Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Major Engine Work Advice Requested

V

volavet

I am having my long standing intake manifold oil leak fixed, water pump replaced, coolant flushed (orig coolant!!) and the optispark while their in there done. They did not mention anything about getting a new thermostat or replacing wires/plugs - which seems to be a common theme among some of the posts. Any comments or advice about whether I should have these done as well (thermo and plugs) since it still runs perfect. Also, any other items I should consider replacing for preventative maint.

My 96 CE has 33k miles, all stock, all orig parts including tires, which need replacement badly.

Since I mentioned it, any advice on tires, I was planning on going with the Kuhmo ECSTA MX tires. They seem to have good feedback and are reasonably priced.

Thanks for the advice and Help.

Definately have the plug wires changed while they're in there! It's a major pain to do, having just done it on mine.

Barry

I would certainly replace the thermostat, as they are cheap and it is old. The consequences of failure could be very large. Cheap insurance...

The thermostat comes with the water pump kit as long as its OEM. If you want a lower temp then you need to buy one seperately. I enjoyed reading this post because I just did this EXACT thing last month. When I had the intake off, I cleaned it thoroughly inside and out. I also took sandpaper to the runners and gave it a light polish. I then replaced the gaskets with the GM performance version "66"s. I would definately replace the wires while your in there as well as the plugs. You might as well put a new coil in for $30 and don't forget the Dist shaft seal in the timing cover. It's a lot of work and I'm sure not cheap. How much is it costing you if you don't mind me asking?? Good luck
:beer

Its approximately $2k, Im having the water pump, opti spark, coolant drained/block drained, overflow replaced, intake manifold oil leak fixed-its leaks all over both sides of the engine at this point, and the clutch master cyclinder. I think I will also try and get all the fluids changed i.e., rear differential, clutch fluid. My rear diff is leaking slightly, but they said to just keep an eye on it.

Well I don't think you need to change the opti spark. 94-96 the opti sparks are good. What do you all think? That would pay for a tire or 2.

Sounds like this was a garage queen. That motor you have in there is a race motor, you need to run it hard sometimes or you will have problems. Example leaky manifold.

Heat is the enemy. All the rubber parts of the cooling system need to be replaced. I have blown up hoses, not fun. Try are 160 thermostat. Hypertech have a good one. I put an electric water pump in mine. I live in the south, I need better cooling. Plus it gave me 5 exta HP. Add redline water wetter to the cooling fluid too.

I would replace the Power steering fluid too. I have blown that up.

Welcome to the club.

I second most of what has been said, having just had mine apart. A new T-stat will come with the new water pump. I don't know what temp range it is so as discussed if you want something different take the pump apart and replace it. I replaced my Opti Spark system and I intended to replace the plug wires. I bought new wires but when I got to looking at the old one which were numbered 1, 2...8 the new wires (GM) were not marked with the cylinder numbers. With 40K on my LT4 I opted to leave the old wires in. They can be changed in the future with some difficulty; I just didn't like the new set I had when I was at that point on the 'fix'. I did replace the plugs, what a wonderful experience that was!
Al

Thanks for the feedback. As for the Opti replacement, it is working perfect, but I have had the water pump weeping for quite a while, so I am concerned thatthe Opti may be a ticking time bomb and it is safer to take the hit now and replace it, then later.

Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom