And boys I wouldn't lean to hard on that warranty thing. You ever see what happens to stock holders and consumers when a co. files bankrupcy? I have , we get screwed.

:mad
I had three needle bearings attached to my drain plug @ oil change #3. (15k)
The dealer replaced the BROKEN ROCKER! It was missing 16 of the 33 needle bearings. I too was told the remainder will come out in the oil changes. My car was built 05/07! Since most of these seem to be LS7s built between 12/06 and 05/07, why are they not recalled?
I am not happy! I love my Vette but am very disappointed!
;squint:

Yes, you'd think GM would be concerned about the failures and their reputation, but apparently not. It was the same with the early C6 with the crank bolt issues. GM's reply to the failure issue was to call them when they failed, and they would tow it in and fix it. Mine failed 2,000 miles from home, and GM didn't pay for the 5 days it took to get the car back on the road. At the end of the day, GM still doesn't know how to treat a customer.

What month was your '07 built?

From the information I've seen, the one's with the rocker arm problems seem to fall between
January '07 thru June '07 build dates. There is a list of rocker arm failures on another forum that shows 23 Z06's so far. All are 2007's.

I think I would do 1 of 3 things if you think there might be a problem.

1. Take it to the dealer and tell them about the rocker arm problems on the 2007 Z06's and let them listen to the engine.

2.. Get the oil changed and look for needle bearings on the drain plugs.

3.. Remove the valve covers and inspect the rockers for problems.

If it was my car, I would immediately get the oil changed, or pull the valve covers before putting many miles on the car.

Good luck and let us know what the problem is.

augydog
Where do you look for the engine build date on the car. I have an 07 z with a ticking sound at idle, which is exacerbated under throttle. Oil has been changed 3 times with no hardware on the drain plug. My dealer says the noise is normal "they all do it". Of course if the car got hit by a train my dealer would say it's supposed to look like that. They all do.

Mine is an 07 and doesn't make make apeep. Tell yur dealer to clean the wax out of his ears.

Nice Vette!

Yes, you'd think GM would be concerned about the failures and their reputation, but apparently not. It was the same with the early C6 with the crank bolt issues. GM's reply to the failure issue was to call them when they failed, and they would tow it in and fix it. Mine failed 2,000 miles from home, and GM didn't pay for the 5 days it took to get the car back on the road. At the end of the day, GM still doesn't know how to treat a customer.
:beer How do you like your Ron Fellows machine? Has your dealer contacted GM on your behalf? I was hoping to take my Vette to a track event. Now I am not so sure that I trust it. ;shrug

I had used roller rockers on small block Chevy’s for years till I stopped racing about five years ago, I was rather surprised by Chevy using them on a production vehicle. Anyone who has had experience with roller rockers can tell you that a good set such as the Crane Gold, will last about 15-25k miles before they have to be replaced. Less if you spend a lot of time in the upper RPM range. I would check with some of the aftermarket manufactures to see what they are saying about their product durability.

Denny

:beer How do you like your Ron Fellows machine? Has your dealer contacted GM on your behalf? I was hoping to take my Vette to a track event. Now I am not so sure that I trust it. ;shrug

Ron is running good, and has only been to the dealer for a new battery under warantee. Everything else, I take care of. I just drove it from AZ to NC, and it ran like a top - 27mpg at the speed limit plus 5 mph. So far, so good!:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom