Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 vs LT5

1996 LT4 Topic

AlHewitt

Corvette
1996 LT4 CE Z51 - 2010 LT3 GS
True confessions...

Had a Red, austere, 96 with 40K miles, the LT4 and not many options. A great ride... I had it for 4 years and along came a pretty face, a 94 ZR1 with all options and 21K miles. I went for it, sold the LT4 and I must say, I've been disapointed. The ZR1/LT5 is truly an awesome machine, once it gets to 4000 RPM it will say HELLO. But gentlemen we don't dive at 4000 RPM and above most of the time, that is, we drive low end torque. And IMHO the LT4 has more drivable low end torque. After studying the LT4 I'm convinced it is one of the best bangs for the buck. Yes, I've been through the opti-spark issues and it is all fixable. The General gave us a gift in 1996.

I have come to terms on a 96 CE with 21K on the clock, LT4, most options inc. the Z51 supension. I'm psyched. It is a new day. I'll keep the ZR1 untill I get tired of it or until someone has to have, but I believe the LT4 will be here for a long time to come. I'm back.

Al
1966 C180
1994 ZR1
1996 CE LT4

Not to start a war ... But Both are about the same up to 100 mph, it is up to the driver.. My LT5 will roast the tires at low RPMs and low speeds just by pushing the gas down. may you have some issues that need looked into.

They should come alive at around 3K RPMs, but the secondary system will open below this based on throttle % and RPMs.

Good luck with finding a new LT4..They are both great Vettes

I own a ZR1 but I've driven and tested both.
The LT4 was the absolute high-point in the "traditional" (Gen 1/Gen 2) Small-Block V8 design and at 330 SAE net or about 380-390 at the flywheel was the most powerful production SBV8 ever.

That said, my experience has been that in the low-end and mid-range the two engines are comparable--provided, of course, they're both running right. Another issue to consider is the ZR-1 is about 200 lbs heavier than a 96, so the weight might have some impact on this discussion, too.

However, if the difference below 4000 rpm is that noticeable, I'd tend to think that maybe that particular LT5 might have "some issues". Perhaps cam timing is off? Or maybe you're getting some false knock retard?

Also, Marc Haibeck in Chicago has done a lot of continuing development with LT5 calibration. One of Mark's "chips" might make a difference, too.

Congrats on having fine stable of Corvettes!

Got a call about a mint condition red ’91 Z that was coming in at a local dealer. Salesman that I had been talking to tried steering me away from the Z saying that they weren’t as lively as a LT4 down low. He suggested that I think about the kind of driving I do and consider if getting a high end screamer is really what I wanted. I haven’t put much stock in his opinion.

In the next two to three years, I intend to purchase a ’95-’96 six-speed vert or a ’92-’94 ZR-1. Started looking at Zs this past spring and was going to unload my LT4 with the intent of using the proceeds for a pristine Z. At this point, I am keeping my LT4 and will be adding a C4 vert or a Z to keep the ’96 company.

I worship the ZR-1, it’s my dream Corvette. Its proportions are beautiful, the aesthetic appeal of the LT5 motor is unrivaled... the finest looking engine ever dropped into the Corvette IMHO.

Haven't had an opportunity to drive a Z as of yet to compare how it feels compared to my LT4. I’m pretty sure that roar of the LT5 at high rpms would leave a pretty big smile one my face.

B17Crew
:w

I AGREE WITH HIB HALVERSON NEED TO HAVE THE Z CHECKED OUT.

STEVE

My ZR1 has been the shop several times looking for any issues. The symptoms were a hesitation at low rpm's and rapid throttle movement. A fix was found by reprogramming the chip to increase the timing at low rpm's - 1000 to 2000 and opening the throttle quickly. A 4 to 6 degree advance in timing at these rpm's improved the hasitation problem. I get an occasional knock if I lug it down but for the most part it responds better. It is 'engine temperature dependent' and works best when it is up to normal temps. However it does not respond as well as my LT4 did. Maybe I'm expecting too much from it. With 4 cams and the associated mass it may be what it is. Performance is good, it pulls hard to 7000 and shifts usually break the tires loose. It will not smoke the tires simply by standing on the throttle at low speeds. I'm not sure that is any measurement of performance as tire traction and road conditions come into play... I have not dynoed it or run it through the 1/4. Maybe the thing to do is get it on a dyno and look at torque and HP vs rpm. Is there any published 'normal' read-out available for the LT-5 in terms of tprgue and HP for a given RPM? Or are the variable too many to have it mean anything?
Thanks for the input.
Al

I own a ZR1 but I've driven and tested both.
The LT4 was the absolute high-point in the "traditional" (Gen 1/Gen 2) Small-Block V8 design and at 330 SAE net or about 380-390 at the flywheel was the most powerful production SBV8 ever.

That said, my experience has been that in the low-end and mid-range the two engines are comparable--provided, of course, they're both running right. Another issue to consider is the ZR-1 is about 200 lbs heavier than a 96, so the weight might have some impact on this discussion, too.

However, if the difference below 4000 rpm is that noticeable, I'd tend to think that maybe that particular LT5 might have "some issues". Perhaps cam timing is off? Or maybe you're getting some false knock retard?

Also, Marc Haibeck in Chicago has done a lot of continuing development with LT5 calibration. One of Mark's "chips" might make a difference, too.

Check out this site..

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/

My 91 with a Marc Haibeck Chip & catback puts out 339.01 RWHP 346.05 Torque has about 44K miles on it..

My ZR1 has been the shop several times looking for any issues. The symptoms were a hesitation at low rpm's and rapid throttle movement. A fix was found by reprogramming the chip to increase the timing at low rpm's - 1000 to 2000 and opening the throttle quickly. A 4 to 6 degree advance in timing at these rpm's improved the hasitation problem. I get an occasional knock if I lug it down but for the most part it responds better. It is 'engine temperature dependent' and works best when it is up to normal temps. However it does not respond as well as my LT4 did. Maybe I'm expecting too much from it. With 4 cams and the associated mass it may be what it is. Performance is good, it pulls hard to 7000 and shifts usually break the tires loose. It will not smoke the tires simply by standing on the throttle at low speeds. I'm not sure that is any measurement of performance as tire traction and road conditions come into play... I have not dynoed it or run it through the 1/4. Maybe the thing to do is get it on a dyno and look at torque and HP vs rpm. Is there any published 'normal' read-out available for the LT-5 in terms of tprgue and HP for a given RPM? Or are the variable too many to have it mean anything?
Thanks for the input.
Al
The LT5 has a very healthy low end. 300+ lb-ft of torque from 1000 rpm to 6000 rpm. If you can't break the tires loose stomping on it in first, something is wrong with it, or maybe you drive around on DR's or slicks? Coupled with what you described as low-throttle hesitation, it really sounds like something is wrong.

FWIW, I don't think a tune on a stock car is the appropriate way to address a drivability issue. Certainly a tune can be beneficial, but only to improve things on an already well-running car. If something is wrong, it needs to be fixed, not tuned around.

I see you are in Seattle, WA, you may want to give Jeff a shout: http://www.pnwzr1.com/

Also, if you aren't hitting 4,000+ rpm very often, you aren't doing it right... :_rock

Jeff Flint has done the work on my car, Jeff has joined up with Tom in Vancouver, WA and together they have the LT5 place to go. Having said that Jeff has a highly modified 90 ZR1. I've driven it and the throttle response on it is much more crisp than mine. Jeff had a great road rally a couple of months ago and my ZR1 would run with the pack. My point is the HP is there it just seems to come at higher RPM's than does the LT4. I'm not going to shoot my ZR1 just pointing out to the LT4 folks that IMHO the LT4 is a better driver than MY ZR1. Like I said I'd like to run it on a dyno.
BTW ha any one on this list ran their LT4 on a dyno and id so what HP and torque are you seeing?
Thanks
Al

The LT5 has a very healthy low end. 300+ lb-ft of torque from 1000 rpm to 6000 rpm. If you can't break the tires loose stomping on it in first, something is wrong with it, or maybe you drive around on DR's or slicks? Coupled with what you described as low-throttle hesitation, it really sounds like something is wrong.

FWIW, I don't think a tune on a stock car is the appropriate way to address a drivability issue. Certainly a tune can be beneficial, but only to improve things on an already well-running car. If something is wrong, it needs to be fixed, not tuned around.

I see you are in Seattle, WA, you may want to give Jeff a shout: http://www.pnwzr1.com/

lt4 dyno results

Jeff Flint has done the work on my car, Jeff has joined up with Tom in Vancouver, WA and together they have the LT5 place to go. Having said that Jeff has a highly modified 90 ZR1. I've driven it and the throttle response on it is much more crisp than mine. Jeff had a great road rally a couple of months ago and my ZR1 would run with the pack. My point is the HP is there it just seems to come at higher RPM's than does the LT4. I'm not going to shoot my ZR1 just pointing out to the LT4 folks that IMHO the LT4 is a better driver than MY ZR1. Like I said I'd like to run it on a dyno.
BTW ha any one on this list ran their LT4 on a dyno and id so what HP and torque are you seeing?
Thanks
Al

My LT4 generated 307.4 rwhp and 311.5 lb-ft in the best of 2 dyno runs on a dynojet. The only modification at the time was a b&b tri flo catback 3" system.
:beer

My LT4 generated 307.4 rwhp and 311.5 lb-ft in the best of 2 dyno runs on a dynojet. The only modification at the time was a b&b tri flo catback 3" system.
:beer

FWIW, mine stock did 291 rwhp and 310 lb-ft on a Mustang dyno with something breaking up the HP curve over 4800 rpm. Temps were in the low nineties, humidity in the low eighties...

True confessions...

Had a Red, austere, 96 with 40K miles, the LT4 and not many options. A great ride... I had it for 4 years and along came a pretty face, a 94 ZR1 with all options and 21K miles. I went for it, sold the LT4 and I must say, I've been disapointed. The ZR1/LT5 is truly an awesome machine, once it gets to 4000 RPM it will say HELLO. But gentlemen we don't dive at 4000 RPM and above most of the time, that is, we drive low end torque. And IMHO the LT4 has more drivable low end torque. After studying the LT4 I'm convinced it is one of the best bangs for the buck. Yes, I've been through the opti-spark issues and it is all fixable. The General gave us a gift in 1996.

I have come to terms on a 96 CE with 21K on the clock, LT4, most options inc. the Z51 supension. I'm psyched. It is a new day. I'll keep the ZR1 untill I get tired of it or until someone has to have, but I believe the LT4 will be here for a long time to come. I'm back.

Al
1966 C180
1994 ZR1
1996 CE LT4

The performance figures and specifications listed below were compiled by Forum Member, Stan A (Stan Adelman) of Auto Performance Test Lab located in Atlanta, Georgia. The Corvette Action Center would like to thank Stan for allowing us to post his Performance Review Data here.
Regarding the stock LT4 horsepower numbers, Stan explains:
The LT4 really can vary in Horsepower and torque. Like I said, the average one on the street comes in between 350hp to 360hp. We have tested over 125 LT4 units since 1996 and found that less than 25% of the units come in under 345hp. About 15% come in between 360hp and 375hp. About 10% range between 375hp and 385hp. 2% have been found to hit the very low 390hp range. This is all stock from Bowling Green. Keep in mind that the torque also increases too. One unit came in on the dyno at 392hp/426lbs-ft torque @5850rpm. Very rare but still present out there. This is why there have been reports of LT4s running with or past ZR1-LT5 cars over the years. Basically, the LT4 will out run the LS1 in 75% of all cases.
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...96/96perf.html

The LT5 engine is a multi-valve overhead cam design.

The LT4 engine is a two valve cam in block design.

In my over 35 years of experience in the automotive mechanical repair industry, I have yet to see a normally aspirated overhead cam engine put out tons of torque at low RPMs.

I am impressed with the LT5. I will have one in the future. But, someone would have to throw a whole bunch of cash at me to let go of my LT4! My LT4 SCREAMS and the throttle is instantaneous.

JMHO!

SAVE THE :w

I own Both a ZR1 and Grand Sport LT4

Both have thier strong points and weak points. With that being said I also feel the LT4 is a tad quicker in the low end.

However it's a minor difference. The ZR1 will light up the pavement and feels like a Dragsteer in pulling power that nails me to the seat,

I have to also state that the ZR1 will break the tires loose by just stomping on the throttle if in the correct gear for the speed.

It has a DRM chip and a few other DRM mods. But Dont get me wrong the LT4 winds up quicker at low RPM's.

I belive if I really wanted to to make the LT5 a tad quicker in the low end all I would need to do is change the Rear End gears to 4:10 or 11 that .3 to .5 tenths gain would make them equal but would sacrafice some of the 180 mph high end....

Like there is anywhere I can use the 180 speed anyway.:boogie

As I said it's a minor difference. The ZR1 would walk away from the LT4 after 40 MPH or so. the way it is. I drive Both cars differently anyway.
after all they are totally different engines. BOTH are mean machines

Larry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom