Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Magnaflow Mufflers are installed

ocrick said:
I am considering installation of the newer Walker Y-pipe with cross tube and either the Walker Quiet Flow series mufflers or their SS high performance series.

What do you reccomend to keep the peace in the neighborhood?

Rick

I definitely recommend the rear 'Y'-pipe with cross-tube: I guess you've gathered we developed it in Shelbyville, then when Stacy Smith went to Walker, he took the design with him! But it works.

And as for keeping the peace, and if you don't have a "race" engine, just want to enjoy a powerful, balanced car, I'd strongly recommend a pair of OE replacement mufflers - they work fairly well and are acceptably quiet. The Walker "performance" mufflers will wake the dead!
(What I have now for my '89 is a pair of OE-like mufflers but with both outlet pipes functional - it's too noisy for comfort, so I occasionally plug one of them!)
Regards,
R
PS: There's still a bunch of the old gang back at the Exhaust Lab!

HA! A thread revival....

Redbob....on my '92
I tried the cutting out the KBD baffle box and replacing with an x-pipe(as it turns out, a poorly designed one), no help with the noise in the car.....next-balace tube on my...no luck. Well, it moved the interior noise back a little, but nothing significant. So...I redid my entire exhaust! oops....there goes the $$$$$$....
I am starting a new post with what I have done.....let me know what you think.

Topless said:
HA! A thread revival....

Redbob....on my '92
I tried the cutting out the KBD baffle box and <snip>...
I am starting a new post with what I have done.....let me know what you think.

What have you done?

By all means, let's revive this thread!
There's bound to be SOMEONE out there who has redone his exhaust and is happy with it!
Regards,
R

Well, since I couldn't kill the drone, I decided to rework the exhaust to make it better.

It starts with the right side cat- Taken off, 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 (what ever factory size was) exit pipe with factory crimp, removed and replaced with 3" pipe. Cat was put back, and flows better. Now it matched the left side.

From the cats back, all 3" tube..Just in front of the spare, where it spits, there is an "X" pipe. Currently, I am looking for tips. I am open to suggestions. :)

It sounds a bit more like a NASCAR than what what rolled off the assembly line Bowling Green. I don't have a way to put the audio on the web, sorry. I will try and get a couple pictures of it to post.

I still have some drone in the car, but at least it pulls better. Before, it would have a hard time breathing over 4K rpm. Now, it roars up to the redline. I want to get it to a dyno and see how it does. I seem to have lost a little torque, but man does pull the top end.

Magnaflows were the optional mufflers. I am still having fun with the straight pipes though. I don't know how long that will last. :L Probably until I meet a girl, and actually try and hold a conversation with her the through the rpm band. :O

Topless said:
I am still having fun with the straight pipes though. I don't know how long that will last. :L Probably until I meet a girl, and actually try and hold a conversation with her the through the rpm band. :O

My personal recomendation would be to leave the mufflers off, then... ;)

If I were you, starting from scratch, I might have gone with a size or three smaller pipes, like 2-3/8" or at most 2-1/2" tubing.
There's a little better sound quality when the pipes aren't oversize.
But if it works for you, that's all that matters.

You might be able to get an OK sound file if you just carried your laptop out to the car and used Sound Recorder for a few seconds.
You could do interior noise, too, at your best or worst-sounding speeds.
Re - Rgards

I asked about going 2 3/4, but he said it is hard to find, and he would have to get the mandrels to bend it. I know I have lost some torque this way, but its ok. I have picked up more HP than I lost in torque, so it is a bit of a trade off.

I will see about dragging my laptop out there. (how did you know I had a laptop?)

I still have to get tips. I think that might cut a little noise. Right now, the pipes are curved down and shaved off about where the stock mufflers should be. Any suggestions on tips or where to look? Thanks

First things first:
There's NO need to do mandrel-bend pipes on one of these cars, with an ordinary engine!
I've done the flow-bench measurements, and the difference between mandrel-bend and open-bend piping, especially in 3-inch, is negligible; it's within the limits of test variabillity.

As I may have mentioned previously on this thread, I (or rather, guys reporting to me) put a 2-3/8" open-bend system on a production '90-model ZR-1, in place of the 2.75" production system, using the production mufflers and resonator, and we saw about a 15% REDUCTION in backpressure!

Regarding tips: as long as they go as far back as possible without you barking your shins on them when you walk by, there's not much difference.
Except for this: If you can devise outlets such that the last 7" - 10" are larger in diameter than the rest of the system, say, expanded up from 3" to 3-3/8" or slightly more, with a smooth transition zone (over maybe 1/2" or so of length), you'll see both a slight reduction in noise and a small reduction in backpressure.

(If that last explanation wasn't entirely clear, look for something like an '80's or earlier Ford van or pickup single exhaust outlet pipe, that's expanded like I've tried to describe).

vms4ever; Is that a factory color under your avatar?;)
Oh well, you know where to get a touch-up stick....

mufflers

I installed some new ones at a local shop and I am really happy with the results. They look and sound great.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom