Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

mallory distributor 474B201A D70-9

lbreen

Corvette
1984 coupe, 1992 coupe
Hi To All,
I would like to know if this distributor can be adapted to work on a stock 84 crossfire, with a/t. Bought it at a garage sale from a guy I know from the town I live in. It has a vacuum advance. Would work for sure on an older small block Chev.
The reason I bought it is that I have no spark. The coil tested good and the pick-up coil was open. The factory manual said 500 to 1500 ohms. Is there an adapter to make this work, or should I get the pick-up coil. Maybe there is a test for the ignition module. Thanks, Any help would be great, LB

To answer my own question. This distributor, is listed by Advance Auto as a replacement on the 84 Vette. Just have to figure out how they adapt it . Still using the ECM and so forth. Still looking for thoughts or ideas. Thanks Lbreen

As the saga continues, There is no spot on the Mallory to use ECM control. I think I will not be able to use the distributor. I may have to rebuild the original. Any thoughts? Lbreen

Hi To All,
It has a vacuum advance.
That information on the other forum could have saved us both a lot of time and trouble. First, all Gen I SBC and other Chevy V8 distributors, physically interchange. But no distributor with a vacuum advance canister is compatible with a computer controlled engine. To try to adapt that distributor into your car will be much more trouble and expense than fixing or even replacing the stock distributor.

RACE ON!!!

I'm just Thankful for your fine help. Thanks for your patience LB

I'm happy if I was of help and that you have your solution.

RACE ON!!!

I'm happy if I was of help and that you have your solution.

RACE ON!!!

But could you tell us about your mods on your crossfire?

But could you tell us about your mods on your crossfire?
What does that have to do with the OPs Mallory distributor? I have posted my home spun modifications in many threads on many forums. Some have even been in innocent response to your ever pestering requests. As you like to accuse others, it is clear that you are stalking ME. If I told you again, you would forget or ignore it again, and ask me again, like right here. Then you would call me a liar, again, and state that I have or accuse me of having midifications I don't. You have proved yourself to be a relentless stalker, a rude pest, and in general a trouble maker. You have busted into threads where the subject isn't being discussed to pester me to buy an unproven and unavailable product. Just as you have busted into and hijacked this thread about a Mallory distributor. Go away. Cease and desist. Quit stalking and pestering me.

RACE ON!!!

Sorry I asked ceasefire:thumb

Sorry I asked ceasefire:thumb
Sorry for which of the many, many, times? Go away! Leave me alone! I have answered waaay too many of your questions. If you paid any attention, you wouldn't have asked again. Why your neighbors (Canada? Montana? Or any other fictitious location) allow you to live is a mystery. Begone!

RACE OFF!!!

Hi,
Just to kind of update. I have replaced the pick up coil and ignition module. Looking for a quick fix. To no avail. I have started to dig in to the FSM and even the Haynes (little funky). Have found proper voltage at the ESC module and at the pink wire on the distributor. Have read of the function of the ESC, not what I first thought. The car should fire up even if this was bad. Remember, the coil tested good, the pick up coil bad.
Need to focus on the books and follow through. Between work and house etc. hope to get one of my adult sons to help this weekend. I will not give up. Thanks for your support and the ears, Thank you Larry

Sorry for which of the many, many, times? Go away! Leave me alone! I have answered waaay too many of your questions. If you paid any attention, you wouldn't have asked again. Why your neighbors (Canada? Montana? Or any other fictitious location) allow you to live is a mystery. Begone!

RACE OFF!!!

RACE OFF?

I must be just to powerful for ya. I gotcha, you don't want to lose:thumb.

RACE OFF?

I must be just to powerful for ya. I gotcha, you don't want to lose:thumb.
Do you have any power? How did you draw that conclusion from pestering me, once again? If pestering , harassment and relentless following, stalking and bothering is power, then yes, you are too powerful for me.

Don't want to lose, what? All I want to lose is YOU. You are the one that failed to show, weaseled out of the challenge YOU issued. You have demonstrated your abilities your character, your power. Your actions have told more about you than you could ever write. Take your multiple user names and multiple locations and leave the honest, well meaning, people, especially your false idols, alone. None of us need or want your pestering or deception. And yes...

RACE OFF!!!

Hi,
Just to kind of update. I have replaced the pick up coil and ignition module. Looking for a quick fix. To no avail. I have started to dig in to the FSM and even the Haynes (little funky). Have found proper voltage at the ESC module and at the pink wire on the distributor. Have read of the function of the ESC, not what I first thought. The car should fire up even if this was bad. Remember, the coil tested good, the pick up coil bad.
Need to focus on the books and follow through. Between work and house etc. hope to get one of my adult sons to help this weekend. I will not give up. Thanks for your support and the ears, Thank you Larry
Larry, it is a little hard to follow along with your problem with the rude, hijacking, off subject interruptions and harassment. If the pick up coil tested bad, I would have suspected replacing it should have restored spark. The large pink wire that plugs in at the distributor cap is the main power supply to the ignition system. What proceeded the failure? Were you doing maintenance? An upgrade or modification? Had you recently done either of those? Did it just die driving down the road? Sometimes knowing the history helps with the diagnosis.

The car just died while driving along at a regular pace. I did have a low battery. It needed to be driven, and didn't get fully charged up till I got it home and put it on the charger. Not needing any maintenance or down for any reason. We all know these C4's need fully charged batteries to operate right. Battery seems to be holding a full charge, I should use the load tester on it.

I doubt the battery contition would be the problem. If you still have no spark, I would start trouble shooting the ignition system to find out why. Are there any codes present?

RACE ON!!!

Have checked before, and no codes, Great idea, will check for codes. I like how you know your Vettes. You have to be a very good mechanic. Either schooled or self taught. Both I'll bet. Thanks LB

Thanks for the complement. Most of it is just good common sense. I hope we can get your problem fixed without wasting a ton of money.

RACE ON!!!

no codes

Have checked twice, no codes. Put timing light on it and the light, lights on the number one cyl. no mark in site on crank pulley, when it's turning while cranking. Would the light flash if no spark? I don't think it would because it fires on inductance (spell?)from the high tension number one plug wire. I'm thinking I some how I went 180 degrees out.(on rotor). I marked the housing and I thought I marked the rotor. I'm sure the housing is in right. It would not go back in the same spot. That is what makes me think I'm 180 out (half turn out), on the rotor housing. I know you have to account for the curve of the mesh gear. But the slot has to go in the slot or it won't pop in. Tried to explain it, maybe not very well. LB

Since the timing light lights, you have spark.

Basically, you need 3 things to run:
1) Air
2) Fuel
3) Spark

You do have spark since the timing gun if firing, but you may not have it at the right time.
To troubleshoot, hook the timing light up to cylinder 6 and see if you see the timing mark. If you do, then you're off 180.

The original balancer is a 2 piece design with a rubber pad in between. As they age, it is possible for the outer piece with the timing mark to twist. If that happens, then the timing mark is no longer in the correct place and you need to replace the balancer.
If it turns out the balancer is fine and the timing is correct and it still won't start, then you are missing Air or Fuel.

Air is pretty much a given, so start looking at fuel.

Good Luck!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom