Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 vs GS (mostly a discussion of brakes)

1996 LT4 Topic
Jeffvette said:
Bias spring nt sure as I changed everything out at once, But I notice the rear pads are being used more now.

As far as the pad, I was using the Hawk HPS up front which worked better than stock GM stuff, doesn't dust much and is quiet.

For the Brembos, I went with the Hawk HP+ which is a race compound. And will still be using the Hawk HPS on the rear with the J55 calipers.

Thanks....
I am going to change out the pads come spring, so I wanted to get some input.

Jeffvette...In case u haven't tried it the GS brakes work just fine from 180.

Um, I would not say "GM component" as they are PBR and Girtling parts. I am sure they could/would have provided alternate parts if GM had ordered them.

Remember that even though these are high end sports cars, most people are not doing multiple high speed runs (upper 100's). Therefore, they are building for a range in which most people will use them. As such, the brakes will do fine for one decceleration from the upper band, but back to back runs may uncover a weakness.

I know that the stock 12" brakes would "humm" when I was using them heavily. The stock HD system (with cross-drilled) does not do that.

Hey, some of us driver harder than others.:bu
-Mike

I guess I should have clarified my GM part.

When you sell a sports car ,it should have brakes capable of sports cars. Look at Porsche, Ferrari, etc. The braking systems they use are great.

Somebody paid 60,000 for a car that is capable of doing 180 (it was designed to compete with the euro crowd) why not equip it to do so safely.

Somebody paid 60,000 for a car that is capable of doing 180 (it was designed to compete with the euro crowd) why not equip it to do so safely.

GM is starting to get that idea as it is trying to make the Vette and the XLR compete in Europe with these types of cars. At the same time, GM wants to make the car a sales hit for the average buyer. I think that if GM put the brakes (and other components) on the car that you need/desire, the cost would be more in the $80k range and take it out of the current average Vette drivers pocket book. That would not be good for GM or the Vette.

brooks said:
Jeffvette...In case u haven't tried it the GS brakes work just fine from 180.

Did you paint them or do they come like that. I know you bought them for the performance but the look is solid as well!:cool

cgtarga1 said:
Did you paint them or do they come like that. I know you bought them for the performance but the look is solid as well!:cool

they come in red or black as the most common colors. You can powder coat them anything you wish. I have seen a yellow set and a green set floating around, as well as a silver.

I stripped these of the original coating as there was some cosmetic damage to them and re coated them.

I've also done a set of J55's that way as well.

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/jeffvette//img_0340.jpg

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/jeffvette//img_0341.jpg

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/jeffvette//img_0342.jpg

I would love to have brakes like that of a Porsche. On the $$ side though, does anyone have an idea of what ceramic brakes are going for? (My wallet just ran for cover.)

Honestly, I know what you mean, and understand your frustration. I just know that the bean counters get in there and compromises are the order of the universe.

You want real frustration....get a Fox body Mustang. Then you come to me about brakes that don't hold up. :eek They have a hard time with normal driving, let alone the high speed stuff.

Topless said:
I would love to have brakes like that of a Porsche. On the $$ side though, does anyone have an idea of what ceramic brakes are going for? (My wallet just ran for cover.)

Last time I saw a set of Brembo ceramics, it was a 6/8 piston kit with 15" rotors for roughly 12k

That may be nice part of the $$$ that people pay for a new Porsche.

I don't think the majority of Corvette buyers would be willing to shell out that much for brakes off the showroom floor.

Jeffvette said:
Last time I saw a set of Brembo ceramics, it was a 6/8 piston kit with 15" rotors for roughly 12k

You could buy another car for $12K!!!:)

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on this thread but if newbys read up on the past posts, I would like to correct all4c4lt4 on a statement that there are less 96 red lt4's than 96 Grand Sport coupes. There were 810 coupes made and 190 convertables made for Grand Sport option, not 1000 coupes.

The carbon brake rotor option on the 03 Turbo is 10k...but the factory says the rotors will last forever. If you see a Turbo with yellow calipers that's the carbon brake upgrade.

I upgraded my LT4 with drilled and cryo'd rotors from Diversified on all 4 corners, Hawk HPS pads, Rippie bias spring, Goodridge stainless lines and ATE Super Blue fluid. Standard track upgrades. No problems with fade and it will haul you down like a boat anchor...and I'm used to Porsche brakes.

No matter what the car...flush the fluid often. Mine gets done after every track session.

By the way...there were only 34 black with red interior LT4's made.

vetteguy said:
My LT4 has the J55 option(High perf. brake pkg.) I thought all LT4 cars had this option. Guy
The J55 RPO code goes back to 1986, it was standard with the Z51 package.
It remained with the Z51 option until 1991 when the Z07 performance handling package came along. The J55 was also standard on the ZR1 Special Performance Package. In 1996 the Z07 went away and the Z51 came back on the option list. The J55 heavy duty brakes were again standard on the Z51 option.
I think I remember reading someplace that all LT4 equipt cars also recieved the Z51 package, so that might explain why all LT4 engined cars seem to have the J55 brakes. Seems logical to me.
BTW, back then those 13 inch rotors (actually 12.9 inch's) were about the best one could find on a domestic automobile, and could outbrake many from across the pond in highway service. The 1993 Z07 had one the shortest braking distance measured, (105 ft 60 - 0). That, at the time, was very short stopping indeed. I know mine felt like it would suck the eyeballs outta yer head :eek when hitting the binders at high speed.

But the one's on my Z06 are even better, I guess I should say the best yet from the factory.

vettepilot

J-55 Brakes

Thanks for the reply. I still have mt 96 LT4 and I am still very happy with it, as for the money it is still fast enough for my budget for a daily driver (60,000) now, same clutch and water pump.(crosss fingers on the opti-spark) I had a LT1 WS6 TA. the early TA opti-spark that was un-vented and was replaced three times in 150,000 miles. Have driven many ZO6 C-5's ( I work at Auto leaing co.) and they Rock, the 405 later verison is my favorite.

And thank's to Jeff Vette for the links.
LAB3

J-55 Brakes

jon81 said:
The carbon brake rotor option on the 03 Turbo is 10k...but the factory says the rotors will last forever. If you see a Turbo with yellow calipers that's the carbon brake upgrade.

I upgraded my LT4 with drilled and cryo'd rotors from Diversified on all 4 corners, Hawk HPS pads, Rippie bias spring, Goodridge stainless lines and ATE Super Blue fluid. Standard track upgrades. No problems with fade and it will haul you down like a boat anchor...and I'm used to Porsche brakes.

No matter what the car...flush the fluid often. Mine gets done after every track session.

By the way...there were only 34 black with red interior LT4's made.
Mine is 1 of 119 Torch Red with the Biege and Black. The Fiske FM10 wheels were on it when I purchased it. Still having Big Fun.

if you want to get real technical... the GS factory brake pads are different from the regular 96 brake pads. GM shows 2 different part #'s. the only difference can be compound, as the pads are idential otherwise. Look on that same website that shows the calipers.

BTW I use my 1996 brakes with serious race pads, and they work fine at the track with repeated use. no fade. Good fluid, cooling ducts, proper pads... there is no need for aftermarket brakes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom