Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lt1 Exhaust recommendations ?

JimBobC4

Corvette
1995 Dark Red 6spd Convertible
After driving my 1995 6 speed a few hundred miles, I've decided I want a little more bark to go along with the bite.

I want a muffler (or chambered pipe) that lets me hear the LT1's music but doesn't resonate inside the car. I want a sound that is healthy but isn't obnoxious like Bubbas truck next door. :eyerole

I'm not real interested in the $1500 high end exhaust kits as that is a bit beyond my budget. However,I think a nice set of mufflers is within reach. I prefer a BOLT ON option as I don't really want to modify the car.

Any suggestions for the later model (1992-1996) C4's ? ;shrug

CORSA $1299.99 in Mid America catalog but that would be pushing your "high end" limit.
Might find the system at a discount at other places (Ecklers?).

Thanks ! but yes that was the one I was talking about being a "high end"
system. With tax tag title destination charges, :) etc. It comes out to about 1500 bucks. I want the Corsa sound without the Corsa price.

yeah I know, if you play you gotta pay ....

However, I'm sure a reasonable (less expensive) alternative exist.

There are more expensive systems out there than CORSA and I've seen CORSA listed around $999 in different magazines.

You really need to find all the C4's in your local club with non-stock exhaust and go for a ride. Most people will love to show off their sound for you.

My best friend wanted the 600.00 TPIS cat back but didn't like the looks of the tailpipe tips. So I called TPIS and for 225.00 I got there 3 inch catback pipe shipped. Then ebayed a set of Flowmaster super44's for 170.00 and then polished stainless LT1 tips for 65.00. Then the 3 inch elbows to connect the mufflers to the tailpipe were 26.00.

out of your budget though he also bought the ceramic coated TPIS headers for 850.00 which brought his total exhaust price up to what 1350.00

Although his is a 1990 L98 six speed probably nearly the same. His car has a really healthy sound to it now. I can't tell you what just the catback would sound like though but I'm sure others can. FYI the TPIS catback starts as a 3.5 inch pipe then splits off into two 3 inch pipes.

There are more expensive systems out there than CORSA and I've seen CORSA listed around $999 in different magazines.

You really need to find all the C4's in your local club with non-stock exhaust and go for a ride. Most people will love to show off their sound for you.

$999 thats close :W

Now all I have to do is decide what brand of bologna I want to eat for the month ;).

There has to be a reasonable priced bolt on ? muffler\pipe or whatever that I can use.

If I can spend around $500 :eyerole and get the sound I'm looking for Im happy.

I don't want headers or chrome exhaust.

I don't want to hack up the original pipes

I like the LT1 tips but they are not a must

Its the sound Im looking for. :D T

that unmistakable SBC burble .... :beer

Go to your local muffler shop and ask them to cut off the mufflers, weld in some pipe and weld your muffler tips back on. Cost should be about $100.00. Not as noisy as you might think, the cats absorb most of the sound. Do a search on this forum, one of the members recently added muffler eliminators and has a sound clip in his post.

ed: sorry it wasn't posted on this forum it was here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=2081710

Go to your local muffler shop and ask them to cut off the mufflers, weld in some pipe and weld your muffler tips back on. Cost should be about $100.00. Not as noisy as you might think, the cats absorb most of the sound. Do a search on this forum, one of the members recently added muffler eliminators and has a sound clip in his post.

ed: sorry it wasn't posted on this forum it was here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=2081710

Your idea of noisy and mine are two different things :D

20 years ago I wouldn't have said that :)

However that exhaust would attract people I really don't want to talk to. :eek:hnoes

What about the same setup with a decent set of silencing tips on it ?

Remember, the outside sound may be nice but if it resonates inside while cruising, you ain't gonna like it.

Get a ride in a few cars with different systems before you spend the money and cut pipes.

You could find an exhaust guy in your neighborhood who deals with Magnaflow. He can buy the parts/system from Magnaflow for way below what you can find it anywhere else.

Check out Magnaflow's website. They are now selling a cat-back system for LT1/4s that is not listed because it is so new. You should call them to get the info.

Negotiate with your exhaust guy. Let him know you do not want to pay the "Corvette tax" to get this done. Pay him a little extra (mark-up) on the parts and let him make his money on his labor.

I have yet to find a reputable repair shop that would not work with me! Of course, I have almost 40 years working in the industry! :L

SAVE the gosh darn :w

Get a ride in a few cars with different systems before you spend the money and cut pipes.

Tuna, you keep throwing logic at this ! :D
However, you do have a point.

LT4 man I like the magnaflow sound on the website. Thanks. I'm going to try and hear it live.

1k is a lot of money to fork over for something you may not like.

and to think, I used to have a sticker on the rear window of my 1970 SS Camaro that said...

If it's too loud, your too old. :boogie

sad sad sad :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom