Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Maxwell House Coffee" can in front of car

Evolution1980

Administrator
Corvette
ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
I'm only posting first because I haven't had the time to get under the car and give a good look...(or maybe I'm just feeling lazy...hahaha...:L)

Dead denter of the car, just behind the front bumper is that big black coffee can on a steel rod. I was thinking that's a vacuum reserve canister or something. Well, it seems as that the support rod attached to it, where ever it mounts up near the engine has broken free. Am I expecting to find a broken spotweld or possibly just a bolt missing? It's no major thing right now, it only vibrates against the frame (or something else metal) when the car is at a lumpy idle... But I don't want the vibrations to loosen anything else, plus it annoys me when it does vibrate.

EDIT: I just had to come back and edit this. Is it possible that this can is just the exhaust tip that got lodged up there after all the rice I've been eating??? :L :L :L :L

charcoal canister?

I believe you are talking about the evaporative emissions canister.

It is a charcoal canister. It stores vapors, adsorbing them onto the charcoal during periods of high emissions and the engine sucks the gases out of the canister during cruising and burns them.

Buy some black tie-wraps and tie it to the frame?

Would it be OK to assume that since I'm not running any emission controls that I'm not using the canister anymore? Obviously, when I do eventually get under the car, I'll see if there's any hoses connected to it.

evap canister

I thought the evap canister was under the driver's fender, like right below the master cylinder...???...accessable only from underneath...???
:?
Heidi

Did you say it was metal or plastic. Most evaporative canisters are black plastic, the metal cans are usually for the vacuum reserve. The evapoative canister is associated with the fuel tank/ carb vent lines. The fuel vapors flow into the charcoal inside, are trapped and retained by the charcoal, then when the engine is started the vacuum line sucks fresh outside air through a filter on the underside of the canister, through the charcoal, and thus removing the trapped hydrocarbons from the charcoal.
vettepilot

I'm pretty sure mine's metal, and I'm pretty sure it's a vacuum canister... but that's why I'm asking...

topless82vette said:
its for the headlights vacuum
That's what I thought. Isn't it like the reserve or something? I know there are the smaller cans directly behind the headlights. I thought that was like a backup or something. How is the end of the rod closest to the engine secured?

Thats a good question! It looks like it is spot welded or attached in some other fashion just below the evaporator or in front of the radiator.

Past experince,Take a good look at the can for pinhole rust.They tend rust and be a major vaccum leak,Thought this might help.

Evolution1980 said:
EDIT: I just had to come back and edit this. Is it possible that this can is just the exhaust tip that got lodged up there after all the rice I've been eating??? :L :L :L :L

No! It would have to be chrome:D.

:w
Guy

I think it's a reserve vacuum canister too. It has been totally disconnected from my vacuum lines. Plus side is that it doesn't matter if it's got a hole in it the size of a tennis ball. Minus side is that pop-up lights will only go up and down with engine running!!!

Lessee...it's vacuum that keep the lights down, so how would that figure in? Hmmm...not sure... :confused
I should just stop being so darn lazy and look it up in my books..hahahah :L At this point, it's just fun to play guessing games! :L

Vacuum also powers the air doors in the HVAC system. So if you have A/C (even if you don't) the air doors will have a tendency to move to the spring loaded position under heavy acceleration when the intake manifold pressure drops. This is often the reason so many Corvettes prior to the C4 run around with "one eye open" the vacuum reserve isn't holding them (it) shut.
Vettepilot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom