Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Man badly injured in car wreck

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Man badly injured in car wreck

1959 Corvette slammed into by Jeep

The Leaf Chronicle

Clarksville, TN - A man was injured badly Saturday night when his 1959 Corvette was hit nearly head-on by a Jeep Wrangler Sport, officials said. The wreck happened at 11:08 p.m. at Madison Street and Denny Road.

Rescue workers flew the driver of the Corvette, who suffered major injuries to his lower body, to Vanderbilt University Medical Center via Air Evac.

attachment.php

Robert Smith/The Leaf-Chronicle

Emergency personnel work to remove the driver of a 1959 Corvette from the car after it hit a Jeep Wrangler on Madison Street near Denny Road late Saturday night. The driver of the Corvette was flown to Vanderbilt University Medical Center. The driver of the Jeep was unhurt. The wreck is under investgation by Clarksville Police FACT member Mike Caver.

attachment.php

The Leaf-Chronicle

Robert Smith/The Leaf-Chronicle Clarksville Police FACT member Andy Bechtold marks the loacation of a1959 Corvette after it hit a Jeep Wrangler on Madison Street near Denny Road late Saturday night. The driver of the Corvette was flown to Vanderbilt University Medical Center. The driver of the Jeep was unhurt. The wreck is under investgation by Clarksville Police FACT member Mike Caver.

looks like someone was in the turning lane....probably both of them going for the same spot to turn left......

What a sad sight that is. Looking at the damage, it's not hard to understand why the driver suffered major injuries to his lower body.

Let's all remember that there isn't much safety forgiveness in these old cars.

It is also easy to see the reason for collapsible steering columns, as well

there is a weekly cruise-in on Saturday nights in Clarksville at the Wendy's (I believe) on Madison St. Madison St. is where this wreck occurred. If I find out anymore info on this accident, I'll post it.

FYI - Clarksville is located about 30 miles northwest of Nashville and is the post town of Fort Campbell.

Looks like the cars did not survive. Let's all hope and pray that both drivers do!!!

RWW

Let me shed some light on this story. The man is the brother in law of one of our members. The sad thing (and I won't mention the name here) is that he has had some martital problems and from what I was told by family is he had been drinking and was going to a restaurant on Madsion Street when he struck the Jeep. As you can see by the pictures the car is a mangled mess. So family thinks came into the lane too fast. He has suffered a broken hip, some broken ribs, lost some teeth so probably some facial damage, perhaps a broken wrist and bruised chest area. Ths is all I know for now. Could be more but this came from my call to family this morning. Police are still investigating but like I said I got this from family. We are keeping him and the family in our thoughts and prayers. It's really tragic that this happened. It's a time when cars don't matter and life does. Thank goodness the person in the Jeep did not suffer this kind of injury which would have doubled the tragedy. Just my $.02. I know his sister is very upset as this could have turned the other way and life lost. One of those things in life that you wish had not happened.
Bill
Corvettes of Clarksville

EDIT: Drunken *******
The man driving the Corvette was wrong for drinking and driving, Leave it at that!
Bud Dougherty
Forums Administrator

Sorry, but even the NEW ones look like this after a Jeep hit's them.

I have owned 27 Corvettes, and always drove them like I was on pin's and needles while my wife and I were out on a cruise, because no one else cares or are gawking at some of the nicer, rarer ones that I was driving at that time, and would nearly slam into me while gawking at it . especially teenagers, wabting a better look so I would stop and let them look it over.

This is a truely sad situation. It is a good reminder of how vulnerable we are when driving these old cars. They are no match for the modern crash engineered vehicles.

Tom

Hopefully the Corvette driver will fully recover. The 59 is done.

Man Injured badly in wreck

EDIT: Drunken *******
The man driving the Corvette was wrong for drinking and driving, Leave it at that!
Bud Dougherty
Forums Administrator

Bud, thanks for the edit. I read Hotwing's reply as it was sent automatically to me. I don't condone drinking and driving..definitely wrong. The imiportant thing here is thank goodness the Jeep driver was uninjured and the driver ( they got his name wrong in the article) of the Corvette did not die. Knowing our system here and once the investigation is completed and if as I was told he is found having been drunk and driving he will have to face that charge. The article stated in this morning's paper that he was not wearing his seat belt and suffered multiple injuries, including a broken jaw, fractured pelvis and a broken left hand. Yes, a wrong and a big one occured but the positive is people are alive and not dead. I know he has been going through a lot which I don't need to air here. I'm just thankful that it wasn't worse. At the moment I am more concerned about the well being of those involved and impact on families.
Bill

Man injured badly in wreck

Sorry, but even the NEW ones look like this after a Jeep hit's them.

I have owned 27 Corvettes, and always drove them like I was on pin's and needles while my wife and I were out on a cruise, because no one else cares or are gawking at some of the nicer, rarer ones that I was driving at that time, and would nearly slam into me while gawking at it . especially teenagers, wabting a better look so I would stop and let them look it over.

Dell, I know what you mean. We are vulnerable and moreso the older they are. I love for people to be looking at my vettes and others as we cruise too different places. One of the things we stress is to be very mindful of others looking as they may be paying more attention to the cars. I have driven old Model A's and you get the lookers and it feels really good but you are always watching out for the other person. I recently bought a 59 Mercedes and its a looker so know I really need to be careful when driving. Seatbelts have been added but only the older type. At some point I may incorporate the newer ones as some other drivers of these old Mercedes have done.
Bill

1959 Corvette crash

What a sorry sight!....let's just hope that the 1959 Corvette driver fully recovers.
Drinking & driving is a big NO-NO!!!

Who are we to pass judgement in the absence of the facts?

That steering column and wheel tell a brutal story. Not pretty.

I can't understand

Sorry to see the outcome, but with alcohol involved, the inevitable was already in the cards before the Vette was even started.

One more reason for ZERO tolerance. I can't understand why the legal system still permits people to take to the road with the rest of us, after ingesting alcohol.

ZERO means ZERO

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom